We Are Living In The Past!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by pyro818, Oct 19, 2007.

1. everything we see, hear, taste, touch, and smell has already happened by the time we think it is barely happening. for instance, when we see something, it could be right in our face, our eyes have to transmit the image via an optical nerve to our brains for it to get decoded into and image. although it happens super fast, by the time it gets to our brain it has already happened. a better example would be if somebody steps on a hot coal with their bare feet, our skin has to send a message to our brain that the coal is hot. but by the time the message arrives to the brain and is interpreted, it has already happened. everything takes slight milli-seconds, or even faster, for our brains to interpret it. but by the time we do interpret it, even if it is in milli-seconds or faster, it has already happened. so in reality, when we see a car driving down the street, its not actually there, its a little ahead from where it really is. just thought of this. what do you guys and girls think?

p.s.
    super duper baked:smoke:

2. Heh reality has a little bit of a lag time! What if you were trippin hard on some LSD or somethin and you're like I'M LAGGIN OUT MAN!!!! hahah :)

3. a better example is with starlight. the light we get from the sun is actually ~8 minutes old, even alot older for further stars.

and just to clarify, when you touch a really hot surface, your brain doesnt get the initial signal. Pulling your hand away from a stove is a reflex handled simply by your spinal cord

4. We cannot "live" in the past. I mean yeah things are a little delayed but its by a fraction of a millisecond if that. Even though there is somewhat of a delay we are physically still in the present.

5. I don't think you're grasping what he's saying Chronic. If there is a fraction of a millisecond difference, then we ARE living in the past. Just because it seems small to us doesn't mean it's not significant. Any number greater than zero is significant

6. Ive "lagged out" before, off of salvia, weed and a panic attack. I was driving and cars would jump back and forth down the street, stop motion like.

7. I read an article that said that they have found a tribe in the amazon rain forest that time moves in the oposite direction, than everyone else believes. For example they believe that tomorrow is actually yesterday, and that yesterday is actually tomorrow.

Try to wrap your head around that.

8. exactly what im trying to say! i think thats why when you trip and it seems like time is going in slow motion, its bevause your brain is taking longer to process the visual image that is coming through our eyes.

9. Ok so our perception is in the past. not us. we are still physically in the present

10. we can't live in the past. then there wouldn't be a present.
    maybe our brain can be a little slow, but that doesn't make it in the past already.

like, i'm typing RIGHT NOW. i'm not typing two seconds ago or something?