Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

weed... a gateway drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Jblaze420, Jan 23, 2003.

1. I agree with you Butter...I wouldn't want to live in a state of anarchy either. In fact I like this country, even though me previous post probably sounded a bit anti-american. It's a poor solution, but I understand why some people feel like overthowing the government.

Butter, I like your style man....you put some thought into your posts!

As far as the gateway theory goes, sure it "might" lead people to try other drugs, but it has nothing to do with the marijuana itself. Especially since weed isn't like a lot of the other "harder" drugs. The ones they refer to are usually coke, meth, usually uppers, so why did weed get tied into that. I say leave it out of that whole mix. It would be a little more understandable to use something like an amphetamine as the target drug and say it leads to harder uppers like coke/crack. I love smokin weed, but I'm not into anything else really, because nothing compares. And I would have tried some blow whether I had smoked weed before or not. It was just curiosity.

2. I started drinking, moved onto smoking, and since then I've been offered (and took advantage of) killers, speed, and a little coke. All were great, but I'll stick to my mary-jane. I love her! :smoking:

3. yeah, I smoked weed a year and 4 months now...I've done coke several times and X twice. I liked X but i hated the after effects. Im not too big on coke and X though..Im sticking with my weed because I love it but i wanna check out shrooms cuz im curious what they're like.

4. gateway drug....for me, no. It all depends the person and how they percieve things. I smoked weed for 2+ years before trying X. Now, im not gonna lie i luved the X but after about 12 pills im done with that shit. Only other drug i really wanna try are shrooms. Other than that, i have no intention on trying anything else.

5. That's exactly what I'm thinking...

6. Alcohol was the gateway drug for me. I drank for the first time when I was 5 because I thought it was apple juice. I didn't like the taste but it'd made me feel "kind of funny" at the time. Then there really wasn't much till I was in 5th grade and I got drunk out of my MIND on bacardi. Ever since then I loved alcohol and just wanted to get drunk and whatnot. The when I was in 9th grade I was getting massive amounts of alcohol for a huge party and my booze hook-up threw in some weed and a pipe for free. A lot of my friends had started smoking and I didn't really get into it tillll... I bought a quad of KB and smoked it all in one night. Now, everything since then is just history. I will do almost any drug, or atleast try it. I've done everything from meth and coke to shrooms and LSD. Yet, the only thing I really enjoy is my weed... occassionally the shrooms and very rarely a coke binge with a friend.

Cigarettes are a whole nother story... during my early high school I used to always hang out in a head shop and just well... get stoned and chill there. One day I was lookin' behind the counter and found a pack of "Djarum Vanilla's"... cloves. I thought they were just regular flavored cigarettes at the time and bought a pack for no reason whatsoever. So... I light one up in the store and it just knocked me flat. I'm not sure why, what happened... but those cloves threw me against the wall. After that for maybe a year I would smoke quite a bit, up to two packs of blacks/cherrys/vanillas/supers/specials or whatnot a week. Always Djarum Cloves though... I quit that because I don't go to that head shop much anymore. Now I never buy cigarettes but will smoke one if offered and take a drag, whatever. That's what keeps my use low and I enjoy being able to take a puff and relax a bit without having something illegal on me and having to hide and puff and getting stoned or what not.

7. Yes, it is the gateway drug just because it is the most harmful yet semi-intense high.
    For me, yeah... I never even thought of trying any drugs before I smoked weed.. now i've done more drugs than most of the people I know.. maybe it just depends on the person

8. Weed wasn't a gateway drug for me.

9. I think it can be, but for me its not. I don't do anything else besides smoke weed.

Like I said, it can be for some people. Usually weed is the first drug anyone tries - I'm sure everyone's first was when they were a kid. In fact, I think weed was easier to get when I was a kid than anything else....

10. wow hahhaa me and my friends did the same shit. we'd walk around at dark puffin on paper, damn we thought we were tough shit. good times haha

11. In my case, I believe it was a gateway drug - I started smoking weed, then came cigs, then drinking, and now I'm a regular cocaine user...

12. I think it technically is in most cases. But i think the biggest reason behind this after finding out how much the gov's has lied to you. Im sure most people drunk alcohol fisrt, but thats not illegal like weed, so thats just disregarded. But when someone tries weed, they go "This is what is so bad?! The Man has lied to me, im willing to bet coke, shrooms, etc arent near as bad as the govt says, maybe ill try them one day"

13. I have been toking for around 8 years now.
    Hardly drink booze.
    I have only tried opium once, with weed.
    And maby some dexies when I was a kid, wich turned out involve a night of burning random objects and stealing newspapers..
    But gateway drug.
    No

14. the gateway drug for me was alcohol. it leaded to weed and weed leaded to tobacco

15. weed is definitly a gateway drug, 90% of drug users (myself included) will always be searching for that ultimate high.

16. they are jusst looking for excuses to say thats why your doing other drugs, now if marijuana was legal, what would be the GATEWAY drug?

17. I have had a discussion before on GC and it depends on the individual. Marijuana is no more of a gateway drug for me as alcohol was since I got drunk before I got high. My peers were more of an influence than Marijuana was. I also hate the gateway issue cause the anti med.MJ crowd uses this topic as a source of propaganda and disinfo. Why not state the MJ is a gateway for some and NOT for others. C'mon that's how most things are in life anyways.

18. I listened to this DEA guy give a speech. At one part he said marijuana is the most commonly used illegal drug in the US. Later he said he had never met a cocaine or heroin addict that didn't originally smoke weed. Well, that kinda makes sense. I mean, if you wanna do drugs, I'd assume you'd get the easiest to get first. It wouldn't make much sense to go straight to heroin, now would it?

Also, think about this, of those cocaine and heroin addicts, how many of them didn't smoke cigarettes? How many of them didn't drink alcohol? Probably zero.

It's like saying McDonalds is a gateway fast food restaurant. Once people eat McDonalds, they'll want to go eat at other fast food restaurants. Or maybe it's just because there's a McDonalds on every corner these days and if you're going to eat at one fast food restaurant, you're probly inherantly gunna eat at others, regardless of which came first.

19. I agtreeee withthat.
    and i also like your name
    but ehhhhhh
    uhhh
    yeah
    boredom.
    but i do agree that weed has led me on to other drugs, because once i found out it was harmless and that those damn people were lying, i researched on my own and discovered the truth about a lot of other drugs/psychedelics

20. Haha that's what I thought I read untill I got to your post. I was like why is this so bad?

:smoke: