Watering - How Much and When?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by radman60, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I'm a first time grower and I'm continuously learning..

Thought I would start a thread for what I think should be the most important item on your "How To Grow Indoors Like a Pro" list and that is "WATERING" !!!... How much do I water and when.

I've been learning for about 4 months now and this has to be the best posting that I have seen on what to do, when to do it and what not to do...

Watering, MX Style

Post your watering ideas here or post a link to a worthwhile read...

2. Watering is pretty simple. Water until run off comes out of the drain holes, then don't water again until the soil is dry.

3. you need to learn by how much the pot weights or get a soil moisture tester for a few $

even most experienced gardeners over water

4. over time you will learn the weight of your plants

give them a full water, maybe even get some run off, and pick it up and put it down a few times.

over the course of the next few days youll feel it getting lighter and lighter. trust me, youll know when it needs more water. let the plant tell you what it wants, its really not too tricky.

in my experience plants like to dry out a little bit. it makes the roots reach further to look for moisture. motivate those little fuckers.

5. hahaha spoken like a champ

but yea if you pay enough attention to your plants it almost becomes second nature knowing when to water

6. I had it all bass ackwards... I thought they thrived in moist soil but after reading MX's posting, I realized all my mistakes all at once.. :)

I've been over-spoiling my babes and the time has come to put my foot down on them... :p

7. Simply said and oh so true! Of course I will us more words to say the same thing :)

Other factors will come into play that can't be controlled by a timeline but follow these two simple rules and you can't go wrong!

#1 water slowly until your drain holes weep
    #2 don't water again until your finger is dry up to the 2nd joint

Period.

When in doubt. Wait!

8. It really depends on what medium you are growing in. In Promix I watered when the medium was dry an inch or so below the surface. In coco I water daily with 10-20% runoff.

9. I use Agro Mix from Fafard..

Has a perlite/vermiculite mixture in it..
    Comes in 3.8 cu/ft bales..
    Will get a pic of the bale next time I go to the farm.. :)

10. I try to keep al my shit down to the minimum, so the roots can get plenty of air. Alot depends on the temperature how hof fast they drink up. It is a living thing and will drink up daily when fully thriving. But keep your soils airy!!!! if airy enough you should be able to put your finger all the wy in easily. Once you stick your finger in the HOLE! when the tip is dry water ;)

Thats how i do anyway

11. The force is strong with this one.

-MM-

12. or 2-4 times a day ebb&flow is what I'm doing atm.