Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

We need a gathering of this sise for our cause

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Bud Head, Feb 15, 2003.

1. Antiwar protesters chant slogans as they make their way up Queen Street in Auckland, New Zealand, on Saturday. The day has been declared as a global day of protest against a war in Iraq.

Tens of thousands rally against war

Protests in Asia kick off
    weekend of global rallies

MSNBC NEWS SERVICES

Feb. 15 - Tens of thousands people demonstrated across Asia on Saturday, kicking off worldwide protests against any war in Iraq. Antiwar organizers in New York and London geared up for what they hoped would be massive rallies as the peace movement was expected to spread to more than 600 towns and cities stretching from Tasmania in the south to Iceland in the north.

• eDiets Diet Center
    • Shop at B&N.com
    • Auctions at uBid
    • Yellow Pages
    • lavalife.com Where singles click
    • MSN Broadband

• An issue guide
    • U.S. deployments
    • The order of battle
    • The U.N. role
    • Iraq's exiles
    • Slide show: Saddam's Iraq
    • Tools of warfare
    • Complete coverage: Conflict with Iraq

DEMONSTRATORS CLOGGED a park in downtown Seoul, South Korea, to chant and listen to a series of anti-war speeches. The crowd, estimated at 1,500, held signs that included one reading, “Drop Bush, Not Bombs.”
    New Zealanders chanted slogans like “One, two, three, four, we don't want your bloody war!” Over Auckland harbor, a plane trailed a huge banner reading “No War - Peace Now,” at the international sailing competition.
    The New Zealand antiwar protesters flew a peace banner at the America's Cup.
    On Friday, at least 150,000 people packed the streets of Melbourne, Australia, to protest any war on Iraq, to which Australia has already committed 2,000 troops, jet fighters and warships.
    About 16,000 activists gathered Saturday in the Australian capital of Canberra, three times more than organizers had expected.
    In Sydney, two activists from an opposition party scaled an awning of a prominent building around the site of the U.S. consulate-general to unfurl a banner that read, “No U.S. Oil War - The Greens.”
    Anti-war protest organizers received a boost Friday when the top U.N. arms officials told the United Nations they held out hope arms inspections in Iraq were working. The comments are seen as a setback to Washington's drive to rally support for an invasion.
    Activists in Britain - the key U.S. ally in the effort to disarm Iraq - prepared for a rally in London's Hyde Park that organizers hoped would draw 500,000 people.
    War protesters play political card

Advertisement

War opponents also planned a protest of up to 100,000 people Saturday near the United Nations in New York. Police were planning extensive security that included snipers and radiation detectors.
    An estimated 6,000 people joined a protest march Friday night in Tokyo, and a similar number marched to the U.S. Embassy in the Philippine capital, Manila. About 500 people demonstrated peacefully in Sarajevo, Bosnia. Around 2,000 anti-war protestors rallied in front of the U.S. and British embassies in Bangkok.
    In South Korea, a major U.S. supporter in Asia, organizers said they will send seven representatives to Iraq to be “human shields” - occupying buildings to deter an American-led attack.
    “I am scared, but the Iraqi people must be more scared than I am. I share their fear,” said Eun Kook, a 23-year-old student planning to go to Iraq. “My mission is to sympathize with the Iraqi people and to tell the world that we oppose war.”

MASSIVE LONDON RALLY EXPECTED
    The three main organizers of London's march - the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, the Stop the War Coalition and the Muslim Association of Britain - predicted it would outstrip the anti-war march last autumn in which 400,000 people took part.

See demonstrations, both for and against military action against Iraq.
    “It's going to be a fantastic day, with blue sky,” said Andrew Burgin of the Stop the War Coalition as he helped erect the stage and two large screens in Hyde Park. Organizers hoped to have a satellite link with fellow protesters in Europe.
    About 70 singers, including performers from the shows “Les Miserables,” “Chicago,” “Rent,” “The Lion King” and “Taboo,” took to the stage Friday at the Criterion Theatre in central London to sing “Seasons Of Love,” from “Rent.”
    Hundreds of thousands of people are expected at protests around the world.
    A march in Glasgow, Scotland, was to converge on a Labor Party conference in time for Prime Minister Tony Blair's speech.
    The anti-war demonstration has not only irked the British government but also Iraqi opposition groups who hope to unseat Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.

• Complete coverage
    • Syria's economic ties
    • Kuwaitis clear desert
    • Kissinger on NATO
    • Germany-U.S. ties hit low
    • Detailed Iraq map
    • War of words
    Other Iraq coverage
    Latest from Newsweek
    • Judging U.S. case for war
    • Winning the peace
    • High-tech tools of war
    Wash. Post special section

Ahmed Agha Chalabi, human rights coordinator of the opposition Iraqi National Congress in London, accused protesters of aiming to prolong “the life of Saddam and extending the misery of the Iraqi people.” He said only war would end Saddam's repression.
    “We all have families in Iraq. If anyone is killed it won't be a cousin or relative of a demonstrator, but ours,” said Chalabi.
    Myers, a 20-year member of the anti-nuclear campaign, said it was the first time the group had marched against a Labor Party government.
    “I never thought that leaders of Germany and France would be speaking for the people of Britain,” Myers said.
    Blair has been President Bush's strongest supporter in his threats to go to war with Iraq if Saddam Hussein does not get rid of his weapons of mass destruction. A British government spokesman said Friday the way to prevent war was for Saddam to cooperate with U.N. inspectors.
    In Iraq, tens of thousands of people demonstrated Saturday to support Saddam and denounce the United States. Many hoisted giant pictures of the Iraqi president, and some carried Kalashnikov assault rifles in the protests, which appeared carefully orc

2. an all we got are commercials asking to join the forces and "see the world"........

peace

3. Well, that was informative...

Personally.. Some serious shits gonna go down, with all this nato splitting up and shit... I mean WWIII is on the way

4. WWIII started when Bush got permission from Congress to fight terrorism. Nostradomas said the war would be started by a man in a blue suit. Notice that Bush does not wear blue anymore.

