Water Temperature?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by ZomgWead, Jan 18, 2009.

1. I've had a recirculating hydro setup running for awhile now, and i've always let the water remain at room temperature without any problems, but it seems way too cold, and i know when i let the rockwool for my seedlings get a little warmer than i think they should be, they grow like crazy. I've never seen any guide mention water temperature, especially the addition of a submersible heater, so i was wondering if anyone here had any experience warming their nutrient solution? Does it make a noticible difference in root growth? What about the risk of algae? Where's the point at which you start damaging the roots with heat, or stunting them with cold?

For what it's worth, I have a 3 gal reservoir feeding into a 3 gal bin of hydroton. Foxfarm nutes in lighter than suggested doses. Fresh solution every two weeks. 150W HPS, at a large enough distance that it does nothing to affect the temperature of the plants. I don't have a thermometer on hand, but if i had to guess i'd say the water's in the high 60s, low 70s. room temp.

2. You don't want the water to get much below 60F. It can stunt growth, and in some cases make the whole plant droop.

3. 68F is the ideal/perfect temp for dro. I generally feel ok straying 5 degrees in either direction... 63F (lowest) - 73F highest.

4. thanks, i went for a submersible heater, i'll post the results if i see any.

5. I always had to throw ice cubes in my res to keep it cool

6. just wanted to update after the heater. I put it in right after taking the first pic, and they've been growing great since. started LST day before last pic. the other plant in the middle is a red pepper, the foil is to keep the leaf out of the spraying water.

[​IMG]

7. ive read that 78 degrees ferenheit is required for the break down of the nutrients in your water. the nuts break down and the plants take what they want.............

8. I was just about to ask the same question. I have a 25 gal reservoir on a cold basement floor. The ambient air is good, but the water feels much too cold. I want to get a submersible heater but for now stuck a heating pad under it and it has made a significant difference.

Is there any statistics or research on water temps in hydro set-ups? My other thought was to put my seedling heat mat under the reservoir. Any thoughts on this?

-Cheers-
    Tap

9. #9 OG'er 4rEaleR, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
    ZOMG SIR! +reP

I like the set up chilling with the red pepper LOL!! :D Is'nt there a prob with having all of them in the same bucket though'? They'll fight for space and oxygen! though I've heard... Im a soil man my'self! Though about to re-design the "spot" add a Bucket and a 6 net drip or ebb? Looking at yours... re-circ sounds like a good idea!!

10. #10 ZomgWead, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
    had to put the peppers on 24/0 and then 20/4 for the herb, which put it back into veg, so all the damn peppers fell off, so i just cut it down, which is why it's missing from the bottom pic. it was made easier by the fact that the roots were literally coming out of the bottom container, insane, since it's full of clay about 14 inches deep. i did worry about the weed having to fight for space, but i also saw the weed winning, because it's a weed.

i have actually built a 4chamber top system that mirrors the one shown here, it's of my own design (i handbuilt this one as well, with help from instructables, ill lengthen this post later today) ill post some pictures and a brief howto in a bit. there's really no advantage to having them together like this. the roots have a BIT more space but it's nothing you can't give them in their own containers. so far the medium has been really forgiving, as this is the third generation of assorted plants that's been in the same batch. snowpeas, peppers, weed. there are tons of dead roots in there, but i guess they're being either preserved or just healthily becoming compost, since the water is clear of smells and all that. i started flowering today (they're so young, and yet my room smells so dank. it's a problem) so i plan to wash the clay after that. also keep a lookout for a howto on handbuilt air filters in the coming days. either window mounted or standalone. i built an air duct and plan to incorp some aquarium carbon and dryer sheets. superhood. we'll see how it turns out.

11. LOL!!

18 post and already into howtOs = )... your on the ball man!!

4chambers! I like that, sO i will be staying tuned to your HowtoS..:wave::smoke:

12. Any updates on your water temps? I have not found any research or documentation on what temps work best although a range of 60-75 seems common. I have a heating pad under my reservoir right now but it still seems cold to the touch. I think an aquarium heater is next but I want to find what the optimum temp would be and keep it at that.