Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Wasted a 1/4 of weed by burning butter, any way to salvage it?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by upinsky, Jul 14, 2010.

1. #1 upinsky, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
    I don't know how I went wrong, I made butter before, but maybe this time it was too hot. I had it in the fridge overnight so it was enough time to harden.

Anyway there is a very thin layer of butter on top (about 1/4 of an inch) that's barely even solid. It's like when a layer of fat develops at the top of milk, when I try to scoop it out it just mixes with the water on the bottom. But it is a consistent layer all around.

Is there any way to salvage this? The little bit of butter must be super potent since I had a whole 1/4 in there. Maybe I can just add butter melt it all again. Or is the THC gone already? I just started another batch and I'm scared the butter melted already cuz the water is not that yellow.

2. Just don't do it that way. Use Hashmouf's guide on Cannabutter. He only simmers the butter for like 5-10mins then puts it in the fridge. That way, you have les of a chance to burn it in the future.

3. Okay, I'll try that next time. I've done this method before though so I don't know what I'm doing wrong this time. I think it happened again. Here are the pics.. the first one is all liquid, no solid butter. Second one looks like liquid but has only been cooling for 2 hours or so now, so I didnt include a pic of the inside

Attached Files:

4. This has happened to me before. I strained it through cheese cloth and did oatmeal cookies along with about 1/4 stick of regular butter in the cookie mix, a little moisture won't fuck up an oatmeal cookie :)

They weren't as potent as normal, but at least it wasn't a complete waste.

You scalded the cream. You have to keep dairy below 170 F. and even that over extended periods it can still get fucked up. I have had zero issues since I started the extra step of clarifying the butter first. It can hold up to higher temps and longer periods. After it's chilled you can add some regular butter to it if you wish. For non-dessert recipes I prefer to use clarified.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMdwFOBZ_lE]YouTube - Clarified Butter[/ame]

5. #5 upinsky, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
    Thanks I might try that. I really just need to do less time, put it on the very lowest, and stir it the whole time. I'm on an old gas stove it gets hot. The time I did it before I was on a gas stove too but it was a newer better one.

Now to save this batch.. What else can I make that has that much water in it? The SMALL container you see in the pictures is a PINT of ice cream lol. So the other one is even bigger. I know scones use a lot of water but what else could I make? (Not drinking it, it must taste terrible)

If I add another stick of butter and simmer the mix, wont it get any remaining THC in the liquid into the new stick of melted butter? I cant think of anything that takes that much water. I rather not make tea because I rather make all my edibles at once.

6. I really don't understand.. If I add butter to the liquid mix wont it get any of the remaining THC back into the butter? There's a thin layer of fat on the top of the liquid, like when milk fat rises to the top.

By the way 2nd batch turned out a lot better, melting the butter down now to see how much is left, then Ima add enough butter to get it back to 1/2cup