We create our own future

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alicedee07, Jan 19, 2009.

1. I am fucking soaring high, and I had just had an interesting insight. Is it true that sometimes we create our own futures? Sometimes our fear that something bad is gonna happen truly manifests itself through our constant worries and fears. By constantly spending more energy worrying and fearing, and less time focusing energy on conquering such fears or worries, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And yes, instinct, which is inherent in all humans and gives us a sense of the future, never fails you. However, this does not mean you cannot make a different choice concerning what your instinct tells you. Sometimes when our instincts warn us of something bad happening, we may worry about what truly is going to happen. However, the power of our mind is amazing. Spending more time worrying about such things truly prevents true desire to overcome them, and at this point, sometimes they start to happen. This is why depressed people are depressed, they are stuck in an endless loop of negative thoughts that truly manifest themselves upon us. But by spending more energy on trying to overcome bad things we may change what truly happens to us; change the way we create our future.

2. Never enough time to change the world.

Just enough time to change your mind.

3. Why spend time worrying about so many things, when you just let it be, alot of wieght is lifted from your shoulders. You can shape the building blocks to your future, but you can not make it.

4. This is refreshing. I expected from reading the title to find another "Law of Attraction" rant, maybe something about how our thoughts create quantum brain waves which emanate out and reconfigure reality. Thanks.

5. When god gave us a knowledge. It's a test to see if we can survive through-out ages. As more further we go, the more complicated it gets. Till the end of the time.

6. Its all a play on time my brother. The present era lives in the future and vice versa, your brain shapes and creates what you want out of the universe. You choose your own destiny and define your own reality

7. Are we in control of our destiny or is it plotted out under the observations of a "Supreme Being"?
    As humans we are subject to a system of action, followed by praise or punishment. If everything we do follows a pattern of praise and punishment should we not learn when the latter comes into effect and begin to understand, or at least recognise that consequence follows action. If one commits a murder (the action) the punishment is a jail sentence (the punishment). If someone helps an old lady across the street (the action) you may receive money for an ice cream (the praise). This fundamentally is the essence of our being; action and consequence.
    However in Homer the sea causes upset to the people and as the people cannot punish or react on the sea, they question and blame the sea god Poseidon. He is the agent attributing to the actions of the sea. We cannot, or more so ought not, attribute blame or praise to animals for their actions. They are programmed to the actions of survival, and have a motorised system of kill, eat and survive. Domesticated animals are taught the values of praise and punishment, as the humans that have taught them have passed on the beliefs that one ought to follow, and so, and quite crudely in the eyes of some, allow animals to transcend to a level of equality with themselves. Many who would hear this would automatically disagree as they presume that as animals they cannot be of standard and morality as themselves. Animals are not on a par with humans, and cannot be as we act almost as a "God" to these animals, holding their existence in our hands. Once again people will not agree with this, least of all myself, with this toying around with the idea of Grim Reaper to these animals if they are taught the fundamentals of action and consequence.
    If this is true, than we ourselves have allowed ourselves become domesticated. Our primary function was also to kill, eat and survive. A higher being may have programmed us into the belief that actions cause praise or punishment. However, just as we can train a dog to attack, could it be that possibly humans have been ‘trained' not only to do good but also bad? If this is true, how many actions that the consequence is punishment could be blamed on a higher being? And again if this is the case should a judicial system be allowed ‘interfere' with the actions that God had intended on that person to do? I have to say yes; yes they should be allowed to ‘interfere'. We do not know that it is God's intention that a man walks around a college brandishing a pistol threatening to shoot anyone who moves or that over 300 people a year die on our roads in crashes. Even on Dou Donggo, a small island in Indonesia, an unofficial judicial system comprised of elders and wisdoms exist to keep the calm and serenity of their island. Without this there would be chaos for those God had not intended the bad action, if this is even the case. But even if God has not programmed actions deemed bad into some and good into others, one would still have to agree that action and consequence would surely cause people to act only where praise is the reward.
    When we look at the Catholic Bible, we see that Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden were the first to discover choice, action and consequence. And to this day the same fundamental ideas are adhered to. But for a Catholics' true praise or punishment to become unveiled we must wait until we reach the afterlife. In some religions, karma and reincarnation before the enlightenment are the action and consequence. Perhaps God knew that Adam and Eve would choose the apple from the tree or perhaps he gave them a choice. If it was predestined that they would choose to take and eat the apple, perhaps the years we have been given on earth is indeed a choice. We may repent and choose only what actions on which praise can be the consequence, or indeed our paths have already been chosen for us, all our actions and choices were set in stone long before we existed. If animals could become domesticated when their primary function is to kill, eat and survive, what's to say we aren't a form of domesticated animal, given to ability to communicate with one another and above all be controlled and ruled by an owner?

Just a thought!

8. #8 bkadoctaj, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
    Give me a moment to reflect on the depth of what you have written (I take it that this was also a philosophy essay?). But first: isn't it amusing that two trees were given power over the essential human beings in the Bible - Adam and Eve? :) I suppose from a powerful plant's point of view (or, blast me!, earth itself), humanity is domesticated.

There would be no need for the word "order" if there was no thought of "chaos". One's limit is the other's definition.

9. actually this one was my own doin when i was also "soaring high" as the thread started yesterday! exactly who's to say that we are so superior to all other life forms that we cannot be controlled. i hate to be cliche but if a man like Hitler could influence the many using beautiful speeches and a bit o propoganda imagine what an all powerful God could do to us. I make it sound like i'm deeply religious but i like to give everything a fair chance and would hold myself to be agnostic at the mo hence the taking up of philosophy to find out both sides of the argument and decide for myself!

10. Interesting that you acknowledge an argument. Could reality exist as argument?

11. Hmmm.. i think that because the human mind as i kinda waffled on relies on the system of punishment and praise i think we are always inclined to think of everything as an argument, perhaps not always a heated one but we weigh up the options in our heads!

Reality is a difficult one for people to argue like there's always going to be the Matrix argument that i think (don't quote me cos its late and i think i got it wrong) but jean-paul sartre invented that pretty much coincides with that idea the matrix used. I think for our existence on this earth we have to argue our existence otherwise we would have no driving ambition to continue on and we would die out..

Morbid thougth for 4.20 in the morning!

12. Ever heard of Legalism? That's an ancient Chinese philosophy. The two handles: punishment and reward. Objectivism as compared to Taoism.

Morbid thought is the farthest you can be from recognizing your insignificance - which is truly significant!

By all means, keep posting. Very interesting thoughts.

I would be happy to share with you a bit of Confucian essence, if that intrigues you. Questions of God are beyond concern - they are senseless to debate, because everything can be said like this: "I may be wrong, but..."

13. I dont know if you made that up, but it is beautiful.

14. I don't know where it came from, actually haha.

15. I'd love to find out more about legalism thank you!! I am also sorry that i fell asleep in the middle of our talk last night!

Anyway back to business!!! :) :smoke: I was doing some looking around on the internet this morning and found a page that has pro's and cons of predestination and free will anyway the guy on it said

"The Bishop of my church say's that free will and predestination can be both be at the same time because God will allow you to do what you want to do but the outcome will be the same, the only diffenence is how long it will take."

I must say that if the fact the church is preaching that we have free will but all outcomes are the same is a bit of a paradox kinda like "a terrible beauty" whats the point in doing anything if we have already had the path for us chosen, if the idea of free will didn't exist then we'd have no motivation!

I must agree with Triip Balls on your quote genius!!