Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Washington State Employee Drug Testing Laws

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by KFKbackstage, Nov 24, 2012.

1. What protection, if any is there for medical marijuana patients in the work place? What happens if I test positive? Does it vary by employer??

2. There is no protection for employees using medical marijuana.

A couple years ago a woman in Washington was fired from her job for testing positive for marijuana. She had a medical card and took the fight all the way to the Washington Supreme Court, which ruled in favor of her employers.

It does depend on the employer, but not all of them have a choice in whether to fire you for testing positive or not.

3. Same thing in Oregon as well, no protection at all

4. What about for recreational users after I-502 comes into effect? Will they test by the DUI standard of 5 nanograms or use the current test by urine?

5. Employers will still be able to fire you for testing positive for marijuana. Some employers might choose to relax their standards, but they certainly don't have to.

6. What should be done with the Washington and Colorado workplace environment (in my opinion), would be to have initial urine analysis to test for drugs (marijuana included). Have the tests be more specific rather than just positive or negative results in regards to marijuana and set a company standard (under 300-400 nanograms in urine or whatever) and anything under, don't penalize the applicant. From there, make them sign a contract with the company that requires them to submit to a blood test if there is convincing evidence that the employee is under the influence of marijuana while working for said employer (proving this might become difficult) or mandatory blood tests for any employee involved in a personal injury or safety hazard while working. If they tests for above the (Washington Limit of 5 Nanograms per ML of Blood of ACTIVE THC), it is at the discretion of said employer to how they handle the situation.

Sorry, almost have a fifth of scotch in me. Pardon any grammatical errors. Anyway, being a Washington State resident, I hope something along those lines are implemented for the majority of jobs. Smoke after work and on weekends. Don't show up to work stoned and jeopardize other people's well-being. (not saying all stoned individuals lack focus. Usually though, people who don't smoke on a regular basis DO.)

7. Any job that requires you to whip out your dick and urinate into a vile is a little too Orwellian for me. Sorry, but life's too short to make enough money to compensate for that kind of indignity.

8. Pissing in a cup to prove you aren't a liability to your fellow co-worker isn't a problem to me. Now, distinguishing the level of intoxication of said employee is worth my safety and well-being. The problem is, some people can operate heavy machinery with 750NG+ of THC in their urine and show NO SIGNS of intoxication, however, the level of activae THC can vary in a wide amount.

Fact is, putting a specific number on active THC is inconclusive of how one would act under certain circumstances in a working environment.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a first time smoker, smoking a significant amount of marijuana operating heavy machinery around me under the influence. Period. People need to know their limits and understand that moderation is key. If they can't understand that, they shouldn't have a job in our state. If you want to smoke that much, build your tolerance up progressively.

9. OP, you sound like a very responsible dude, cheers:hello:

10. [quote name='"Pie Romania"']

Pissing in a cup to prove you aren't a liability to your fellow co-worker isn't a problem to me. Now, distinguishing the level of intoxication of said employee is worth my safety and well-being. The problem is, some people can operate heavy machinery with 750NG+ of THC in their urine and show NO SIGNS of intoxication, however, the level of activae THC can vary in a wide amount.

Fact is, putting a specific number on active THC is inconclusive of how one would act under certain circumstances in a working environment.

Honestly, I wouldn't want a first time smoker, smoking a significant amount of marijuana operating heavy machinery around me under the influence. Period. People need to know their limits and understand that moderation is key. If they can't understand that, they shouldn't have a job in our state. If you want to smoke that much, build your tolerance up progressively.[/quote]

What happens outside of work is none of works business. Until at work performance is effected work can shove it. Idgaf what my urine levels are

11. Looks like you contributed a lot :hello: douche

Anyways, it's always going to be employers discretion but they could use more accurate test.

