weak males

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by garyfa1, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Was wondering, if I used weak males to pollinate somefemales; would that affect the quality of plants that I would get from theseeds?

:confused:

Thanks

2. If u use a weak male make sure u hav a large group of seeds so u can begin selecting stronger plants. U unlock both good and bad traits of parents. As long as goals are clear and not strayed from , future generations should strengthen and perform as well or better than parents.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. okedawg12 is correct about the goals ....make yourself a plan write down a list of goals of what you want from your seeds,

I want high potency but not at the expense of late maturity good,
     anti mold medium height and best for me is early sexing, may others to choose and design...?

4. A weak plant may be weak due to a lack of vigor genes that you don't want to pass on. But it could be due to genes that cause a lower dedication of effort to woody growth that could be great. BOTH of those are just general analogies. General speaking the rarest phenotypes often contain rare alleles...they can be good or bad once they are breed into another plant.

The recommendations about selection are spot on because regardless of what causes the runt it is hard to predict how those genes will manifest themselves in future generations.

PS I don't know a lot about breeding cannabis but I am an evolutionary biologist. If these generalizations don't apply to cannabis please correct me.