Wattage of the bulbs, please help!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by MetalCrystal, Aug 14, 2010.

1. I am just about to start growing my first set of weed plants. The strain is gonna be "crystal" but i am certain on every step apart from the lighting. I am very unsure of what wattage to buy for these plants because i just dont unserstand what i would need for these to grow.

Any help to stop my confusion will be much appreaciated, thanks and happy smoking.:smoke:

P.S. i will be growing 3 plants is that makes any difference to the wattage of the bulb or how many i will need what so ever.

2. What kind of bulbs do you want to buy/use?

HPS? MH? CFL? LED? :D

Let me know!

3. How big is your growing area?

4. the sort of bulbs i wanna use are ones i can purchase like near enough anywhere locally. im really uncertain what all the different kinds of lighting bulbs are for.

if i said i wanted to grow the strain to about 2 and a half foot and then flower and the plant is a natural outdoor plant, what sort of bulbs would i be looking to buy in order to actually keep the plants alive and staying healthy whilst not spending alot of money? :)

5. and my growing area is about 45 cm by 30 so a fairly tight growing space.

6. Then you want CFLs.

3 plants will need like 200-300watts to grow. 6500k (daylight) spectrum for veg, 2700k (warm) for flower.

7. #7 BAGZ, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
    With that size I would only do 1 plant and do a small scrog or lst. What's the most you want to spend on lights? CFLs are cheap but you'll have to keep the plant short since they don't penetrate well. It wouldn't be a good idea to veg until it's 2.5ft tall then flower with CFLs. HID lights (HPS & MH) penetrate ALOT better and are more powerful but they also cost more and create more heat. If you can control the temperature and have the money I would go with a 150 watt HPS/MH.
    http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=53025

8. im from the UK so do you know of any UK retail stores i could order from or does that website offer international shipping?

9. No they only ship in the USA. That's the only place I buy from so I'm not sure of any UK shops, I'm sure someone around here will help you out with that though.