Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed and ADHD/ADD?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by bongsnblunts24, Apr 3, 2013.

1. I have had attention deficit disorder since i was like 5, it always used to cost me to pay attention in school, like i would literally read an entire story and not know what it was about. I've only gone to school high a couple of times but i somehow felt more attentive, although to be fair it was a chill day. I never had insurance when i lived in the US so i couldn't get any pills for it(Fortunately). I was just wondering how cannabis affects anyone of you blades who had ADHD/ADD.

2. My friend has it he says weed definey helps him

3. I can't speak from any kind of experience, but here's a bunch of info from Granny's list all about cannabis and ADD/ADHD. Could be helpful. :)

ADD/ ADHD

ADHD by Ryan P (anecdotal - no date)
    ADHD by Ryan P

Marijuana and ADD Therapeutic uses of Medical Marijuana in the treatment of ADD (no date)
    Therapeutic uses of Medical Marijuana in the treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder

Recipe For Trouble (anecdotal/ news - 2002 )
    Recipe For Trouble - 48 Hours - CBS News

Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients (full - 2003)
    Molecular Psychiatry - Association between cannabinoid receptor gene (CNR1) and childhood attention deficit//hyperactivity disorder in Spanish male alcoholic patients

Cannabinoids effective in animal model of hyperactivity disorder (abst - 2003)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? (news - 2004)
    FOXNews.com - Cannabis 'Scrips to Calm Kids? - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC (abst - 2007)
    Unbound MEDLINE | [Fitness to drive in spite (because) of THC] Journal article abstract

Science: THC normalized impaired psychomotor performance and mood in a patient with hyperactivity disorder (news - 2007)

Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (full - 2008)
    Association of the Cannabinoid Receptor Gene (CNR1) With ADHD and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Cannabis Improves Symptoms of ADHD (full - 2008)
    http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/..._2008_01_1.pdf

Cannabis use and adult ADHD symptoms. (abst - 2008)
    Cannabis use and adult ADHD symptoms. [Drug Alcohol Depend. 2008] - PubMed result

Autism, ADD, ADHD and Marijuana Therapy (news - 2008)
    Entheology.org - Preserving Ancient Knowledge

Why I Give My 9-year-old Pot (anecdotal/news - 2009)
    Why I am giving marijuana to my 9-year-old autistic son.

Why I Give My 9-Year-Old Pot, Part II (news/anecdotal - 2009)
    Why I give marijuana to my autistic child.

4. Weed is great for after my adderall or days I don't take it

5. I have a friend with ADHD and he's a very new smoker. He's only tried weed a few times and says it never really does anything to him.

And he isn't lying, me, him and a couple of other mates had a sesh out of my bong and got completely ripped, but he didn't seem affected at all, he had red eyes, but he said he only felt slightly wierd but definately not a buzzed or drunk feeling.

And yes, he was definately inhaling properly, we were watching him like a hawk!

Does anyone else have this problem/know of anyone who just isn't affected by weed, and why?

6. idk. i know the first two or three times i smoked i didnt get high. idk what i was doing wrong but i didnt. it actually happens quiet a bit for people

7. Yep, even when people "inhale correctly" many people do no experience a "high" their first few times.

8. I have ADD that I take adderal for, and I have this problem very often. I find it very difficult to get any kind of head high withing 8 or so hours after taking my meds. However, I will definitely get the body high that I should be getting. Its definitly an interesting feeling altogether.

9. I dont know about weed making you more attentive. I have ADD and I went to class high all the time but I still spaced out. My friend though had a horrible case of ADHD. Sometimes he wouldn't be able to stop jumping around he was so hyper. He hated taking his pills cause they made his stomach feel bad and he felt like he was being kept down. When we smoked though he was perfect. Still lacked concentration but he wasn't bouncing off the walls with energy like he usually was.

