We are all not free

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alicedee07, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Because there are some things about us that just don't change. Things that have been with us since infancy. We can't change the basic things that make us who we are. We can change the choices we make, but we can't change what makes us who we are.

Who we are is influenced by the environment in which we were raised, and the genes we get from our parents, both of which we cannot change. These are things we cannot change either if we wanted. So basically, we all do not have free will because this one thing we have no control over. I was so blazed thinking about this.... :smoke:

2. Hehehe, I know what you mean. Or try to say. Ofcourse none of us are really free in the sense that we can do what the fuck we want when we want. But that is part of the social contract.

I have obligations. I have taken some on my self, and some are just necessary. Nobody says I got to do the work I do. But my landlord do insist on rent. And for some reason, I like good food, lot's of beer and grams and grams of hashis and weed. That cost money.

So we are back to work again...

And when you get down to it, everybody doing a good share of effort, is what work is. And why it is rewarded. I'm not saying it is based upon any good scale of fairness, effort -> paycheck. I am saying that if one do not contribute, do not expect to reap the rewards.