Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Washington Marijuana legal!! What does it mean??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JBright, Nov 8, 2012.

1. So I was reading around and notice you had to be 21 to buy the legalized weed from stores, but it is also illegal to drive while high. So if you smoked weed how will you know when its the proper time to drive? so that you arent considered intoxicated? (is there a limit like blood alcohol level, i havent found it) and how would one determine it with out any fancy machines to let one know that he can drive legally.

2. Hmm. Well there's no breathalyzer test for marijuana so I'm not sure. I'd like to know also.

3. I'm sure they will come up with some kind of sobriety test. I'm sure they'll check for red eyes, smell, and any other symptoms but how are they gonna prove that you smoked? It's gonna be interesting to see how it all turns out. Hopefully it all goes well so legalization will spread! All Colorado and Washington residents need to set a good example for the rest of the country! It's a very exciting time for us smokers

4. It's blood tests, and the limit is 5 nanograms per milliliter of blood of active THC, meaning you smoked recently and you are "impaired" per say.

5. Sobriety tests won't change, they'll still check to see if you can walk a straight line, count to 10, and all of that good bullshit. :p

6. I don't think there is a way to test if someone is actively high. Besides like red eyes and classic symptoms. I'm talking about breathalyzers types things.

7. They send your blood to a testing facility. :(

8. [quote name='"Yosh139"']

They send your blood to a testing facility. :([/quote]

They probably wouldn't take blood unless you failed the field sobriety test first. I imagine blood tests aren't that cheap.

9. No, they aren't, but it's paid for by the state, and probably somehow will come out of your pocket along the lines. :p

And of course they won't take your blood unless you fail the sobriety test, they can't take the blood of everyone they pull over :p

10. Yeah but they can't tell exactly when you smoked only that it was in your system.

11. #11 GanjaFarmer06, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    The state will not be hurting for money with the tax on marijuana and less funds going towards the "war on drugs"

here is some brief info from high times. Like the liquor board will control marijuana in Washington and Colorado is going to allow a person to grow 6 personal plants

http://hightimes.com/legal/mike_hughes/8008

12. for driving they will probably use saliva tests, they are very short term however can be easily fooled

13. SO MUCH MISINFORMATION IN THIS POST.

If you are driving, and you are suspected of being high, you are required to take a blood test. If the blood test comes back and says you have over 5 nanograms of THC in your blood, you are given a DUI. 5 nanograms is shown to be in your blood well over 24 hours after you smoke. So if you smoke at 3pm, go to sleep at 10pm, wake up and go to work at 7am and get pulled over, you can technically be given a DUI.

This is subject to much controversy and people are fighting to change the made up 5 ng made up number that this bill has came up with.

14. Question.. what about jobs that test for marijuana.. how will that go...

15. And if you seriously think everyone they pull over and suspect of being high they are going to administer a blood test too.. I think not.. plus only a certified nurse or doctor will be sticking me with anything.. possibly hundreds of blood tests per day across two states... I think not..

16. Depends on the company and job, really. A private company can just about do whatever they want in regards to drugs and employment.

Maybe some specific government jobs will test for marijuana, but I don't think it would be a requirement anymore for menial jobs (this is just speculation).

17. its funny because people who are high tend to drive safer, no? lucky though OP. My buddies drive high all the time and its never a problem in Toronto.

18. Maybe they'll use the lick test things that they have been using for years already..

19. probably saliva tests to see if you have smoked recently

20. I just read some articles about this. Here's a good source for info.

Basically, if pulled over and they suspect you're over the limit, you'd take a field sobriety test just like you would for drinking. Walk a line, touch your nose, etc. If you fail, then they'll do a blood test. The legal limit was already defined when the bill passed. I don't remember the exact amount, but it's measured in ug/ml in the blood (micrograms/milliliter) if I remember correctly.

As for employers, it's going to be a sticky subject for a while. Any federal employers will still be required to have a no tolerance policy. As for local or state employers, it will be up to each company to decide how they want to handle it. Police officers still won't be allowed to smoke weed as they're required to uphold state and federal law.