wax stories

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by FatSesh92, Mar 19, 2012.

1. its because its super concentrated. its like the crack of weed.

2. hit wax for the first time today... :D and holy shit smoked 2 bowls with wax on top and that shit knocked me on my ass.

3. [quote name='"Berry"']Are chemical exstractions a felony in Colorado mmj too, or just California?[/quote]

Nope, solvent based extracts are allowed here in CO but you have to be licensed to produce them, so I suppose back-yard blowing is still illegal.

As for "what makes wax/bho illegal" it's NOT the potency like some people are claiming here.

The reason it's illegal in Cali is because you need a solvent (butane) to make it, and that part is the illegal one, not the "really strong weed".

As for "wax" or BHO as I prefer to call it (encompasses more textures) yeah, it's pretty awesome! I've taken to making mine a long time ago and think I have my process pretty down.
    I'll go through about an eighth OZ (~3-4g) of oil/week IF I'm pacing myself. It's a double edged sword lemme tell 'ya!!!

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

4. Dude I think you may be pushing a little hard, the q tips aren't supposed to come out covered with blood and remnants of your cerebral cortex haha

5. I love smoking wax. Chills me out so goood

6. wax is greeeeeaaaaattt. I was gonna take a break from wax today but this thread makes me want to heat up my nail after i post. gotta switch up wax and flowers though. If I smoke wax for more than a couple weeks daily i get really bad hash lung that lasts for a couple days and it's difficult to breath. kinda like you just took a huge dab, that tight feeling in my chest for a couple days. A lot of my friends that smoke wax get it too. I think it's a combination of our incredibly dank colorado earwax and the altitude. So i smoke wax for a week now and then take a couple day break for flowers. I love wax!!!!!!!! Mmmmm let me finish up this vape bowl and then I'm loading a dab. mmmmmm. :D

7. [quote name='"PassTheGrass"']wax is greeeeeaaaaattt. I was gonna take a break from wax today but this thread makes me want to heat up my nail after i post. gotta switch up wax and flowers though. If I smoke wax for more than a couple weeks daily i get really bad hash lung that lasts for a couple days and it's difficult to breath. kinda like you just took a huge dab, that tight feeling in my chest for a couple days. A lot of my friends that smoke wax get it too. I think it's a combination of our incredibly dank colorado earwax and the altitude. So i smoke wax for a week now and then take a couple day break for flowers. I love wax!!!!!!!! Mmmmm let me finish up this vape bowl and then I'm loading a dab. mmmmmm. :D[/quote]

You might want to check the out. I know Colorado bud can be pretty dank, but are you getting your oils/waxes from dispensaries? If so, where? Most stores carry under-purged product, many unknowingly...
    The only reason I say to check your oil, is because I used to get this sort of "hash pneumonia" as I called it, when I smoked tainted oil for extended periods of time. Now, I smoke around 3-5gs of oil a week and have NO problems with breathing, and neither do my friends who fab w/me. I'm convinced it's because I started paying attention to my oils/waxes and upping my home-manufacturing process/purging, you'd really be surprised how many quality, honest dispensaries, just have no clue how to make bho and are happy getting "dank oil", just like most self-proclaimed oil-heads.
    Anyways, look out for your health my man, unpurged/under-purged bho can be downright dangerous, especially to some of the more sensitive medical patients out there.

8. Damn shits fukin crezy

9. #49 PassTheGrass, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    interesting that you say that. I used to get it from this one dispensary but recently switched around the time of that smoking change and i haven't had any problems since. Thought it was just cause of dabbin less. It's probably cause it's way better wax. They explained their whole process to me and i was blown away and how much they purge the shit. interesting stuff man. thanks for your reply. :) I'm goona tell my friends about that too.

question tho, I recently went to a different dispensary with my friend (it was his mmj center) and i picked up some wax and flowers. Flowers are great as I know what to look for in flowers, but i believe the wax is a tad under-purged. It's got a budder like consistency and hurts to take huge dabs of. Should I just put in a pryex dish and heat it up to get butane out of it? or is there a better way?

10. did it taste funky?(butaney) or give you a headache after? those are signs its underpurged, however i have gotten a headache after a really gnarly dab high that was just to much for me.

11. Nope nothing is ever in my head. Only lungs. Maybe I'm just too high to realize my head hurts, but for the most part shitty wax just hurts my lungs for a while. Like not the good hurt from a huge dab where you cough your lungs out, just like really tight for a while. That's why I was thinking underpurged. Maybe I just have sensitive lungs. Idk. How can one check if there is butane still in it, or is there not a way?

