Washington Voters - NO on I-502

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Husky42, Nov 22, 2011.

1. I bolded the part that points out you don't need a licence as long as you meet the criteria. This exact section was posted earlier in this thread but this is just to draw everyone's attention to it again.

NEW SECTION. Sec. 65. A new section is added to chapter 66.12 RCW
    28 to read as follows:
    29 (1) It is unlawful for a person not licensed as a valid cannabis
    30 farmer under section 25 of this act to produce cannabis except in
    31 compliance with the following requirements
    :
    32 (a) The person is twenty-one years of age or older;
    HB 1550 p. 64 1 (b) The cannabis is produced in the home or yard that is not
    2 visible from any public place, excluding air space;
    3 (c) The person possesses no more than one cannabis garden;
    4 (d) The homegrown cannabis garden or the square footage of the
    5 total combined plant canopy area does not exceed fifty square feet in
    6 size;
    7 (e) The cannabis or hemp is produced on property owned or lawfully
    8 leased by the person producing it;
    9 (f) Any useable cannabis gratuitously transferred from the person
    10 who owns, leases, or otherwise exerts control over the real property on
    11 which the cannabis or hemp is being produced does not exceed one ounce
    12 in weight; and
    13 (g) The cannabis or hemp plants are not produced in a manner or
    14 place that a reasonable person would know to be open to the view of a
    15 member of the general public positioned in or moving through a public
    16 place.
    17 (2) A violation of this subsection is a gross misdemeanor offense.

So basically, to my understanding, as long as you grow it where no one can see it and keep the product of it under an ounce you can grow your own marijuana without a licence. Sounds like a good deal to me. I don't know how hard it is to keep the product under an ounce though because I don't grow myself.

How much does a plant usually produce per harvest?

2. #42 buylow8863, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    Outdoor plants can easily yield a pound or more.

3. Are you people fucking kidding me? Do you think the bill is going to be perfect the first time? OF COURSE NOT!! Damn people, sure it has problems. But it is better than what we have now. And once the general misinformed public sees that marijuana isn't that bad once this passes, we will be able to have a new bill next year.

YES ON 502

4. #44 Jayjangle, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
    This is still obviously better than it being illegal. if the initiative fails then we have a dark next few years for weed. Policies can always be adjusted over time to be more appropriate...this might start off looking iffy but it can always improve. The important thing is that we get cannabis legal so these changes can take place without even more people getting arrested and cannabis being doomed to a future widespread disapproval and clumping with meth related crimes.

Simply put, beggars can't be choosers. We are looking at a very significant initiative that could change the way we do what we do tremendously. Of course some of the same policies with alcohol will be there, because we are talking about an intoxicant that has been illegal almost everywhere for decades. Rome wasn't built in a day, and sometimes we must settle for our pancakes without syrup when starved.

I don't see where voting "No" to I-502 would be no worse than supporting the war on drugs. If the initiative fails the war will be completely re-fueled and you can expect more people to be jailed in the early days following. Think of this beyond being picky and getting exactly what you want, and more as an important step toward better cannabis policy that needs to be taken.

5. If it fails, you can expect that every "dispensary" and large growing coop in WA will be targeted by the feds. I can't emphasize enough how bad CA fucked itself by not passing Prop 19 - it was like giving the feds an invitation.

6. I'll take the chance of a DUI any day over $$$ going to cartels, removal of stigma associated with burning, and introducing this great plant to a much larger population to create and invent. November 6th is a very important day in modern American history and marijuana user who votes it down are hypocrites who don't fully understand why this glorious plant is here on Earth.

7. All I'm getting from these guys arguing against it is "I got mine so the rest of you can fuck off."

8. #48 buylow8863, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    Well, FUCK. I owe some apologies.

I clicked on the below link (which was posted earlier in this thread by somebody else),
    and ffs thought I was reading 502 when it really was bill 1550.

I was on the wrong fucking planet.

sorry, xdog
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/1550.pdf

9. I can't believe any smokers would vote against this. How fucking selfish can a person be ffs.

10. Exactly what I get from it, too.

No offense to medical holders, but the only people I see on the forums opposing 502 is them, and most of the time their only argument is for not wanting to personally be caught driving with THC in their blood, with no other regard for those without their medical. Before medical cannabis was legalized it was illegal for everyone period, and future patients would have loved bud as much as anyone else.

Trust me, if this turns into a "weed for special groups only" deal, the crime will still exist full-force if not worse. It's not the removal of tension, it is the placing of it somewhere else.

11. First, let me thank you for the acknowledgement that you were reading the WRONG LAW when you were accusing me of being full of shit.

Patients are not simply opposing this because it's bad for US.....it's bad for EVERYONE.

Under I-502, NO ONE besides those who would be stupid enough to be fingerprinted by the FBI for the application to get a license, would be allowed to grow. The INCLUDES patients! This is the ultimate Trojan Horse.

Any new law on a specific subject, like growing for instance, supercedes and replaces any older law dealing with the same topic. There is NOTHING in I-502 that makes an exemption for patients' right to grow. It doesn't "change any existing wording in RCW 69.51a"....so they aren't lying about that....but what they aren't telling you is that it simply replaces it with the new law on who can grow....and it's ONLY those with a license from the liquor control board.

