watering issues..and proto leaves..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by chewsifer, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Hi all. My box has around 38% RH and stays around 78 to 80 degrees. My seedling pots stay about 3 to 4 inches from my 26watt 6500k cfls. The soil seems the dry out rather quickly and need some input to how often i can water without over watering and killing the little things. Also I have a new seedling that has 3 proto leaves. Should I consider that one to be a male and off with its head or is it unique and should be dealt with love and tenderness?

Attached Files:

2. #2 M369, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    There is no way of telling if it's a male when it's that young. Not sure why it's growing in that way.
    Give it the benefit of the doubt, see how it goes.

Oh and if the soil is damp when you stick your finger in(a little over nail depth) don't water it.
    The surface soil may feel dry but i guarantee it is still damp below.

3. there might be too much air flow in the box would that be a factor? it seems to dry out even an inch below the surface within a day or two. the soil is just top soil but when its time to transplant i with use top soil, moss and perlite.

4. The top soil seems so dry in just one or two days. I stick my finger about an inch and its still dry. I water but i worry i water too much. Is the rule of if its dry to an inch its time to water??

5. if the soil is really getting that dry throughout the soil then you wont be over watering & should be ok as you are as long as your sure its dry below as mat369 said it may feel dry on top but below could well be fine & moist

6. Be careful of watering too much and causing damping off disease. I had that problem and killed several seedlings. I think seedlings that size just need moist soil but should not sit in any wet soil for very long. I made the mistake of watering enough for 3 days and taking off for the weekend.

I found they were happiest with very light misting of the soil every day.

7. Well it seems to be going well. Here is a shot of just four days from the time it broke ground. Im happy. Im thinking of keeping it in the 6" clay pot for about two weeks then im moving it to a 3 gallon pot. I hope it turns out to be a female so i can get one going from start to finish.

Attached Files:

8. looks to be growing healthy to me. what soil is that in?

and just because it has 3 seed leaves isnt a reason to off it.... just check out my 2nd grow, link in my sig, and its a triploid that is female.

9. #9 chewsifer, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
    I bought some regular top soil from lowes and nothing more. The first grow i started i used M/G organic and it boosted the growth but killed it in the process. I live in a small town and finding any kind of soil mixtures without nutes in them is difficult. But this is my last hope with a bagseed. I would like to get through a grow first before i move to purchasing seeds of higher quality plants.

10. good plan man. if you can find it im using scotts premium potting soil. it has very very little nutes in it compared to MG and my baby is loooving it. its nutes are .07-.01-.03

sells fairly cheap. around 3-4 bux for an 8QT bag. i can get you a pic if you wish

11. yeah man post a pic. I checked your grow out and looks nice.

12. Well its been a week and all seems to be well with my one and only seedling. Hope its a girl!!

Attached Files:

13. #13 whatuthinkin, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
    hey man sorry i didnt get you a pic ill look online and try to find one. just moved so been very hectic.

and here it is [​IMG]

i did a google search to find this pic and guess what i found it on a grow journal here on GC!! LOL http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/335570-autoflowering-great-white-shark-grow.html

hope it works out for you man. i know i cant wait to start building my new box!!!

-EDIT- HOLY SHIT that is one big picture. it wasnt that big when i looked at it hahaha. oh well but that is what i am using and i am having great results from it

14. no worries what u thinkin. I actually believe i have some of that laying around. I have a mix of top soil and a potting soil that has nutes in it and plan on moving the plant into the bigger pot in a few weeks. Then im switching to 12/12 to sex it. If female i built a diy bubbling clone bucket and i will clone her. Also i built a diy bubbler hydro bucket all thanks to rumpel's sticky on the subjects. I will start the clones in my two hydro buckets and finish the grow off of that. I will keep the mom around for a little while but need to build a small mom chamber inside my already cramped box. Ill post some pics of it all in a little while.

15. #15 chewsifer, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2009
    Well here's the pics of what i got going. I have this one seedling growing with a 150w hps with 4 daylight cfls to help. This is the start of the second week in just top soil, at the end of this week ill move it to the mom pot that im using for a stand. Its mixed with top soil and scotts potting soil. but once I can sex it i will. If female then i will clone it with my clone bucket. Then take the best two from that and put into my bubblers. I need some opions on using the floramicro, floragro, and florabloom by sunlight supply inc. Does it work well? Has anyone used it? I have a Light, moisture, and ph meter made by Mosser Lee. Im not sure if it will work for my applications so if any info on it would be great. Ive looked online but there website couldnt explain it very well. Thanks for all the info fellow horticulturists.

Attached Files:

16. I moved my plant into the larger pot. I think I have over watered. The leaves are hanging low looking droopy.