Water Access hole

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by brisny65, Dec 31, 2012.

1. I'm going to try Deep Water Culture Hydroponics soon. It will be in a 10 gallong Sterlite container with a lid on it. I've been wondering how I'll be able to get water samples for measuring pH and nutrient levels. Do any of you think this is a good idea: drilling another hole in the lid which could be covered with a large drain plug. I was thinking I could dip a ladle into this hole and get a water sample. Someone suggested just lifting a corner of the lid, but I'm afraid this will be a problem once the plants are entangled in the screen. Does drilling the access hole seem like a good idea? Thanks Bee:smoking:

2. Just go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap small sprinkler valve or petcock. If it's not flanged, silicone or jb weld it in place

3. I drill extra holes and use foil tape to cover them and have for years. It's the easiest way imho to get the sample readings (I just dip meters in the top of bucket as my holes are 3 inches) and add water etc... I use foil tape because other plugs were not effective at blocking the light.

I use totes with net pot holes in each corner and then just use two holes at a time so the other 2 holes are there to take readings from.

4. That is the thread that started it all... lol

But I don't like messing with the drilling,fittings,etc anymore. Different folks different strokes. I also found it impossible to keep gunk from growing on the indicator tube. But indeed those buckets rock.

5. Just install a meter that is on 24/7 and fashion it to the bucket so no light leeks in the bucket.

6. Just use 3/4" and 1" hole saw drill its. Perfect holes, done in a second, and NO leaks. Also, for your site tubes, I have no idea why people always say they get algae. For about $3 you can buy black foam pipe insulation, and that bag will last you for like 30 buckets or so easily. They just slip right on the sight tube, instant algae proof. A black sock will serve as well. Its really easy to cover up the tube except for when you need to look at it.

Anyway, those tips can make drilling a piece of cake, and your sight tube is now algae proof.

7. Thanks for all the input, folks. My question has been answered. I'm going to try it the way I thought of.