Water PH or runoff?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Cold Play, Feb 7, 2012.

1. When I add my nutrients into my water the PH is around 7.3 but when I water my plants the run-off is always 5.8 - 6.3. (It is soil)
    Is it only the runoff the matters? I assume 5.8-6.3 is a good range for soil plants but idk if the initial water should be lower PH?

2. you measure both... but what your really looking to do is force the runoff to 6.8-7.0

so since your watering with 7.3 and the soil is forcing the PH to drop to 5.8-6.3... you need to raise the PH of your watering to 7.8 or flush with lots of 6.8 to force the PH of the soil up... either will work....

it kinda depends on how your plant looks... if its fine i'd just sprinkle powdered dolomite lime over the soil and continue watering with 7.3 and see what happens to the runoff, it should jump up to close to 7.0

if the plant is terrible i'd sprinkle powered dolomite lime on the soil and flush with some 6.8... once the PH was raised you should only have to water with some 7.0 and things should be more stable...

other might have their own opinion... keep us posted

3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very good answer + rep, I like the Ph to be 6.5 - 6.8 in soil for optimum results.

4. [quote name='"Wizball"']^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Very good answer + rep, I like the Ph to be 6.5 - 6.8 in soil for optimum results.[/quote]

I should have included a clause in my post that every strain is different and the PH might need to fluctuate higher or lower

Wiz has the best answer here...maybe a slight raise in ph would help...do you have any pics of the plant?

5. When you say that, you are speaking of the run off correct? The run off is the actual ph of the soil?

6. yes the runoff, and yes the runoff represents the ph of the soil

7. I watered with 1 gallon of water post transplant and that was where the runoff was from. The plant's have way to much water because i transplanted to early and the root system is under developed.

The soil will not dry out? Should i try to cut the plants out?

8. Um thats a lot of water, I give my ladies a good flush at the end of flowering and it can take around a week before it gets dry.

I'd wait it out, wouldn't want to cut the roots.

You don't need much run-off :smoke:

9. #9 Cold Play, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Hey Tih, you have been giving tremendous amounts of help along with other posters!
    Thanks you :)

So, if you read my other post after a rough transplanted and no growth yesterday I am finally seeing new growth and new leaves developing.

It is still slow though, the soil is drying out though. I hope these plants get by.

Note - For the droppy plant, it was like that per-transplant in the party cup. All transplants were fairly smooth but unfortunately while cutting around the edge of the cup i slit a small small root so she needs special care.

They are all day 11 from sprout. Still in seedling stage. (I've read first 14 days are seedling stage then it enters veg where the growth starts).

I can't get PH up and down. I know you mentioned dominate lime. Is there anything else thats easy to find anyone recommended? I want good PH for my plants :(

The first picture's plant is afghan kush, it is growing pretty well after the transplant. The other 2 you see there are still recovering.

If you have any more advice it would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Was just re-reading thread and:

I definitely should raise my soils PH, I know all plants are different. Could I maybe raise it to around 6.6-6.8 and see the response? Though I am not sure how I would know if the plant would want more or less.

"if the plant is terrible i'd sprinkle powered dolomite lime on the soil and flush with some 6.8... once the PH was raised you should only have to water with some 7.0 and things should be more stable..."

I hope im not coming across as painfully stupid. I am a newbie grower but I don't fully understand what you said there. How should I mix the dolomite lime into the soil? Sprinkle it on top and water over it? Mix it into the 7.0 - 7.4 water on next watering? Somehow mix it into the soil?

Attached Files:

10. hey man, sorry i didn't even see you'd posted a response to me... sometimes you have to shoot me a PM... i have a serious amount of things going on at home, i am trying to rectify a 3500 dollar IRS bill as well as being the sole bread winner in my family of five... i get busy

I cant really tell what your plant is doing there in those pictures... you need to cover your HPS/MH light with cardboard and use a supplemental light with a flash to get a good colored picture, unless your plants really are yellow like that...if so, that would be a cause for concern

secondly, start a journal... this way we can follow along and really get a grasp for whats going on here... were only really seeing a small portion of the problem... pics of your grow space and where you get your air from and where it goes will really help, besides.... your journal will benefit you and others who read it... more pictures the better

as far as amending your soil goes... POWDERED DOLOMITE LIME.... wal-mart has some... it might not be powered, just put it in a bag and crush it... table spoon per gallon of soil... just sprinkle it on the top and water like normal... it takes two weeks to really get worked into the soil... if i had my choice it would be mixed in two weeks before a plant goes in, but we cant do that now... so sprinkling works, most high end MJ soils have some mixed way in advance to ensure good PH... when you water with incorrect PH for too long the dolomite lime can only do so much...

there are other ways to amend soil, i just think if you cant grasp using dolomite lime I really hesitate to go explaining things further and much more complicated and might not work as well... dolomite lime is cheap, maybe seven dollars... and you don't really need it, just think of it like a helping hand... if you cant/don't want to get it, don't.... just be more on top of correcting your PH, problem solved

now for your transplant question.... think of plants like this.... once you do something today, your plant reacts to it usually next week... the fact that your actually seeing good growth after a transplant the following day, wow... lucky... stress from a transplant usually is enough to stunt growth for a week... so.... a watched pot never boils... let your plant do its thing... stop staring, take problems as they come... the time for being proactive as passed... now your purely reactive... if its too hot, fix it... if its too wet, just let it dry out... if its too dry just water it... I know this seems like terrible advice... but don't stress yourself out, its just a plant, if it dies just grow another one

i dont know if i made things worse or better, but my PM box is always open... hit me up, makes my phone beep... ill respond as long as it takes