Watering

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jackk5577, Jan 14, 2017.

1. So i just germinated a seed, (it has a small tail I'll leave it in the cup over night still.) I want to plant it, but I'm not sure how much i should water it or put it under my grow light. Any help? Ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. You can plant it right away if you want, the only point of germinating is to be sure that the seed will sprout before planting.

They don't need light until it breaks the surface of your growing medium, don't give it too much light when it is very young, but it needs enough to prevent it from growing too tall for the stem to support it's weight.

Soil should stay moist until it sprouts, after it does only water when top 1/2" of soil is dry. Generally should water every 2-3 days but it can vary depending on your soil.

3. So should the medium stay wet or moist or should i let it dry when its in the seedling stage? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 Pistils, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    When it pops up above the surface only water when top of soil is dry about 1/2" down. Until then just make sure it doesn't dry out too much, which won't happen very quickly if it isn't right under a hot light. But again, your soil, size of pot etc, all determine how quickly it drys out.

Water it so that the soil is wet all the way to the bottom, then put your seed in about 1/2"-2/3". Root down, or to the side are both OK, some even plant a little deeper with the root kind of upward.. the plant will adjust itself.

(The reason I water the soil before planting is to prevent the seed from rising the the surface from the water and drying out before it roots itself in the soil), unlikely but it has happened to me with a seed once.

If you water it more than once every 2 days you are likely over watering. Often times my seeds will break the surface before I even need to water them again, so I'd stick to the 1/2" rule.

Btw these plants like to dry out between waterings, that seems to be when they have the fastest growth.