We could be the Change

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GetYouHighTy, Apr 4, 2012.

1. I was laying in bed, pretty stoned last night when I started to think about our government and even our views on society in Western Culture. Has anyone else ever thought that we could be the change throughout this country. When prohibition hit in the 1920's and 30's there were protests and riots, why have we as a community ( recreational pot smokers and supporters ) not taken a stand for what we believe in ? every revolution in the past has endured opression from the government and police, I'm tired of hiding who I am and what I do from MY government, when I pay their salaries, because of a harmless plant that has never killed anyone, but has crowded our jails and criminal sysmtems with our youth, which the government pushes as the slogan "Our Future, Our Next Generation", why are we putting our future in jail over a plant ? that's ridiculous to me. I refuse to sit by and watch our government degrade the reputation of a harmless and non-chemical produced substance while they stand by and benefit from my tax dollars and the sale of tobacco which is much more destructive and causes cancer and death at a much more rapid rate. Please reply with your thoughts. No negativity in replies please. Keep it appropriate and supportive.

2. I have never heard that there were "protests and riots", at least not anything large scale, during the 1920's and 1930's, to protest prohibition. Do you have any sources for historical evidence of protests and riots against the prohibition of alcohol?

3. Sadly I agree.

I think we as a country have much bigger problems to face then this. Mexico on the other hand might want it to be a top priority of the USA.

I do agree that the prohibition of anything let a lone a magical plant is just dumb.

4. Is that wall of words about legalization?? Its not gonna happen, Just grow it anyway and move on with life.

And there werent protest and riots in responce to prohibition, There was speak easys and alcohol smugglers. IE pot dealers and drug runners.

Second we can not make any change in this world of ours except to break the laws we see unjust. Theres too much money behind politicians for the meager man to get what they desire.

5. #Respect to Will3117 for those pictures, and for being educated on this topic at hand. And yes, there were speak easys and smugglers but they were much more respected and looked up to through-out the community and several politicons, police officers, and well-respected figures of society were invovled or the funding of these activities instead of being looked down upon and crucified upon mentioning the subject to a government official. Thanks for your input though.

6. I'll stay it again: The anti-prohibition protests were very limited, and there were no "riots".

Before prohibtion, for a long time, there were actually many protests against alcohol, by religious and women's groups, which helped to get prohibition legislation passed.

Anti-prohibitionists didn't need large demonstrations, because the majority of Americans wanted to legally drink and prohibition was eventually overturned.

With marijuana, the vast majority of Americans do not use it, therefore it's not an issue for the politicians.

7. True I didn't find riots, the reason? who knows maybe there weren't any, remember it was a different mindset most people were for the end of prohibition, including police and politicians, maybe people didn't riot as much back then, its hard to find any accounts of any riots in that era, maybe it wasn't reported by the press? who really knows? what we do know is prohibition did not last long, maybe if it lasted longer there would of been a public outcry...There are no records of temperance riots either

8. Maybe not in your generation, i'm in college and it's amazing the amount of young adult and even adults that do use it. Many of the politicians who are at a average age of 68-71 years old did not ever use the plant and neither did their parents. So, don't be suprised if legalization becomes a hot topic when the next generation of the United States Congress comes into office. I think that in the future, with advancing technology our medicial and physchological feilds of medicine will only find more positives and more benefiticial uses for marijuana and it will begin to be viewed as more of a medicine rather then the idea to many Americans now that it is more of a small problem, recreational drug that is experimental substance.

9. YEA THATS WHAT WE THOUGHT TOO...problem is most people stop smoking as they get older, have a career, kids and then its like they never even smoked in the first place..FYI the average age of a sitting US senator is 50 years 275 days and a US congressman is 55...Im going to say a lot of them probably smoked at least once in there lives...

10. Oh, there were a lot of cases of women's and religious groups going on rampages and smashing up saloons. The Women's Christian Temperance Union was huge:
    Welcome to the WCTU

Demonstrations against the inclusion of beer in the prohibition laws did happen, albeit not very many. There were a few beer marches estimated to number 20,000 people, but considering the scores of millions of drinkers in America, the numbers were not very large.

11. It doesn't matter how many smoke weed. Weed's illegality is a travesty and causes incredible pain and destruction for many people and their families caught up in the asinine war on drugs.

Any sane person should be for weed legalization regardless if they use it or not.

12. I agee, but the politicians are bought and paid for by the pharmaceutical and medical insurance industries. This is also the reason why the United States is in last place for health care in the industrialized world.

Most people do not like weed, it's a fact. Even if 15% of young people use it, that's still not many - and most of them will stop when they get older. I didn't stop completely, but I don't use it nearly as often anymore. The enjoyment of it fades to some degree as you age, unless you need it for medicinal purposes. I think that this happens with every generation. I like when I see older people doing it recreationally, though.

13. I agree. I don't smoke nearly as much as I did when I was younger, but again, it doesn't matter.

And you forgot the alcohol and tobacco special interest groups. Also prison unions, etc. There's a lot who profit from keeping weed illegal.