water foaming in tank

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shooter350, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Can anyone tell me why my water is foaming in the tank? (deep water culture) it is 5 days old.

2. Something in either your nutrients or your water is allowing foam to form.

Are you using RO water? Are the nutrients you are using intended for hydroponic use?

3. No RO water. General Hydro nutes. It smells funny too.

4. Well water or municipal water? How well light sealed is your reservoir?

It sounds like you have either some sort of contaminant in the water or nutrients, or something you don't want growing in there.

5. Sounds to me like your getting a light leak or you never cleaned you system with 10% bleach in water solution before starting the grow. Likely a light leak. Take a flash light and put it on the plastic if you can see the light on the other side you need to cover it with aluminum tape

6. Nope sounds normal to me..

Im not sure about hydroponics but my brother in law used to have heaps of aquariams and water pump systems and the water always foamed after a while, it starts with just bubbles forming around the area then built up and built up...

That what yours did?

7. nope this is 100% not normal

you should never have any foaming or froth in your water its caused by bacteria and algae :smoke:

8. I washed it before starting, but not with bleach, changed water last night and used RO water, and just checked and i have a little foam but not much .

9. did you do the light test??? with the flashlight???? very important like super duper dumb ass important:confused:

10. blacked out the top, and washed everything with a bleach solution last night, it has no foam tonight. Seems to be fixed. Thank you:eek:

11. Just checked the water it has been about 34 hours and it has a little bit of foam could there be some bacteria in the hydroton. I was afraid to take the plant out. this is a 8 day old plant.

12. You said you blacked out the tops of the buckets, what about the sides? Where they already done, and if so, what did you cover them with?

In short, any light you allow into those buckets is going to cause this kind of problem, the more light that gets in, the faster the problem comes back.

You need to make sure that your buckets are 100% light proof, preferably by using aluminum tape, otherwise you will probably be fighting with this for your whole grow.

13. refer to the post above mine and also yes you need to clean out your hydroton now too cause it has the bacteria and algae in and on it now. also cover the top of your hydroton with a paper plate covered in aluminum tape with a 1" size hole the the center for your plant to grow

14. It is defininitly a light leak or the resevoir temp is too high causing as mentioned before algae and bacterial growth. If the res. temp is gettin too hot there may be other issues associated with this. Keep a close check on this because this "foam" will cause PH to swing wildly sometimes casusing lockout, good luck.