Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Weed after wisdom teeth

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by takethehighroad92, Jan 17, 2017.

1. I know this question has been asked many times but I haven't seem many updated threads on the topic. Since it's legal in so many states now I figured there would be a whole bunch of information but I've found next to nothing and since it's not legal in NY I feel really ashamed asking my oral surgeon. 11am this morning marked my 7th day out from surgery and smoking. I've smoked everyday for the past 7 years (does that sound horrible) I deal with chronic pain, anxiety, panic attacks and depression caused by the anxiety. I smoked cigarettes for 8 years and have not for the past 2 with ease. I have the willpower not to especially when it's accompanied by fear of a dry socket. I was even afraid to post on here for fear of being deemed juvenile and weak but I'm just missing my old comfortable high life so much and talking to people about it and getting their advice will make me feel better. I did not enjoy the vicodin at all I only took 4 out of the 20 they gave me and I hated it- I don't know why weed isn't legal but these trash drugs are, wait yes I do $$$$) I've also tried to embrace this time as a tolerance break even though I've never really been intolerant of it. Should I just wait till the 10th day? Is that even long enough? Or Should I wait until the holes look closed? Has anyone heard of someone getting a dry socket on the 7th to 10th day after surgery? I'm a healthy 25 year old that consumes fruits, vegetables and protein like it's my job, all 4 teeth were erupted so no digging around, stopped bleeding after 2 hours coming out of surgery max and was eating normal nearly immediately after for some background. Any and all advice is so appreciated

2. best advice.. is that it's up to you.

if you feel fine go for it, if you don't think it's worth the risk, don't do it..

we don't know your health or how your body operates

3. Thank you for your input Lenny I guess I'm hoping some chill ass dentist is going to hop on here and give the low down or even a dental assistant but really I welcome everyone's opnion/advice. Hope the start to your year is going good

4. The chance of a dry socket from smoking is possible, also the possibility of infection from passing the smoke over the open wound..... so make edibles

5. Anything that requires sucking will greatly increase the risk of dry sockets. My wife had a lot of complications with dry sockets and it did not seem pleasant at all. I agree with making edibles, maybe a smoothie or something like that (no seeds and no straw).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hmm I'm fortunate enough to have access to edibles which does help but it really isn't the same as smoking for me. I'm curious how many days in did your wife get dry sockets? I'm past my 8th day of healing now and really anxious for these holes to close up. I incorporated a multivitamin into my diet to help speed the healing process up too. Trying to do everything right!

7. She actually got dry sockets the day of or the day after, and for some reason (the dentist was even unsure) they took a couple painful weeks to heal. If you're over a week in to healing I'd say you might be ok smoking, just roll a fat joint or smoke out of a piece with a large draw hole so you dont need to work too much to get a good hit.

8. Thank you and cheetojones so much for replying, I really appreciate it. Your poor wife!! Omg that is terrible and enough for me to keep holding out. Now I'm past day 9, I might even go to day 14 just for the hell of it and especially if I keep hearing more stories like yours. Gotta keep the fear of dry sockets alive, it's the only thing keeping me from saying screw it because I know once I go back to smoking it will only be regularly incorporated into my lifestyle again and I refuse to jeopardize the healing process in any way. With that being said, I do have one more question and I'm even wondering if I should post this as a separate topic. I've been dealing with higher than normal blood pressure this whole period of quitting cold turkey. It's on average about 20bpm more than when I was smoking. Coupled with anxiety, it makes me extremely uncomfortable and fearful that I'm going to have a heart attack. I'd love to know if anyone else has experienced this or if it's normal. I know you guys aren't doctors but any input is helpful and greatly appreciated. Posting on here was a good choice and has helped my anxiety greatly.

9. I get horrible anxiety whenever I stop smoking for any longer than a few days. Not sure about the increase in blood pressure, but it's probably just a side effect of the anxiety.

A large dose (almost double what is recommended as a sleep aid) of valerian root supplements helps me with anxiety during a break, as well as drinking chamomile tea.

I think it's only recommended to avoid any sucking motion or anything that can increase the risk of a dry socket for only a few days following the procedure, so you should be ok now. Of course that depends entirely on your level of comfort, don't smoke until you feel it's safe.

Best of luck! That buds gonna feel so damn nice when you start smoking again.

10. Omg I know I can't wait! You have been so incredibly helpful getting me through this less than pleasant time. Thank you so much!! Happy smoking!!!

• Like Like x 1