We dont make 15 an hour

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yurigadaisukida, Jan 14, 2014.

Companies outsource labor to keep costs down.

A budget of 70k in China might employ 1,000 full time workers. A budget of 70k in America may only employ 3 full time workers. Furthermore, it costs more to build factories in the USA. Land is more expensive in the USA. etc etc.

what about taxes, utilities, rent? rent alone for a 2 bedroom apartment is 1500-2k a month. after taxes that leaves u 500 a month for EVERYTHING else besides rent. food clothes bills 

3. Unfortunatly, this "me me me" outlook is common among stoners/hipsters/etc.

You want more money from society but you dont want to provide better skills to society.

4. [quote name="Shiva Blaster" post="19339859" timestamp="1389730773"]Not sure where you live, but there's zero chance you could support a family on $15 an hour where I live. Avg. rent for a 2-bedroom apt is $1400/month. After the taxman hit your paycheque, you wouldn't have anything left over for food, utilities, or anything else. [/quote]Thanks for reminding me. You just presented the other argument against minimum wage.Different cities. Different states. Different economies.A federal minimim wage isnt appropriate because of this.See tenth ammendment of the constitution
    Did you read my arguement for lowering minimum wage?Explain how it is dumb.You are assuming that if minimum wage is lowered people will be paid less. But back when minimim wage was 5$ an hour, even most fast food workers made more than minimum wage.And what is your response to my other arguments?Out sourcing labor to china? Decreased hours?Increased cost of living?Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Yes it is.   Paying someone $15 to flip a burger instead of $10 will just trickle on down the line making everything more expensive, so that the $15 only gets you what $10 did before.   

I'm sorry, but do you people really think that flipping burgers is worth more than minimum wage????   I could train my freaking dog to do that job.   Paying people more than what their contribution dictates does not solve any problems.

6. [quote name="turbotoke" post="19339861" timestamp="1389730782"]If the companies were decent and just gave a small raise without bitching about their bottom line and firing people things would be so much better. The minimum wage be raised would just cut into the ludicrous paychecks for those at the top. A beneficial change happens and the ones who can afford to take a small pay decrease instead put the burden on those who are working for low wages and struggling, it's bullshit man.[/quote]Actually thats the opposite of the truth.Did you know that walmart lobies for minimum wage increases?Why? Because walmart is so noble?Or because they know they can tale the hit and the resulting collapse of small buisnesses gives more buisness to walmart compensating their labor price increase.Maybe walmart knows that increasing minimum wage also increases the wealtgap making them even richerSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. [quote name="АugustWest" post="19339877" timestamp="1389730886"]minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be for people who are supporting a family. If you are 30-40 with a wife and 3 kids and still working a min wage job.. then i think you need to look yourself in the mirror and stop blaming corporations. (not you directly when i say you)[/quote]Well saidSent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. #48 Shiva Blaster, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    Fast food workers should not be paid more than minimum wage, see me previous post.    And how is my assumption not correct?   If they lowered the minimum wage by $2/hour tomorrow, there would be 10,000+ people who make minimum wage in my city who immediately would be unable to pay their rent that month as their pay would be cut by 30-40%.

If they cut the minimum wage, they aren't going o look at fast food workers and say "you know what, you guys are totally worth the extra few bucks, flipping those burgers is really tough.....don't worry about the minimum wage cut".   lol.  those people are screwed.  immediately.

Walk into any fast food joint and ask the workers if they think minimum wage should be cut.   See how fast you get run out of there.

9. oh what would america be without fast food

10. I think the problem minimum wage supporters have based on responses in this thread, is that minimum wage = livable wageAs i said in the op, if you make minimum wage equal to a livable wage you eliminate the lower class from the workforce.Kids cant get jobs in highschool anymore. College students cant oay for school. Single people are sol. Because the bare minimum is single parent with 2 kids...Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. [quote name="АugustWest" post="19339877" timestamp="1389730886"]minimum wage jobs are not supposed to be for people who are supporting a family. If you are 30-40 with a wife and 3 kids and still working a min wage job.. then i think you need to look yourself in the mirror and stop blaming corporations. (not you directly when i say you)[/quote]shut up you snobby prickSome people like you really dont understand people dont from kids say "I wanna grow up to get a minimum wage job" circumstances dictate and its not easy to get out that rut of low payed jobs once your in them theres not enough decent jobs out there

12. not fat?

13. As inflation increases the price of things go up. Peoples solution = increase minimum wage which makes prices still go up. 

Whats the solution to that? Increase the minimum wage again. Prices go up, whats the solution? Increase minimum wage again.

Etc.

14. No name calling buddy.....tired and cranky after your long day of flipping burgers?  I'll have some fries with that, lol

15. dude that's the problem..people thinking just cause they make more money are better then people that dont..train you're dog fuckin ridiculous since u fuckin said it i want too see it..

16. When put into perspective its not  bad compared to other countries. Also take into fact that some states minimum is higher than this. I think the shitty economy is to blame for our woes. All thanks to big business and  politicians who choose to fuck us over.

[​IMG]

17. [quote name="Shiva Blaster" post="19340211" timestamp="1389734238"]No name calling buddy.....tired and cranky after your long day of flipping burgers? I'll have some fries with that, lol[/quote]lol for you im not cranky im happyand I dont like seeing idiots like that putting people down.

18. Lets do some MATH!!! So while all theses numbers I'm about to present should be almost 100% accurate, I will understand if some change. For instance, I wasnt able to find the average amount of hours an hourly associate at Wal-Mart works, so we can assume 40. and I wasnt able to find the actual costs of labor for Wal-Mart, but it shouldnt be too hard to get a nice ball park number.

So Wal-Mart has 1.3 million hourly associates in America, who earn on average 10 dollars an hour. So, working 40 hours a week at 10 an hour, you get $400, times by 4 weeks, $1600 a month, times by 12 months, $19,200 a year. Times 1.3 million and you get just under 25 billion a year on labor alone, which probably doesnt take into account benefits, healthcare etc.

And at 15 an hour, that numbers rises to 37.44 billion a year on paying their workers. So now when Wal-Mart has between 15-17 billion profit margin, raising the cost of paying your workers by 12 billion doesnt sound viable.

What can that lead to? Well others have already said, lay offs, increased prices, etc etc. And this is just big bad ol' Wal-Mart, I'm not taking into account all the smaller business's that will be hurt even more.

Are the numbers 100% accurate? Maybe not, since not all their employees work 40 hours a week. But you can get the general idea.

19. Shit I hear you don't even gotta flip burgers these days. They cook on a giant press thing.... just close the lid for 30 seconds and it's done.

20. #60 Shiva Blaster, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    And no, there's not enough career jobs for every breathing soul on the planet.   Just the ones that get their shit together, study, work hard, and make something of themselves.    The ones that are reliable and responsible and can be counted on.  Again, no one is holding a gun to people's heads to work these shitty jobs.....if you are in your 20's and 30's and still making minimum wage, you fucked something up.