Watering: I know how often, but I don't know how much

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mpdegn, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Now I've been told that you should water every 3-4 days when growing in soil. However, what is the right amount of water? My plant is 4-5 inches tall. I'm just using plain water. How much do you recommend? Thanks!

2. I don't know that there is any magic in that 30% number, just water evenly until you get runoff, meaning more than a tiny trickle. Don't dump water in too quickly, if your soil is dried out it could have left channels, especially along the sides of the pot, where water can run down quickly and run out the bottom, but that isn't the kind of runoff we're talking about. You want to saturate the soil such that excess is percolating out the bottom of the soil. When I water I give them a drink, then go do something for 5 minutes, then come back and give another drink, breaking up the watering into several times over 15-30 minutes to make sure I am soaking through the soil.

3. Or another method that will help make sure they are fully watered is to put them in a tray of water and let them soak it up from the bottom. You may have to experiment with time depending on how dry they are, but try them at 10-15 minutes to start. They will only soak up as much water as they need.