We NEED faster than light travel.

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Iceni Toker, Sep 25, 2012.

1. It would be 5 seconds to you, but longer for those not going the speed of light to put it simply.

2. [quote name='"Jamezterr"']

It would be 5 seconds to you, but longer for those not going the speed of light to put it simply.[/quote]

Ok I understand sort of, is there a site that explains this more in depth and is easy to digest?

3. #23 Jamezterr, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    This video actually explains things pretty well. :)
    Some things have been proven wrong since then, such as things not being able to travel faster than the speed of light (In normal circumstances most things can't), but pretty much everything else is correct, to our knowledge at this point in time anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0gQevrPTo]Stephen Hawking - Train Ride to the Future[/ame]

4. [quote name='"Jamezterr"']

This video actually explains things pretty well. :)
    Some things have been proven wrong since then, such as things not being able to travel faster than the speed of light, but pretty much everything else is correct, to our knowledge at this point in time anyway.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ0gQevrPTo[/quote]

Thanks mate I'll check it out :)

5. No problem bro. :)

6. #26 DjSmokeBowls, Oct 2, 2012
    This is not technically correct. To each of you individually it would feel like 5 seconds went by. The difference is time for you traveling near the speed of light will have slowed down relative to the people standing still. Time itself does not slow down or speed up it is the perception of time relative to a particular moving object. Relativity is the key here.

Stated simply, the faster you move through space the slower you progress in time. This was demonstrated by Einstein when he fused the ideas of space and time into one thing, space-time, and determined that the perception of the speed of light was always the same no matter how fast you are moving. In order to account for the speed of light being the same for objects at rest and those moving quickly, something has to give.

This is where space-time comes into to play. When one variable goes up, i.e moving through space, the other must go down, i.e. experiencing time. This keeps allows for light to maintain it's constant speed.

This video does a pretty good job of explaining this general idea:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHRK6ojWdtU"]Einstein's Relativity: Time Dilation - YouTube[/ame]

Just curious, what exactly travels faster than the speed of light?

7. [quote name='"Jamezterr"']No problem bro. :)[/quote]

My mind was just blown.

8. Yes that's correct, but that's why I said to put it simply, to avoid having to go into such great detail.

How Can Galaxies Recede Faster than the Speed of Light? - OPT Telescopes
    This is why I said things normally cannot break the speed of light under normal circumstances.

I love having a place to talk about these things, in real life not a whole lot of people can grasp such concepts, and just give you the "Yeah man".

9. The Atomic Constants, Light, And Time Man im upset, i just spent 15mins writing a reply and it got erased and im doing this from a foreign phone (my g/fs phone has internet, mine doesnt) so im sorry i wont be rewriting it all again. I do just ask that you read that paper and lmk your thoughts, i very much look forward to them :)

10. [quote name='"Jamezterr"']

Yes that's correct, but that's why I said to put it simply, to avoid having to go into such great detail.

How Can Galaxies Recede Faster than the Speed of Light? - OPT Telescopes
    This is why I said things normally cannot break the speed of light under normal circumstances.

I love having a place to talk about these things, in real life not a whole lot of people can grasp such concepts, and just give you the "Yeah man".[/quote]

I know what you mean, GC is the only place I can go to talk about all these epic topics you see in the science and nature section, I don't know anyone that I could actually spark a topic like this with /: which sucks because I love this stuff

11. Yeah, and then from time to time you have to sort through the science posts that you know people posted while high lol.

Its a wonderful thing to be able to discuss these sort of things in a nice and friendly environment, I'm a bit of a lurker though, don't post near as much as I just like to read other's posts.

12. Yea this is what I thought you meant and as it says in the article the galaxies aren't actually moving faster than the speed of light. It's the space that is really moving so that's why I said that nothing can move faster than light speed.

It's pretty much just semantics but I wanted to make sure people don't think that objects themselves are out there moving faster than the speed of light.

13. [quote name='"Jamezterr"']

Yeah, and then from time to time you have to sort through the science posts that you know people posted while high lol.

Its a wonderful thing to be able to discuss these sort of things in a nice and friendly environment, I'm a bit of a lurker though, don't post near as much as I just like to read other's posts.[/quote]

Yeah I'm the same here haha. That Steven hawking train video really did put it into a nice concept, but If someone could help me, I just cant mentally grasp the part where traveling the speed of light for 100 years would only feel like a week inside the train. Does that mean you would have aged 100 years in what seemed a week? Or would you have just aged a week older while anyone outside the train aged 100 years older? I just can't seem to understand how this is possible /:

14. #34 Jamezterr, Oct 2, 2012
    Well no the objects themselves arn't moving all that fast like the article points out, but the objects kind of ride a wave if you will.

Similar to another theory posted on the first page about "Warp Drive".
    With the Warp drive the object wouldn't move 10x the speed of light, but just condense space in front of it, and expand the space behind it (Similar to how the galaxies are moving away from us).

Still isn't it exciting with all the new discovery involving light speed, time travel and even interstellar travel popping up in the last few years?

It kind of saddens me though that in this point in time humans are on the "Theory" stage of all these wonderful things we have wondered about and often times thought impossible. Its very unlikely we will see any of these things put into physical form.

15. Those on the train would simply of aged a week, and to those outside the train it would of been 100 years.

As DjSmokeBowls pointed out the faster you go the slower you progress in time, so since the people on the train are going near the speed of light they progress through time much slower than those outside of the train.

16. #36 ChiefChiefer, Oct 2, 2012
    You would have only aged a week. Think about it like this, all of the atomic processes are regulated by forces that move at light speed. If two atoms are moving near light speed and one emits a photon, it would take take longer for the photon to reach the other atom since it is moving at the constant speed of light. now apply that logic to all atomic and molecular processes that make up your brain. since it takes longer for "events" to happen near the speed of light, your neural activity is slowed down. But to you, everything seems normal, because the very processes that allow for your perception are all uniformly slowed down. So what seems like a week to your slowed down perception, is in fact 100 years in comparison to everybody else who isn't travelling at light speed.

EDIT: damn Jamezterr beat me to it lol

17. The bolded parts are correct. As mentioned in the video, the perception of time slows down significantly for the people on board the trains RELATIVE to the people outside of the train. So as you stated for the people outside the train 100 years of "normal" time has passed. The people on the train aren't on "normal" time they are on diluted near-light-speed time which means that while 100 "normal" years past, in diluted near-light-speed time it feels like only a week has passed.

Thus they are 100 years older but only feel one week older due to the dilution of time caused by traveling near light speed. It is crucial to think about the perception of time of both parties relative to each other.

Edit: shit two people beat me to it

18. Thanks for clearing that up guys, simply amazing how It works like that, so it really is possible to travel great distances in what seems short amounts of time? Nice :D I love this stuff thanks again!

19. [quote name='"DjSmokeBowls"']The bolded parts are correct. As mentioned in the video, the perception of time slows down significantly for the people on board the trains RELATIVE to the people outside of the train. So as you stated for the people outside the train 100 years of "normal" time has passed. The people on the train aren't on "normal" time they are on diluted near-light-speed time which means that while 100 "normal" years past, in diluted near-light-speed time it feels like only a week has passed.

Thus they are 100 years older but only feel one week older due to the dilution of time caused by traveling near light speed. It is crucial to think about the perception of time of both parties relative to each other.

Edit: shit two people beat me to it[/quote]

Would that mean that if I took the train, I would die in a week or would I be 100 years old but only look like I aged a week

20. It would be the latter.