Watts vs Yield

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by MicroDose, Jan 22, 2020.

1. From what I understand, If i have 10 plants or 4 plants in a 5x5 they will yield the same if it is under a 1000w output light? Is this correct? This is also my first post and first grow in a long time. I have been following GC for some time now. It has really helped with my organic soil grow. Thank you all for being such great Gardeners!

• Like Like x 1
  2. More or less yes. Size of grow space, and the power of the light determines yield, not number of plants.

Sometimes it can be better to grow multiple small plants, or one large plant. The toss up is one large plant may take longer to grow and train to maximize the space, and if anything goes wrong and you lose it, the grow is over.

Too many small plants (Which is the mistake I made) Didn't let each plant get to a big enough size to develop large thick colas. I squeezed 6 plants into a 3x2 space, with some training, and if I did it again I would do 3 plants, let them get twice as big each. So essentially my yield would be similar, but I'm hoping I will have some large buds because I'll be growing larger plants.

Too many plants under not enough light can be a problem, so it's best to start out with 2-3 plants, and go from there. It's easy to add plants, it's heart breaking to run out of room and need to remove a plant.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Approximately correct.
    Getting a full canopy to absorb all the light is what's important.
    If the canopy is full, yield won't depend much on number of plants.

But more plants fill the canopy faster.
    My experience with autos is that plants do best when they have at least 4 sq ft of canopy area.
    Using this as a criterion would imply 6 plants.
    I grow 6 auto different auto strains in a total space of 17 sq ft, and some of them don't get enough canopy area to reach their full potential.
    But variety is very nice, and I can live with the occasional low yielding plant.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Yeah kinda. GPW is a good way to measure. Most growers get like .8 or less GPW, some real good ones claim over 2 GPW. My best was something like 1.5 or a little better.
    I grow 4 plants in a 5x5 and they fill it wall to wall and pull over 2 lbs on 60 to 70 days with well rooted clones.
    Oh using four of the Chines HGL 288 kits.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Thanks guys! How to you train for a 5x5? Currently have 4-7g smart pots and I used the manifold technique and created 8 perfect colas on each. Just getting into my third week of flower looking to have at least one 8in + bud on each cola.

• Like Like x 1
  6. No different than any other space. Train the plants to the size you need. Sounds like you've got it handled.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Let's see em

8. Just joined this group so give me a min to figure out how to post a pic. best if I get the app on my phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. No problem, I'm just a fan of the 8 top manifolds
    I've got 2 Ghost Train Haze #1 plants that are 8 tops just started flowering.

10. First grow, What do you think?

11. Yeah, I really enjoyed the training will probably stick with it over a scrog.

12. Let me ask you this. As you can see I left some new growth that is starting to branch out during the stretch. Being my first grow trying to figure shit out. Would you have removed the lower branches off the bottom of the colas?

13. Looks awesome man, nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thank You!

15. #17 JoshuaE, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    I do personally. If it's not getting good light I get rid of it and some plants just have too many so they go to. I'm just starting flowering mine well get into all that in the next couple weeks. Come check it out. Welcome to GC
    Small Spaces

16. Only if you want to win internet points or your cutting clones

17. lol..My thought is that getting rid of the suckers would increase the density of the main cola? Will just have to see as I left some and got rid of some. Only time will tell.

18. I trim the lower limbs, bend and break the tops to get a level canopy along with tying em' down when they are still in Veg.
    I get monster plants doing this.
    This is one of 4 plants out of my 5x5, Barney Farms LSD.

20200119_114010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1