5. i might not say it all the time, but i notice quite a few things.
    *sometimes its smarter to play dumb, my daddy taught me that one*
    peace

6. All that Nostradomas stuff is bullshit--when you make like 20 million predictions, some are bound to come to pass, especially when people are looking for them.

7. Well said Critter.. Well said!

8. I just hope it isn't all about oil. that would be evil. BTW we have more chemical and biological weapons than Iraq could ever hope to produce. We also store nuclear waste inside mountains which will still be radioactive in 20,000 years. what kind of future are WE leaving? If all I hear about Saddam Hussain is real than he has to go. I don't see why we can't just send in 2000 of our best trained special forces and just take the man out. Him and all those loyal to him and the Baath Party.

9. I don't see what the storage of nuclear waste has to do with anything here. We storeit in salt caves in tectonic safe-zones, with layers and layers of protective shit around it. Sure, nuclear waste is bad shit, but nuclear power's benefits far outweigh the negatives, very little fuel needed, little polution, and massive power output. Nuclear power is the way to go--we can't build hydro-electric damns because they interfere with fish, people protest wind generated power because it supposedly interferes with birds, solar panels can't produce electricity during the night or during storms --or even cloudy days, and coal and other fossil fuel plants do actually have negative impacts on the environment. I'm sorry, I'm off of the subject, but I just felt like ranting about some shit.

10. I'm at a loss for words and I just don't know what to think anymore...

11. Bush and Blair are going to get us all killed if they keep going the way they are going....i mean who's next??....France because they arn't backing them, or some other coutry that weapons of mass destruction....i'd feel safer under Madass than Bush anyday....i mean where did the 30 pages that went missing from the report Iraq sent to the UN, that mentioned a lot of American countries that sold the weapons to them?....oh i forgot it went via New York first where they removed all the incriminating evidence.....oh and as for nuclear waste....i think when we harnassed nuclear power we were messing with something that should be left alone, and as for the reality of it all.....when someone deals with a product like plutonium, i don't think it really registers how unsafe it is, because it's effects are not instantly recogniseable.....however if they were carring a container of nitroglycerin i think they would be a lot more carefull.....it should only be a last resort to use it.....we need more hydro power and wind power......Peace out....Sid

12. Maybe your school is just trying to ban homemade volcanos and rubber eggs from the annual school science fair. :D

13. vinegar and baking soda- U'd need to use A LOT

14. solar, that is the way to go, wind is a good one too, i much prefer hydro over nuclear and coal but i hate to see such magnificent rivers damed and destroyed. but i agree fully, nuclear power has done little good, sure it provides us with large quantities of power, but i guarentee our future generations will pay for it with the rate we are going. that is if we don't pay for it ourselves. it isn't hard to live with solar power, just different. a few luxuries disappear, like the ability to just waste power, which we have become very acustomed to. and you do have power at night and on cloudy days, that is what batteries are for. i lived with solor electric for many years and know many who do.

15. bud stuffer i see what you mean about the dam i forgot a lot of people stay so far inland....where i am they put the hydro units under the water in the oceans off the north of Scotland......Peace out.....Sid

16. what we should use are tethered aircraft that fly above the cloud cover, in the jet stream, with both wind and solar generators. We also need to get the cost of space travel way down so that we can just send our nuclear waste into the sun. I know it sounds ridiculous, but if we did, there would be nothing for people to complain about nuclearpower for. And by the way, nuclear power is one of the safest power sources out there--it's human error that caused Chernobyl and Three-mile Island. Chernobyl's meltdown was also helped by the fact that they used graphite to cool the reactor, rather than the water systems we use. I understand that people are concerned about the long term effects of nuclear power, with good reason. Radioactive stuff is scary shit. I'm gonna totally reverse my direction and say that we should dedicate ourselves to finding better ways of producing nuclear fusion. It's just that fusion has been found to be way to hard to being into being. Anyways, I hope I've convinced at least halfof you that I'm just a mindless idiot with random thoughts.

17. hey, i havn't heard of that. i like that alot, it's hydro-lunar electricity. a very good idea, i wonder how it effects the local sea life.

18. they've been doing it for years here....it works really well and hasn't disturbed the wildlife there too much....the first teething problems they had was anchoring the units down due to the power of the sea....took them some time but the've mastered it now.....Peace out.....Sid

19. i wonder if that is done in the u.s. if not it should be, the rate which we are destroying our country is astounding. i am sure the reason you guys do it is that you are on an island and hat is all you have, once its gone or destroyed thats the way it's gonna stay. we still have a fair amount of wilderness so the picture hasn't been drawn out with neccessity yet.

20. we have a lot of oil rigs in the north sea as well....something like 30-40% of britain's oil comes from the north sea oil reserves, and they have just recently discovered new sites on the west coast of Scotland as well.....we also supply England with approx 40 % of their fresh water supply as it's really wet in Scotland......yet we should harvest as much power from mother nature as possible........Peace out.......Sid