I'm pretty new to wax, only since march or so. I always look for really smelly kiefy smelling wax that is clean burning, dank yellowish tint/honey look, and really tasty. I never buy oil. Shit smells too strong and gets everywhere. Sometimes ill melt small amounts of earwax to make it dab better if I just cleaned off my dabber. But for the most part I leave it in the hard cookie like consistency.

12. well that grabbing feel i think is just a fat hit of thc, ever take a really fat hit off a vape? i get the same feeling, if it lasts a few days on the other hand thats a bit weird but i have heard of it, thats why i like to dab in moderation.

and for checking if its under purged i don't think there is a way but if there is and find out please pm me.

13. Dabbing feels amazing!!!

14. #54 the_tokerman, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
    [quote name='"PassTheGrass"']
    interesting that you say that. I used to get it from this one dispensary but recently switched around the time of that smoking change and i haven't had any problems since. Thought it was just cause of dabbin less. It's probably cause it's way better wax. They explained their whole process to me and i was blown away and how much they purge the shit. interesting stuff man. thanks for your reply. :) I'm goona tell my friends about that too.

question tho, I recently went to a different dispensary with my friend (it was his mmj center) and i picked up some wax and flowers. Flowers are great as I know what to look for in flowers, but i believe the wax is a tad under-purged. It's got a budder like consistency and hurts to take huge dabs of. Should I just put in a pryex dish and heat it up to get butane out of it? or is there a better way?[/quote]

I find that the timing of the pain/cough is a good indicator of purity. Taking a dab of under-purged bho will hurt almost instantly and make you cough/want to cough as soon as you're done sucking it down. Good bho on the other hand just gives me a little cough to "tickle" in my throat well after I've exhaled the hit, up to a minute afterwards rather than almost instantly.

Another thing to look for is the transparency of the bho rather than the color necessarily. I find that usually (I don't think there are any known absolutes in the bho world yet), under-purged 'tane looks cloudy or "solid" in color, while good bho will be almost completely translucent.

When dabbing, good oil should sound like a single drop of water on a hot skillet, not like a frying pan full of French fries, sizzling like crazy.
    As for taste: look for any butane-ey or "gassy" taste to it, pretty much any taste you wouldn't normally find in bud.

As for buying bho from stores: if you want to repurge them, I'd toss them on super low heat for a while and then vacuum pull it. Although I stopped buying store oils LONG ago, with the exception of my CBD rich CO2 oil that I need.

As for your store purging their products really well, I'd mostly worry about two things: one being overpurging/overheating and the other being that they are straight up lying (which I'm not accusing anyone of doing at all; just that having worked in the industry, I can count on one hand the dispensaries that are actually legit, honest, and patient-oriented). It sounds to me though like you know more than enough to not get fooled easily, so I wouldn't worry too much, other than keeping an eye out for bomb oil! Lol

15. get a little dab on your dabber, and move your lighter across it a little. if it sparks up, then that's the butane. stuff you get from the club will often have butane, you just have to either A) purge it yourself or B) find a trustworthy club that has proven to have butane free wax. or just make your own wax all together.

16. What's the best way to purge wax? Easiest and safest?

17. [quote name='"PassTheGrass"']What's the best way to purge wax? Easiest and safest?[/quote]

You'll get MANY different ways depending on who you ask.

Personally, I like low-slow heat (~120*F) over a double boiler for a while (~30-45mins) until no more bubbles show. I raze any stubborn bubbles w/a razor and a torch through this initial process.
    Then I scrape my pan onto warm parchment paper and keep it in a 140-150*F oven for about 10-15 mins, spread it as thin as I can and the toss it into a vacuum chamber and hold it there (in mild heat at around 25inHg) until I see little/no bubble movement, then I quickly re-pressurize it and re-vacuum a couple (3-5 times) until there is NO more bubble expansion or collapse. Then I re-melt it and re-vacuum it letting it cool down in a slowly releasing vacuum over about 30 minutes.
    Of course all these times are dependent on how much product you're purging. This'll be good for around a 2g run, with a 5g run it'll take a bit more, and a 10g run even more.
    Again, just one way to do it, but I'm sure everyone will have their own sworn method.

18. That doesn't seem easy at all man. I see you live in co. Could you just do it for me? Yo Imma pm you actually.

19. [quote name='"PassTheGrass"']That doesn't seem easy at all man. I see you live in co. Could you just do it for me? Yo Imma pm you actually.[/quote]

PM me by all means man.

20. I just did that lighter thing. Both waxes just melted a super tiny bit, no sparks. That means they are good! :D