Watering and other things i should be worried about

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by PurpleKrush, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Im starting a first time grow. Havn't planted yet my seeds are germinating as we speak. I am fortunate enough to have a large woods right in my backyard and thats where im going to choose my spot. i'm actually going to choose a few different spots to plant different seeds. My main questions are related to watering.
    1. After germinating i will be planting in solo cups before i plant outside. How often to i need to water those cups assuming i put saran wrap over top to conceal moisture.

2. When i plant outside, can i use simple creek water to water my plants (this seems like it would be bad for the plants but idk) or should i use something such as tap water from my house.

3. I know im gonna have to set up chicken wire around my plant because the woods are heavily infested with deer. Also know that im gonna have to find a spot that isnt shaded by the trees at all times of the day. What other concerns should i have about growing in my woods?

2. 1. Use ziplock bags?
    2. use filtered water, not tap. Tap water can have a lot of dissolved crap thats bad for plants like chlorine, lead, etc. It helps to make sure the water you feed your plants is around 6.0 pH.
    3. Pests/mold.

3. Putting saran wrap over the top might not be a good idea. It could promote root rot. If you don't want to have to water often you need bigger containers. Little containers need watered a lot in the summer and on hot days, more than once.

4. So how do you know when to water them in the first week or 2?

5. You put your finger into the soil and if the first couple inches feel dry it's time to water. When you know they are in need of watering, pick them up and see how heavy they are. Then you can check by weight the next time. If the cups are heavy, they are wet still, if they're light, they need watered.