Watering 5 gallon buckets

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gregmagnu, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Im starting my auto mazar seeds in 5 gallon buckets tomorrow, they are germinating right now and i was wondering if you guys have any tips on watering>

2. I would moisten the soil befor you plant in it, moisten it all, dont wet it all! plant your sprout in the moist 5 gallon of soil. and dont water for a while

3. I use 5 gs, I just make sure there are drainage holes, then water like posted above untill they get going, then water when the surface is dry.

4. Would you say just evenly spread a whole water bottle on the medium before i put the seeds in there? Or is a whole water bottle too much? the pot is 12 inches width and about 9 inches tall with soil. and its just going to be 1 seedling per pot.

5. I would germ your seeds in something a little better than a 5 If I was you...I use rockwool, then a solo cup, then the 5 when it gets big enough...There are alot of great resources on GC for seed germination, I know, I used one last week to start some afghan kush seeds! For ME, the 5 is the last bucket I go to.

6. Ya but with auto flower iv been hearing that it works really good but i plan to use smaller containers when i start a non auto flower plant

7. sorry, didnt see the auto part.....Ive never run an auto...

8. Cannabis plants d not like to have their roots constantly wet. Water when the first 1.5-2 inches of the soil is dry.

9. I always germ straight up in a five gallon buckets with no issues.
    Water the soil before you plant. Just water it and make sure there's drainage once its dripping from the bottom slightly you know it completely watered. Don't listen just moisten it cuz how the hell do you moisten five gals without dumping water in it. Once they sprout under my two sixs it takes up to five days to dry out

10. Don't go by the two inches trick just because its dry on top doesn't mean it's dry at the bottom. Go by weight of the bucket. Lift it when it's dry lift it when it's wet and you'll know when it needs water

11. I think I'm going to moisten with half a bottle of water per 5 gallon container. Is that fine for should i go with more.

12. If the water stays on the surface because the soil is dry (as do many peat-based soils), use a spray bottle to moisten the surface. Once the surface tension is broken, water normally.

Agree with the "weight" as a measure. Also, the soil should make a loose ball in your fist. It should not turn to mud or drip and it should not immediately fall apart....but right in between those extremes.

13. do this.

still dont water your "MOIST" soil for atleast 1-2 weeks unless you think the plant really needs it. that 5 gallon with moist soil will grow the plant ALOT you will be suprised

Mj likes to be dry'r rather then wet'r

14. Okay, i put about 2/3 of a water bottle to each 5 gallon smart pot to moisten the soil is that fine? and thanks for the tips.

15. not sure man, you are the one doing it, is it moist?? or is it wet? you dont want wet on seedlings you want it moist, air and water not just lots of water

wat you can do for a test is mix your soil well and take a handful and squueze it, how much water comes out this will tell you how moist it is...if alot of water comes out you probably too wet

16. are you pre germing the seed or placing into soil? if placing in the soil I would spray the seed area a little extra until sprout...just a very little tho maybe every 2 days until sprout pops her head up

17. Thats sounds good, i squeezed it its definitely not soaked i also mix a lit bit more dry soil. with it and i think it going to be good.

18. I germed it in a cup of water for 24 hours and going to plant it.

19. Half a bottle? How much is in 1 bottle?