Watering Revisited

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bravedave, Jul 16, 2017.

1. You are probably right on that price. It's been a while. Even so, it's reusable and isn't going to wear out. But if u r buying a lot of them, it would add up .However if I was going to do a big farm of sips, I would go with a different much simpler design.

2. How did the pots work out?
    Pic?

3. They are working out so far. Using "Dynamic Design Newbury 12 in. x 12 in. Black Self watering poly planter" from home Depot as the wicking basket. I just ripped off the tray on the bottom. They are filled with perlite. Then, smart pots sit on top. Hydroton on top of the soil to minimize evaporation. The reservoirs are 12 gal sterilite containers. Plants are young, and just moved up from 1 gal to the 7 gal smarties, so they aren't drinking a ton yet. Moisture meter keeps showing things are pretty perfect though.

It's not as pretty or as color coordinated as @storz setup, and I cut the hole in the reservoir cover a bit too big, but it works. :)

4. #104 storz, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    the simple principle is the same----capillary action!
    I am a bit surprised that the capillary action will work through approx 10-12 inched of perlite. I figured capillary action was only good for approx. 6-7 inches. Interesting to see how the water supply goes as the plants get thirsty during stretch. Let me know. Yes pix would be great. I like the simplicity your design but it might be a little tall for those that are in a more confined space for height. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Well, capillary action would have to be strong enough to take water not only past 6 inches of perlite, but all the way up and around the soil, right? I hope the additional perlite won't be a problem, but so far, things seem to have even moisture, and I haven't top watered since potting up. Time will tell. I think the hydroton on top will slow down the rate of water moving through, since evaporation will decrease. This will give more time for water to be pulled up.

And, if it doesn't work as efficiently as I'm hoping, I'll cut down those planters, or go to the HVAC reducers, or something similar. Stay tuned.

Oh, and yes, it's a little tall. Not ideal for a micro-grow.

6. Pics[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. OUTSTANDING! I think the worry I had about enough water during stretch is unfounded. I am 99% sure u will be fine as is. The clay balls are nice. I use gnat nix for the same reason and to help with insects in general. Might want to consider this too. LOVE the mainlining. I just started that this go . Your set up is nice, tight organized. I like Your style.

8. Thanks, man!

9. #109 glueberry_crunch, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    So, funny thing is happening: The "older" soil in the middle (from the 1 gallon pots before potting up) seems to be dryer, while the new soil everywhere else has perfect moisture and is wicking nicely. I'm measuring with a moisture meter. I'm hoping things get more evenly distributed.

One of the girls actually looked like it was getting a little oxygen starved or over-watered (firm petioles, but slightly curled under leaves), which didn't seem to make much sense. In any case, noting that the middle was a little drier (more so on this plant than the other), I stirred up the water in the reservoir to get it nice and oxygenated and top watered right in the middle, only a little bit. Maybe only a few cups of water or so. The plant looks better already. I know this seems all contradictory, though.

I'll have to keep monitoring this, and again, hoping the moisture gets more evenly distributed. Once the roots grow outward more, hopefully this is less of an issue.

10. Hey @storz, you ever take a moisture meter to your SIP set up? I haven't top watered, except for the small amount on one plant noted earlier, for about a week and a half. Today, I observed that the meter was reading right in the middle, between "dry" and "moist", which is drier than several days ago. I'm trying to assess how well things are wicking.

Either things are reaching equilibrium, or it will continue to dry and I won't have enough wicking to sustain the grow.

The plants are thriving, for now, though.

I'm curious about your experience with this set up and just how moist your soil tends to be throughout the grow.

11. moister meters are erroneous. Esp the cheapo ones for $5-9. No, your set up is solid. Let the plants find the levels they like. If they are thriving---LEAVE THEM ALONE. If there was a wicking problem it would have shown up by now. Don't top water at all now.

12. In order for the capillary action to work there has to be small pathways opened up for the water to travel up. After that it is sort of a siphon on a microscopic level. I could see that if you were first starting a system it may be optimal to wet down from the top for the first time or so to get those pathways for the water to find it's way up established.

13. I haven't been paying close enough attention. You have some sort of flange on the bottom of the smart pot you took from a commercial SIP setup? Is it a problem just resting the pot in the cut out hole? What is the function of the part you have between the pot and SIP container?

14. that is to hold the perlite so he doesn't have to fill the whole tote with perlite.

15. Correct. And yes, did an initial top watering when potting up.

16. How well did you "water in" at transplant?

The soil border between the old root ball and the new soil needs to be thoroughly soaked from top to bottom in order to establish a contiguous "horizon", if you will. Any dry spots along that horizon will affect the movement of water through capillary action from the new soil to the old.

Just a thought... :)

17. Thanks. Watered to runoff.

18. Ah, okay so the whole container is just water and no pipe with landscaping fabric? Then a layer of perlite under the pot, then soil, then hydroton on top?

19. It's basically a wicking basket filled with perlite, and it sits inside the reservoir, and the smart pot sits on top of it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Well, just thought I'd share a few pics of the leaves for the folks checking out this thread. The sour D looks wimpy, with skinny, floppy leaves. That's the one that I mentioned looked overwatered previously. Honestly, I think it just wants to be a little jerk and not cooperate. The triple cheese is loving life though, and is vigorous. Growth rate seems to be the same on both: Same node counts, similar height, etc. Who knows. I hope the diesel hits her stride soon. [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1