Weak Stems - Slow growth?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by TripleBla, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Hey, im new to the forums!

Just started my first grow a week and a bit ago. :)

I read quite a bit on how to do a successful grow, and I chose to go with around 168 watts of CFL.

I've got myself a bag of White Widow seeds, and I germinated four of them, all successfully.
    Before I got my parents totally under the idea of growing marijuana in my closet, I had a few problems. =P

I planted the germinated seeds, and they sprouted .. but I had a major lack of light in the beginning, so I think their stems grew REALLY long, and really WEAK. :(

At this state, the plants can't hold themselves up, and all four of them seem to be leaning on the plastic pots. All four are growing their first pair of phat blade leaves.

Anyways, onto the goods .. Shown below, two of my babies! (Don't mind the shitty webcam quality.) :smoke:

*Edit, they also don't seem to be climbing up to the light, like I've read many plants usually do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lower your lites within 3-4 inches of the plants

transplant & bury some of the stalks in new soil, so that the plant can hold itself up

do not water at the base of the stems on these plants for the next 3 weeks while your waiting for roots to form, water more to the ousides of the pots

also I have found white widows to be sensitive to ferts, dont be in a hurry and use it lightly

3. also within a week or so, after you follow ganja's advice put a very low power fan blow across them too also stregthen the stems you know simulate the wind in a controlled enviroment. and that would all help.

4. Great information, im going to transplant them today. :)

I haven't really used any nutrients, not exactly sure what I should give em =P

thank you both for the awesome tips!

5. i have been using these for quite some time with great success

Vegatative cycle fertilizer
    Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food (they make several fertilizers be sure its this one)
    http://www.miraclegro.com/index.cfm...t/documentId/637153cfaa6b1ff545c0236933b0a7a4
    Fertilizer Analysis: 24-8-16 with micronutrients
    2 level "Teaspoons" per gallon of water, (reduce this by 50% first time application) use this as your water, feed every other watering till flowering, I found white widows every 3 watering

Flowering cycle Fertilizer
    I recommend Fertilome, Root Stimulator and plant starter....
    the NPK is perfect: 4-10-6
    2 teaspoons per gallon of water every other watering........ use this as your water ...discontinue use 3-4 weeks prior to harvest...flush last 2 weeks...I also like to add 1 tablespoon of unsulphured molasses to the last gallon of the flush......thats it no more water .....

6. put a fan on the plants themselves. not overpowering, but strong enough that it moves the whole plant. this simulates the natural wind a plant would get in its natural habitat and it forced the plant to strengthen its stems.

i guarantee it will help

to speed up growth, try a bloom booster for flowering and a grow booster for veg. Vegitative growth needs more nitrogen (first number 12-6-6) and flowering growth needs more of the middle muber ....i think is phosphorus (6-12-4)

definatly get a fan on them, stat

7. Thanks for all the advice, I found a really strong computer fan, and set that up for a few hours today.

I also buried the long, weak steam in the soil .. Here's what they look like now.

[​IMG]