Patient growing and collective gardens will be illegal as of January 2013 if I-502 passes. I'm more than happy to prove it to you if you're willing to listen and stop all of the name calling. If, however, you just WANT to be ignorant of the law because you somehow hope that that ignorance won't bite you on the ass, then go right ahead. But bite you on the ass it will, I assure you.

Don't take my word for it. Go to the New Approach Washington website and look at the entire initiative. PROVE ME WRONG....PLEASE! Find just ONE TINY LITTLE THING that says anyone but state licensed growers will be protected from criminal prosecution if this law passes. PLEASE find ANYTHING that creates an exemption for patients being able to grow. It's simply not there.

Now you want the REALLY bad news? There will BE no state licensed growers or state licensed stores. All marijuana will be illegal at that point and we will have set back the cause by 15 years. "Oops, we should have actually read it and now we're fucked" will be too late at that point.

If you are committed to legalizing marijuana for recreational use, TRULY legalizing it here in Washington, I can tell you how to do that. I can tell you how to do it so that the Feds can't stop the State from doing it....which they will with I-502....and very quickly. But everyone seems sold on this particular Trojan Horse as the only hope to legalize cannabis in Washington State. But you're wrong. We can legalize it and NOT have a heinous DUID law!

If you think that patients would not be happier if cannabis was removed from all criminal laws in the state of Washington, then you really aren't understanding our position or our opposition to I-502.

Steve Sarich
    Spokeman
    NO On I-502 Committee

12. What would you say if I could PROVE to you that the DUID component in I-502 is EXACTLY the latest battle plan by the US DRUG CZAR in his never-ending "War on Drugs". Not similar....but exactly his plan. He has stated that his goal is to up the body count by 10% by adding per se DUID's in every state. You think it's a coincidence that his plan ended up as a key component of I-502? Me....I don't believe in coincidences like that.

What if I could show you that the State Patrol is already estimating that they'll need to spend an additional $2 million in new training state patrol officers handle all the additional DUID cases that will occur as a result of I-502. They put that in their portion of the fiscal note that's attached to I-502. So law enforcement is already preparing for the onslaught of DUID arrests.

Steve Sarich
    Spokesman
    NO On I-502 Committee

13. beware of posters with little to no posts in these types of threads. they are here to spread miss information and propaganda.

14. that steve person is making alot of sence can anyone proove her/him wrong?

Beware of ignorant self serving mindset's like your's they will be used to divide us!

It dosent hurt to read,contemplate..

Some of us really do care and want to find out the truth.

Since it takes lawyers to find out the truth and we cant afford them i guess that leaves us with forums and diffrent people's views to get to the truth.Do you have any truth to bring here?

15. Man, this is a troll thread. It's classic divide and conquer prohibitionist bullshit.

From what I understand nothing changes with medical marijuana.

Worried about a dui? Don't drive under the influence and this won't be a problem

Other areas of the bill you have personal grips about can be amended if people feel the same way as you do.

Pass it and least lets get the ball rolling.

16. #56 morefreedom, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
    Progress is progress. The bill can amended in the future as well. A bill passed by residents of a state will send a profound message. A bill declined by voters will send an equally profound message. Also, how can you expect marijuana laws to instantly jump from one extreme to the next? This bill is just a stepping stone.

In my opinion people who smoke which don't want legalization measures passed for whatever reason just add to the negative "stupid stoner" stereotype. At its root, not wanting a bill like this passed is selfishness, shortsightedness, and stupidity.

If this bill doesn't get passed because of people voting against it for selfishness reasons, then maybe our society really does deserve prohibition.

17. it seems like more people are leaning towards yes on I-502. That's what I like to hear. Now tell your friends in Washington and let it be heard!

18. I've been here all my life, and I have seen methamphetamine and occasionally heroin take over most of the places I lived in. I can only imagine how much more productive law enforcement will be against these illicit substances should cannabis be legalized here. In my experience here, laws and policies *always* seem shaky and iffy at first but always get improved over time. This won't be different.

This sort of thing always makes me groan and roll my eyes, because in the end, all of us think to self serve in some way. That is why we vote for what we want. Also, there is no "truth" in politics. The reason they are always like rollercoasters and debated is because no one can agree on what 'legal truth' is. The way you and others here spout "the truth" and all your capitalized words, I have to remind myself I'm not reading a New York Square's preacher's blog.

Usually I do not argue or flame, but I would ask that we leave "the truth" out of this because it turns every thread into a black hole. Or, it makes people think you don't have anything better to bring to the table yourself.

19. Petty, petty, petty!
    Why any marijuana activist would vote against a legalization act is beyond me. The petty bickering between the legalization movement is a large part of what is holding us back. Vote YES to get legislature in the door and then start nitpicking at the legislature.
    The bottom line is that a good lawyer can get you off of a "marijuana DUI" as scientific evidence promotes that marijuana stays present in the system far longer than intoxicants such as alcohol. The passing of a legalization bill will kick-start other legalization efforts across the country, it's simply not right for activists to be the ones holding back the movement, leave that to the close minded voters who will oppose this bill (which needs all the help it can get due to its controversy). Vote YES on I-502.

20. You didn't respond. Do you fall into that category of sheeple that just doesn't want to know the truth?

Here is the Drug Czar's policy for raising the body count on cannabis users by 10%. This will be the second time you will have seen this. The first place you saw it is in I-502....if you actually bothered to read I-502.

The Drug Czar's Plan to arrest cannabis users

The truth is a bitch, right? Call me names all you like, but the truth is the truth.