We should all eat bugs

Discussion in 'General' started by thelizardkin, Mar 10, 2013.

1. If we were to use insects as a food source they're high in protein low in fat and there's an estimated 300,000,000 insects for every human they would literally feed the global population and there's no way they could ever run out insects have a very short lifespan and are low on the food chain so they're sustainable

2. but there is a taco bell right down the street...

a lot of people do eat bugs, why not I agree. I'll just go live in the woods and eat bugs and shit and not have a job why not. eating bugs isnt gross, just another thing on this planet. they probably have some crazy vitamins and shit. ants can ccarry many times their own strength so thats why if you eat ants you gain super strength!

3. Mmm. Totally. Maybe deep fry em. Add some ranch sauce.

4. probably get some kind of disease, yum lets feast on the maggots inside dead cockroaches

5. barbeque flavored grubs weren't so bad, i tried them on some field trip back in school. basically though, don't eat bugs if you have other food sources. however, as a last resort, eat whatever crawls your way to survive. unless it's poisonous, and i don't know how to distinguish that, sorry..

6. The only reason we think bugs are gross is because society tells us they are in other country's they eat bugs without a second glance

7. Fucking hell, that was ignorant.

8. as long as they don't taste like farts

i don't like farts

9. Ive eaten giant ants in gold dust, bamboo grubs, scorpions, hornets...even deer penis alcohol....yes china is a fucked up place lol .. But still none of it was disgusting taste wise

10. Yuck. Id much rather eat a cow. Mmmmm beef! Or chicken. Or pig. Or anything really. Except bugs.

11. You're missing out, fried grasshopper is amazing.

I might actually catch a few bird grasshoppers, those get big enough to be worth my time.

12. Actually, many of the things we eat and drink today contain dyes made from crushed beetles. This includes yellow #5, red #, etc. It's in koolaid, M&Ms, and starbucks just recently took a strawberry drink off their menu because the public found out it contained crushed beetles for the coloring. It's not bad, it all passes through the FDA.....then again a lot of things pass through the FDA.......

13. I'll usually eat the bugs that fly into my house

Nothing like fresh fruit fly that's been sitting in dog crap

Omega369 :wave:

14. I always run into those totally wonderously beautifully creepy lollipops with like, cicadas or some shit, grasshoppers in them and whatever. tequila flavored and whatnot. in random cool places, never buy any though. or like, chocolate covered worms and ants and shit. Dunno about all that but in animal mode I would be metal gear solid vibing that entire jungle and eating bomb-ass animal meats

15. Yeah a lot of candy shops in my area carry those lollipops. I can only imagine eating the candy and finding an unfamiliar crunch in your mouth when you reach the center:eek:. How many licks does it take?

16. Actually it's crushed scale insects.

cochineal is a dye the scale insects produce. It's not too common any more, being replaced with various plant-based dyes. That's a real shame, too. The red you get from the cochineal scale is nice and vivid.

17. What do you mean a 'scale' insect? I thought they were a type of beetle?:smoking:

18. i have had chocolate ants before :confused:

but if i had to go out into nature to find my own food supply i would definitely hunt deer or rabbit, or go fishing, before i ate bugs.

19. Scale insects are of the family "Hemiptera", the insect secretes a chemical that hardens to form a protective shell over them.