Watering Newly Planted Sprouts

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jonb, Aug 22, 2008.

1. I had 10 seeds which just sprouted. I filled 10 jiffy pots with soil and watered them until they started dripping at the bottom. I waited about 15 minutes then I planted each seed. I am kind of worried that I used too much water initially (1L for 10 pots) except alot of it dripped out of the bottom. Is this okay?

Also, how often do I water the pots? I have read wait until the soil seems dry to water again or every 2 days. I really don't want to drown them but I also don't want to deprive them of water.

How much do I water once they get they start showing, in vegetation, and in flowering?

2. That sounds like a good start. Just keep the top of the soil moist with a spray bottle. Use plain, pH adjusted water for the first week or two, until they develop a root system. A drop or two of SuperThrive in the spray bottle won't hurt anything.

You need to catch up on your research if you expect to go full term. Sounds like you might not be fully prepared to grow 10 plants.

Peace

3. If you're using soil you should only have to water every 2 to 3 days. Next time they start getting dry take notice of their weight. That's one common method of determining when to water--the "lift test." If you're overwatering your plants will tell you once they get a true set of leaves on them. If they tend to droopiness it's a good sign they're overwatered. Don't forget the pics when they take off. Peace

4. #4 noober, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
    The seedlings are still under the soil. You only want to keep the top of the soil moist with a spray bottle until they pop up. Don't let it dry out, but don't make it soggy either. Once they pop up you can give them more water, if they need it.

5. Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it. Will definately post pics when I have something to show.

6. Another way to test for whether they need water is the "wilt" test: you wait until the plant starts to wilt a bit, the leaves get droppy, it generally looks "thirsty." Then you give it water. That's how I'm doing it. Seems to work fine. All three of mine have grown strong and are nearly five feet tall now indoors, and are budding. But whatever works for you.

7. That's the best way to do it. You'll learn real fast how to tell when your plants need water. You sure won't over water them with this method.