10. Weed makes me incredibly attentive in class. I've gone to school high like 3 or 4 times and I payed way better attention each time. You're very lucky you didn't get prescribed those horrible pills when you were younger. I had to take Adderall, Strattera, Vyvanse, etc. And their negative effects were all terrible. Definitely outweighed the positive effects of them. I mean, I payed attention a little bit better, but not that much. They always made me nauseous, made me lose my appetite (I'd go a day without eating sometimes), made me unable to sleep, etc. Weed is completely the opposite.

11. dude i didn't get high until my like 5th time. lol

12. I take addys also for adhd but since i started using the MFLB i have cut way back on them and find the weed helps a lot more.

13. Thank you, Pearl! :D And here's the more recent stuff-

Oral Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol improved refractory Gilles de la Tourette syndrome in an adolescent by increasing intracortical inhibition: a case report. (abst - 2010) Oral delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol imp... [J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Why I Give My 9-Year-Old Pot, Part 3 (news - 2010) I give my autistic son pot. - Slate Magazine

Dr. Jean Talleyrand Says Marijuana Safer than Ritalin for ADHD Teens (news – 2010)
    Dr. Jean Talleyrand Says Marijuana Safer than Ritalin for ADHD Teens - The Vitals Blog

Science: Cannabis effective in the treatment of TOURETTE Syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (news – 2010)

Loss of striatal cannabinoid CB1 receptor function in attention-deficit[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]/[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]hyperactivity disorder mice with point-mutation of the dopamine transporter. (abst – 2011)
    Loss of striatal cannabinoid CB1 receptor fun... [Eur J Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Why I Give My Autistic Son Pot, Part 4 (news – 2011) Medical marijuana: I give my autistic son pot. - Slate Magazine

Why Omega-3s Affect Your Mood (news – 2011)
    Why Omega-3s Affect Your Mood - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Effects of amphetamine on dopamine release in the rat nucleus accumbens shell region depend on cannabinoid CB1 receptor activation. (abst – 2012)
    Effects of amphetamine on dopamine release in ... [Neurochem Int. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabidiol and clozapine reverse MK-801-induced deficits in social interaction and hyperactivity in Sprague-Dawley rats. (abst – 2012)
    Cannabidiol and clozapine reverse MK-801-i... [J Psychopharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

14. It helps me a lot. my parents made me try a whole lot of different types of medication when i was young but I got immune to quick. In grade 10 I switched myself to pot and never looked back.

15. I have met MANY young people that struggled with ADHD/ADD; They all report: Pot helps me concentrate and understand things. They report, they can tune out all the unstable 'noise.'

The ONE thing they all report, a sativa is what helps the most. Which is the opposite, of what we all thought.

16. #16 fairy boots, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
    I have ADHD inattentive type and OCD. I take vyvanse and remeron. My life feels complete with it. I take vyvanse in the morning when I go to school, when I come home and the vyvanse is wearing off, I use weed to relax, focus on stuff I need to do, watch tv. I take remeron an hour before I go to bed and it helps me sleep and not do OCD checking and thought rituals and not have panic attacks. I think what I do is the perfect example of how medication helps and how weed is a medication that should be legal.

EDIT: Also, I use a vaporizer and prefer high cbd indicas.

17. I think I have this you know or some form of it.

I always used to feel like I had to be doing something, going some where, always restless, never could settle, needed to go out need to do unmentionables, needed to go to bar, needed to be around people, needed to go here needed to go there, mind was in over drive.

I spent my late teens and twenties being like this then found out the truth about cannabis in my late twenties and now all those crazy missions I used to go on constantly looking for things to do, always looking for some sort of new high and just crazy power walking and shit, well thats all stopped.

So I say yes it does help.

Cannabis helps me with a ton of other stuff too both physically and mentally, it keeps my mind balanced which allows me to live a balanced and normal life.

Understanding how this wonder herb works has become some what of a quest of mine, some might say obsession, I say its progression.

:)

18. I really don't consider prohibited drugs to be effective in all sorts of mental health. Until proven effective by experts, I won't be trying it even if I definitely need medication for my condition.