12. Sorry? Nothing assails your dignity more than living in poverty, having to depend on others for the food you eat, the room you live in, the electricity to run your lights, the soap to clean your clothes and having to chose whether to buy that six-pack or put a little gas in the car. What's a person to do for a job? Make your own? That's fine for those with that ability but not every has it. Look around you at people doing the work that allows you to have your superior attitude. People you look down your nose at. Get over yourself. How are you special? Those people do think making enough money to support their children is worth the indignity of peeing in a vial.

13. [quote name='"llatikcuf"']Sorry? Nothing assails your dignity more than living in poverty, having to depend on others for the food you eat, the room you live in, the electricity to run your lights, the soap to clean your clothes and having to chose whether to buy that six-pack or put a little gas in the car. What's a person to do for a job? Make your own? That's fine for those with that ability but not every has it. Look around you at people doing the work that allows you to have your superior attitude. People you look down your nose at. Get over yourself. How are you special? Those people do think making enough money to support their children is worth the indignity of peeing in a vial.[/quote]

Let the system tell you how to live your life. Keep up the good work. When those people need thc in them to not be throwing up or in too much pain to work but cant because of piss testing how do THEY provide for their kids?

14. I don't see where you're going with that, Nate. Are you suggesting that when people fall so low as to work for a company or in a profession that drug tests then they are in some way responsible for a MMJ patient not being able to work for a living? Neither you or I have any power over drug testing in the work place. Good lord Nate, do you think I'm for drug testing? I just don't like someone saying they would never stoop so low as to pee in a vial just to feed their kids, like they are above all that. It's an easy thing to say you would never do it when your job doesn't require it, or you're living in your parents basement, or staying at home while your wife goes to work, but if you are a responsible adult sometimes you have to do what you have to do. We all can't grow for a living. Unfortunately.

15. Blood tests for DUI? Really, they're going to draw our blood? Fuck that, I would refuse that shit.

16. I don't understand the point behind this post. Are you being sarcastic? If so, are you sure it's the OP's post that is your target?

17. Sorry for so many posts on this but at first I skipped this gem because of the length, but I did just read it and can't understand why the person that wrote this is on this site. Pie, are you so drunk as to think you are in a forum for drunks instead of one for potheads? If you think work place drug testing is a good idea then your good ideas are my nightmares. Are you for real? You're just joking, right? I no longer name call as I'm trying to be a better person but you challenge my resolve.

18. Having your blood taken for DUI isn't anything new...

You're welcome to refuse it but the consequences for refusal are often as bad or worse than the consequences for DUI.

19. #19 Nate489, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    Hardly any job field requires testing in every occupation in that field. If it fully does its usually a govt job because pissing aint cheap to test.

You are now singling out people in specific field's. Can't find something in my field that wont test is a crock of shit. I make high precision parts as a machinist and i work for a large local company. I do not pee. If i worked for the large corporation in my county i would.

You have a choice, stop giving in.

20. Apparently you are blinded by your own bias. The point of my post was to offer a "medium" rather than an all out "smoke whatever the fuck you want and run some people over if you can't handle your shit".

In no way do I think marijuana impairs everyone who consumes it, but I do know that it effects some far more than it does others. I think people should know their safety is put first and foremost BEFORE someone's leisurely activity. You act like there shouldn't be ANY drug testing in the work place environment, which I am COMPLETELY AGAINST. Would you want to go to work sober (out of respect for other's safety) and, in turn, be seriously injured by someone who doesn't show their fellow co-workers the same respect?

Modify the drug testing policy in regards to Marijuana is what I was saying. More specific drug testing analysis needs to be performed so that not everyone who tests positive is denied a job. If they show up to work under the influence, their job should be at risk. If you don't want to worry about losing your job, find one of the few jobs that doesn't perform drug testing or find a way to employ yourself.

I may have been drunk as fuck that night (I don't remember posting in this thread), but obviously I have more common sense while drunk than you do sober or stoned. I also wasn't aware that people who enjoyed marijuana couldn't drink. That's news to me. A night off from my family for the first time in 6 months? Yeah, I enjoyed myself. I'm going to end this here before I confuse you any more.