Water Purification?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by MadMunchies101, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Im their are some backpackers around these parts. I am trying to find an affordable and safe method for water purification on the trail. Last summer and fall i used iodine tablets which im now reading don't protect you as much as they should, i've heard many people say that although they kill a fair amount of the harmful bugs in water, they don't kill all of them .

What does everyone use? Water is an important part of hiking, and living for that matter so i want to be as safe as i can about it without spending large sums of money on a filter (which may be necessary?"

2. Take an empty water bottle. Cut the bottom off and fill the neck with sand, gravel, and charcoal. Pour whatever water you find into the bottle and let it seep through the mouthpiece into another container. This removes the vast majority of physical impurities. You can then boil the water, or let it sit in a clear bottle in the sunlight for 6 hours. This'll get rid of the unseen impurities. I'm a naturalist. This is how I drink water I find out there in the "real" world.

3. WOW, the above comment is totally bogus for any hiker or backpacker.

Anyhow, from my time in the woods I would recommend a traditional ceramic type pump/gravity filter, they are tested and proven. They are probably regarded as the safest, however a trusted hiking pal uses nothing but a SteriPen and swears by it for solo purposes. Either way, the water has an untreated flavor and in all my years has never allowed for a water sickness to effect me.

Though I have drank a lot of unfiltered water in my life and never gotten sick, so maybe it is all about the water source and you could go without one if the area permitted.

Hope this helps.

4. Yeah man, just completely ignore my advice. I have no idea what I'm talking about. At all.

5. Phantom, your method of water purification is just not practical for backpacking. I believe MadMunch, the thread starter, is asking what types of purification systems that hikers/backpackers use on the trail in lieu of tablets. Carrying and operating your system on the move everyday would be too much of a hassle. Your technique may work just fine if you were stationary, but can you find the gravel and sand at every watering hole and then wait the 6 hours or boil it, no, this is unreasonable due to its time intensity. Overall, you offered poor advice.

6. He was asking for a cheap/free way to filter water. It's not hard to carry a hand held version of this; tape the two chambers together. Boiling/waiting 6 hours is optional but recommended. Yes it's not the most practical way to purify water if you're on the move, but if you find yourself in need of a way to do it and you don't have any man made tablets laying around, there's one way.

7. Honestly, I've always just used iodine tablets because their cheap, light, and especially because they're convenient. The water is safe and although it doesn't taste great, a little powdered drink mix helps. On those evenings when you make a campfire, boil water for the next day. This isn't really practical when using a stove because it uses too much fuel. Your best defense is to choose your water sources carefully if you have a choice. Springs that drip or run out of rock are the best IMO. I rarely bother treating the water at all. The higher up the mountain you can get water from streams, the safer it is. Water in valleys, hollows, agricultural areas, and low elevations are the worst. I have a couple thousand miles under my belt and have never gotten sick from tainted water and to be honest, I haven't met many knowledgeable backpackers who have.

8. Sorry for the late response, don't get around computers often.

Thanks for the tips everyone, i've heard of the steri - pen and pump options and i need to stop being cheap and pick one up, the steri-pen is my first pick. My buddies have all told me stories of iodine tablets failing on them while ster-pens are very reliable.

phantomxrider, wasn't exactly what i was looking for, good to know in case im ever in the woods for long period of time, thanks.

9. aquamira and boiling.

its the two best options. LMFAO at the sand in the water bottle thing. SHIT DONT WORK YO.

and... girardia can easily KILL you in the wilderness.

do not treat untreated water in the wilderness. take aquamira. there is no good reason not to, unless you are some pure vegan bullshit trip.

ceramic filters are good, but prone to cracking in freeze/thaw conditions, which in high alpine can happen all year.

peace and feel free to ask any questions, i take this issue very serious and have done alot of research.

10. this is what your looking for. i have never noticed a bad taste in the water, like drinking good tap water. its super lite, works fast, and offers great protection. you can use it in murky water as well. ive drank some questionable stuff with this treatment, stagnent desert ponds, that type of stuff.

[​IMG]

11. You're absolutely right

That's why they use it in a good bit of water treatment plants

And that's why I'm dead from drinking contaminated water

And that's why primitive people use holes in the ground

And that's why it's everywhere on the goddamn internet

12. Except in third world countries where medical help is rare or non existant and water supplies are infested by livestock feces, giardia is almost never fatal. In fact, it usually takes a a week or two after consumption of tainted water for symptoms to develop and most people will be back home close to doctors and drug stores before they even get the runs. Chlorine kills the adult parasite but not the eggs. Iodine is still more effective than chlorine to rid suspect water supplies of giardia. Water filters are nice but they do clog and are a pain in the ass to use. For a lone hiker or backpacker, I'd still recommend iodine tablets. Unless you're pulling your water from beaver ponds, stock ponds, or urban mud puddles, the threat of giardia is blown way out of proportion for most backcountry travelers IMO, especially at elevation. Most of what I've read in this thread is solid advice and I'm not trying to belittle anyone's personal methods, all of them work well enough but I've been backpacking for 35+ years without incident and I still use iodine.

13. [quote name='Dreadlocker']this is what your looking for. i have never noticed a bad taste in the water, like drinking good tap water. its super lite, works fast, and offers great protection. you can use it in murky water as well. ive drank some questionable stuff with this treatment, stagnent desert ponds, that type of stuff.

You say theres very little noticeable taste difference? No shitty iodine and whatnot? If so, then this looks fantastic. I still wouldn't be using it any murky water, just because :smoke:.

14. There was this YouTube video that Shane Dawson had (yes I watched his shit at one point :eek:) and they were testing out this thermos/filter thing. He even put some piss in there and drank it, nothing came out but some water. I dunno what it's called but I'm sure you can find out.

15. despite what everyone else in this thread may think man seriously take my advice. i have been working in the wilderness bacountry, and am trained at a very high level in alot of outdoor pursuits. if u need to drink water that is not direct snowmelt or spring fed, use a treatment. the best treatment is boiling and aquarima (i use a combination, aqua on the go, boiling in camp). it tastes 100 times better then iodine LOL!

ive argued with alot of fucking uneducated redneck wilderness types, online and off, on this subject before so im just letting the op know this is the last post ill make on the subject. i dont care if you fucked 50 girls without a condom and never got and std.... ur still stupid for doing it.

its the same way with giardia and other waterborn bacteri/viruses/contamination. bear in mind that giardi is not the only serious water born threat in north america.

When you boil water, bring it to a rolling boil. large fisheyes may work, but rolling is the only way to be sure (it only takes and extra minute)

if you decided to go with a ceramic or manual filter make sure you carry a backup treatment option because they can crack/clog/freeze/ etc.

16. Just grab a pump filter. Use them everytime I go out have never had a bad experience