we don't ever know anything for 100% sure

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by plumface_2002, May 21, 2006.

1. i think even comets follow known physics.

2. You can NEVER be 100% sure in anything.

you sit into your car and turn the key - the thing won`t start...it usually does but not this time. Shit happens

You have safe sex, she gets pregnant. Shit happens

You cross the street and get hit by a bus. You die, shit continues to happen.

3. I know 100% without a doubt that I need to take a shit right now. Also that if I dont eat for a an extended period of time I will die.

Some things are 100%, and some things are just beyond anyones control. Thats how life is.

4. there is always a question beyond the answer, and indeed most answers only raise more questions.

it COULD all be illusion, no matter the evidence.

"we know nothing"
    -socrates

wisest thing to ever come from a philosopher in my view.

anchor yourself to truth.

5. weed is awesome. i know that 100% for sure.

haha sorry to add sarcasm to a serious conversation

but i totally agree. how do we know 2+2 is 4. we've been told that, but what is 4, its just a word that we have created to give meaning to certain things. but how do we know those things are even there. this whole world could just be an illusion, not real. just a thought in the mind of some super being. what we precieve as years could be only seconds in real time. i could go on like this forever

i believe it was confucious who said

"the only thing which i know for certain, is that i know nothing at all"

or something to that extent.

6. Yea but thats human error, not gravity failing or the scientific knowledge we rely on being false.

7. We can deem things as true according to our perception. Our perception, however, may not neccesarily be the true reality (just think about all the waves in the light spectrum we cannot see... and that's just the light spectrum) but it's our reality so anything that we prove to be true with our senses is true according to the limits of our perception. Where Newtonian physics does not apply, quantum physics applies, as where our perception fails other perceptions kick in to find the ultimate reality... if that makes sense.