Water for plants RO unit?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by spitz006, Feb 18, 2012.

1. My Dad is setting up a (legal) grow room. For watering purposes, his well water is way too high of a pH for the plants. He seems to think they need to be watered with a pH of 6.4, but I think 7 will be fine. The water from his well is probably in the high 7's or maybe up to 8, so he's got it in some big 55 gallon drum and he's got some sort of chemical that's supposed to lower the pH.

I suggested that he get a RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit instead... I believe they're pretty cheap, maybe $120, and then he wouldn't have a problem.

Let me know by posting or sending me an e-mail, thanks very much.

2. To be clear, I'm not talking about hydroponics. We're growing in soil, I'm just talking about the water we're using to water the plants.

Also he plans on putting an aquarium air-pump in the bucket to move the water around so the chemical he's using disperses the water. I told him that he should try to have the least surface agitation as possible, because surface agitation will make the oxygen leave the water. I don't know if this is true or not.

3. That is not true. Adding an aquarium pump or better yet an airstone will lots to oxygenate the water. Stagnant still water loses its loose oxygen.

4. In soil it is best that your ph be around 6.6. You would benefit from ro water but you will still have to adjust your ph

5. Well plants don't breath oxygen they breathe co2. And air-bubbles release co2 into the air.

6. The roots need oxygen. Thus why over-watering drowns them.