Water catch?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by plants2fresh, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Getting ready to build a cabinet and got it pretty much figured out other than a few minor details. One being what to use to catch the water dripping outta the pots after/during watering. I work at a cabinet shop ironically so I have access to pretty much whatever I need so I was thinking of just making some sort of support to set the pots on then putting a drawer under it and maybe using a rubbermaid tub but I'm sure there are better ways so what are some of the ways you guys catch the runoff?

2. Use OSB board, seal with water sealant, layer pond liner on top, use 2x4 as sides and brace the bottom with 2x4's. Buy a flood and drain nozzle, install drain nozzle. Set newly built tray on top of cinder blocks, place bucket underneath to catch water. Thats it!! lol

3. that sounds a little crazy since all you got to do is buy a plastic Rubbermaid tub and build a wooden frame around it so it dont change shape when lots of water gets into it, or get a sink and use the drain, there are some sinks that are small and short designed to wash parts in or something like that and use that - or get those things that are spsopsta go under pots and collect water and just use a shop vac to empty it out home depot sells this things called a "bucket head" and its a vacuum that goes onto a 5gal bucket and it works great, get one of those and its easy to clean out

4. [quote name='"leftkidney"']

that sounds a little crazy since all you got to do is buy a plastic Rubbermaid tub and build a wooden frame around it so it dont change shape when lots of water gets into it, or get a sink and use the drain, there are some sinks that are small and short designed to wash parts in or something like that and use that - or get those things that are spsopsta go under pots and collect water and just use a shop vac to empty it out home depot sells this things called a "bucket head" and its a vacuum that goes onto a 5gal bucket and it works great, get one of those and its easy to clean out[/quote]

The Home Depot Bucket Head Wet/Dry Vacs work great and their like $30.

Definitely a worthwhile grow expense.

5. Before I had my flood tables, I would use 7 gallon pot inside a 5 gallon paint bucket.

6. I like the rubbermaid idea, I'm trying to make it easy to empty without shopvacing but I do need to buy a shopvac so that just might be what I do.

7. if you need a shop vac then really you should get 2 of them and only use one for water because it sucks to change it over from wet to dry and back again, you go tot remove this filter and stuff - just get 2 of them and use 1 for the water

I used to be looking for a easy way to remove water in the past, I tried everything I could think of including a small pump for mixing nutes in a resie and I used it to pump out the water into a bucket but it was just a pain - I tried the wet vac and I love the idea, you dont have to get the large one either I have one thats for cleaning out a car or something like that and only holds like 1 gal of water but it works fine for the little round thingies that go under a plant I never over fill them and can usually empty like 10 of them before having to empty the vac

you have to clean it out all the time or it will get smelly and slimy inside - use hydrogen peroxide to clean it out the brown bottle type works fine or you can mix your own but pour about 500ml into a small cup and suck it up with the vac to clean out the inside then dump it out and take some more and pour it inside and rinse it out - even over night it will get nasty so I clean it every time but you can get away with cleaning it every week at a minimum or it will not last and you will have wasted money on it

8. [quote name='"leftkidney"']if you need a shop vac then really you should get 2 of them and only use one for water because it sucks to change it over from wet to dry and back again, you go tot remove this filter and stuff - just get 2 of them and use 1 for the water

I used to be looking for a easy way to remove water in the past, I tried everything I could think of including a small pump for mixing nutes in a resie and I used it to pump out the water into a bucket but it was just a pain - I tried the wet vac and I love the idea, you dont have to get the large one either I have one thats for cleaning out a car or something like that and only holds like 1 gal of water but it works fine for the little round thingies that go under a plant I never over fill them and can usually empty like 10 of them before having to empty the vac

you have to clean it out all the time or it will get smelly and slimy inside - use hydrogen peroxide to clean it out the brown bottle type works fine or you can mix your own but pour about 500ml into a small cup and suck it up with the vac to clean out the inside then dump it out and take some more and pour it inside and rinse it out - even over night it will get nasty so I clean it every time but you can get away with cleaning it every week at a minimum or it will not last and you will have wasted money on it[/quote]

Thanks man! I was out looking at 5 gallon ones the other day think I might pick one up. I just need one to keep the grow area clean of leaves and dirt and stuff.

9. I use a plastic tray with holes drilled in the bottom and place it in a 5 gallon bucket. This works for 3 gallon containers and less. I just set the pot on top of the tray and the runoff drains into the bucket.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Batch you're brilliant! But I'm gonna be using 5 gallon buckets :/ I think I might use a variation of this method tho!

11. Get two 5-gallon buckets for each plant. Drill holes in the bottom of one and place it inside the other.

12. ^^^^^^

That's what I do, or a 3 gal inside a 5. Just a bitch to empty when the ladies get tall and top heavy. Rules out scrog unless u screen each bucket individually. :(

13. If you're really handy, you could do the bucket-in-bucket approach and attach a pvc valve to the bottom of the outer bucket and put a hose on each valve, then drain to a master dump bucket whenever you want without having to move the plants.

14. I was thinking about something like that. Maybe put the plants on a wire shelf and put a shower bottom with drain underneath running to bucket but I kinda wanna keep it simple and discreet. Gotta make everybody that knows in growing think I quit.

15. ^That's a good approach too.

But...if people know you are a grower, are you sure you should move forward now? Might it be better to wait a few months?

16. Yea, I plan on waiting till mid January. Nobody would know if my brother wouldn't have went running his mouth. That was my first mistake, got excited and showed him :/