Water curing

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by fasteddie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. wow, this has me convinced to try this. i just want to know how it works a lil more. is it because the THC isnt water soluble and it leaches out all of the chlorophyl and fertilizers and everything else? i think im going to try this on some of my buds when i harvest, i only have 4 really small plants, but may try this with a lil of it so i have weed to smoke sooner, and cure the rest in jars.

2. You pretty much hit the nail on the head, all the bad stuff is leached out but as stated thc is not water soluble. Try it with a little, if you like it you can cure more pretty fast but save some of that for jar cure too. I love a good jar cure, its worth the wait. Good luck with your farming.:smoking:

3. thanks fasteddie, i plan to do it with just a lil of my first harvest, and if i really like it then i will do a lil more, and jar the other half.

4. For smoking air and bag/jar curing is far better. It'll taste much better at least. Water curing is great for making hash oil, for cooking, etc.

If it's carefully handled you'll lose very few trichomes. The end result is actually a bit more potent because more mass is leeched in the form of chloryphyll, etc. when water cured.

A 7 day air cure tastes like shit. A 7 day water cure has mostly no taste at all. Note that after 7 days in water it still needs to be dried, but at that point a good food dehydrator can do it rather quickly.

5. I water cure for my Green Dragon and tinctures as well, yes.

6. do you leave the jar uncovered or sealed?

7. i've heard of this but never tried it. i'll have to give it a shot next time

8. Covered, in the dark, and change the water at least once a day.

9. Awesome. todays the 7th day. im excited to try this out.

10. #30 Green thum, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009

Dont put a cover over it, it needs to be left open so the chlorophyl can evaporate from the water.

How did it smoke? I'm currently trying this for the first time. :)

11. You're totally wrong. First of all chlorophyl does not evaporate. You change the water one or more times per day and thus remove the undesireables. Leaving it open increases the risk of wild molds and yeasts taking hold although that's not a huge deal if you're changing the water.

You don't just let them sit in the water for a week. It has to be changed at least daily.

12. I was just repeating what I have read in the many guides I read about it before I tried this method of curing.

And I didnt say anything about the frequency of water change, so why are you assuming I was telling him to not change it the whole time.

13. Water curing was amazing. it did loose lots of weight 6oz to .5 oz but the bud was dense and strong :)

14. was that six ounces of fresh cut herb and .5 oz cured and dried or was the first weight dry also? cuz thats alot more weight than i thought unless thats just water weight. im doing my first grow this year and i figure the faster the cure the better so i think ill just do all my herb in a big cooler with water and change it every day i figure i could probably just leave it outside so it wont be a problem. im very excited to try all the things i learn here on gc!

15. Are you arguing with OSG?

:confused:

16. Glad to see the water-cure getting some respect. If you want really clean bud, and fast, it's king. I don't care much about taste, so that isn't a problem.
    This method is popular among personal growers in Netherlands.

17. #37 Green thum, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009

With all respect due to his great skill level with growing, curing and processing cannabis etc. No one is always right. He read what I said wrongly and said I was totaly wrong when I was not. He was the one who was wrong for disagreeing with something in my post that he misinterpreted.

18. no it was the soaking wet bud, i never got a fresh cut weight.

19. So today is the seventh day of water curing some fresh cut. The water never really got that dirty. It smelled kinda funky but that ws it. anybody know if that means none of the bad stuff seeped out? I figure tommorrow ill start to dry it.