Watering questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by wildthingmax, Sep 15, 2017.

1. So my plants seem to be doing great. No discoloration, the leaves look great, no signs of anything wrong but its been like 8 days since I watered them last.
    20170914_185953.jpg
    When I did I gave them nutes. General Hydroponics 1.5ml micro, 1.5ml grow, .25ml bloom per gallon and I watered them till they had run off. It didnt take more than maybe 1 minute or so while watering for them to have run off so I feel like my soil is draining good. The two knuckle finger test comes back damp on all three pots.

The mix is Half ocean forest soil, 1/4 perlite, 1/4 coco coir. The two small containers are 2.5 gallon and the big one is a four gallon. My humidity has ranged from 31% to 64% and temperature from 68 to 81 F and I have multiple fans blowing on the plants.

Im growing three autoflower blueberry from Growers choice seeds and they sprouted out of this soil 22 days ago.

My concern is that the nutrients in the soil have been in their too long and may cause issues down the road. I am going to ph test the run off when I water next.

Should I water next with just plain ph balanced water or give them another round of nutrients? I want them to be ready for their next growth spurt but I dont want to give them more nutes than they need. Thanks for reading this and any help given. Journal link below.

Wildthings 3x BB Auto Journal

2. It's not a problem that it has been 8 days since you watered them. Yes it is probably time to water them, and as they are growing bigger they will probably never go 8 days without watering again.

They look well fed, if you feel there is a risk of overfeeding them, it would be sensible to give them just water in order to rehydrate the soil, saving the next feed for 4-5 days time.

I would caution against pH balancing your water unless it is wildly out of range. pH balancing a few gallons of water requires a lot of mixing before you retest, it is too easy to over acidify the water and the sample you test near the surface reads 6.7 but the bulk of the solution is actually 5.7. Soil pH tends to naturally drop anyway so lowering the pH is rarely necessary, unless you have a specific reason.

pH testing your runoff is sensible, but I also caution against acting on it. Trying to "fix" pH values when there are no symptoms can kill a healthy plant. If the pH of the runoff is much lower than the pH of the water you put in and you are worried, add more water until the runoff pH is closer to the water's (this is a flush). Never try to 'neutralise' the soil by adding opposite pH.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I really appreciate the information. This being my first grow im reading so much and trying to learn from other people it can be a little overwhelming. The ph of the water makes sense, my tap is about 7 so I didnt balance it out this time before I added nutrients. Thank you again.