Watering....Too much/Too little?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by blazin420, Feb 21, 2004.

1. I now have 6 little babies in Jiffy-7 peat pellets. They are under a 400W Metal Halide lamp. I watered them about 12 hours ago. They were nice and moist. But I just checked on them now and they are dry as a bone. I stuck my finger in about 1/2 inch and it felt "somewhat" moist.

I'm not sure whether or not I should water them again. I don't want them to dry out, especially under a MH lamp. It will burn them up quickly if I let them get too dry. But I also don't want to over water them and have root rot.

To further clarify, from the surface to about 1/4 inch deep is bone dry. It is almost like dust its so dry.

Should I water them or not? ATM, I'm only using distilled water with no fert. They are still too young. Also, when I water them, should I soak them until water starts pouring out the bottom, or just enough to make it all moist? So far, I've only been putting just enough water to make the whole medium moist.

Thanks

2. better without the jiffy pelets......just in the soil, cover the roots, don't alow light to reach them, and what to do is spray the soil with a bottle, but watch the mist doesn't hit the light..........400MH is a big light for a young plant, keep the light a good distance away for the first week and then bring it closer.........Peace out.........Sid

3. Ok, so I should water them now?

I have the lamp about 4 feet from the plants now. And I have not hung up the Mylar yet. So they are pretty much just in a big open space. I was going to use Fluro, but I didn't want to hard wire the ballast. I can't buy one with a plug because its against UL code.

4. yeah at that stage, i kep the topsoil mist by sprying, that was i ensure the roots won't get dry........as i also use a 400HPS from a young age, instead of fluro.........and keep the light where it is till they're approx 3-4" tall........Peace out............Sid

5. Cool. Thanks! I'll post some pics in a couple of days.