Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Was told AJOM wrote an article attributing cannabis use to brain cancer...any truth?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by bi0x, May 28, 2011.

1. So I was having a casual conversation with a co-worker today who claimed that "there have been studies linking 'marijuana' use to brain cancer" - at which point I chuckled, and asked him where he had read this.

His response was the American Journal of Medicine, which I believe he at least tries to keep up to date with, since he's in the medical field.

Any other time, I would simply chalk this up to bullshit propaganda, but when he mentioned the AJOM, I had to research it. Clearly, this cannot be true, as the only studies I've seen have linked cannabis use w/ the suppression of cancerous cells & tumors in mice.

Has anyone heard of this? Is this true, and if so, can anyone link me to the article?

2. It's pure bullshit propaganda...

AJOM has no idea where the anti-pot sheeple squad came up with that crap...it wasn't from anything they wrote, reported, researched, even commented on...

Using multiple search engines, all I could find were anti-pot groups claiming that the AJOM researched and wrote the report...so lets see what we have..

1. AJOM is quoted by anti-pot groups, saying pot causes cancers
    2. AJOM has no clue what those groups are talking about, because it never researched or reported any such thing
    3. AJOM has research showing pot inhibits and reduces cancer cells and related growth of cancers.

Conclusion: propaganda and lies, AGAIN.:rolleyes:

3. Thank you! This is exactly what I need, as I suspect the "article" she's referring to is non-existant, but rather word of mouth.

If that's really the case, then articles refuting that are exactly what I need. Going to email her whatever I can find. If she's interested in what negative effects cannabis use has, then clearly, she'd be interested in articles stating the opposite...

...right? :p

People disappoint me sometimes :(

4. Thank you for confirming what I believed to be true :)

As a follower of science, I have no qualms about admitting fault when I am wrong, but I wanted to be sure before I lashed back at this person without 100% knowledge of her claims.

Any chance you know where I could find the article to the AJOM's research on cannabis inhibiting cancerous growth? That'd be a nice cherry on top...I've already got links from WebMD & The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

5. Granny's List has a ton of good links about cannabis's beneficial effect on tumors. I couldn't find anything about brain cancer specifically though.

6. I have access to this journal subscription. I HAVE NOT found any article that even addresses this in the AJOM. As far as I can tell this paper does not exist.

If anything, there are numerous peer reviewed journal articles supporting the anti-cancer properties of cannabinoids (I just searched pubmed). Either by reduction of VEG-F to vessels supporting tumors, T- cell mediated phagocytosis, or by initiating apoptosis in cancer cells. Granny Storm Crow's MMJ links at the top of the MMJ Forum are great. There is a whole section on cancer.

What I have realized is that people love to talk out of their a$$es. Next time ask her to cite this mysterious article. This is when I pull out my iphone and the bookmarked pubmed page and search away. Generally I can clear this up in 30 sec. Pubmed is a great search engine for peer reviewed scientific articles. Generally you only have access to the abstracts (summary of the study without all the minutia) and should be adequate to make your point. I know that sounds like I am being an a$$ by doing this. Honestly, the only way to fight the anti-cannabis propaganda is with science. If they want to create an article from their imagination the only thing we can do is show the proof. I think people bank on the fact that they won't be called on their BS. I say BRING IT! :D

7. #8 cball, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
    An important note...smoking ANYTHING will damage your lungs...and I advise using a vaporizer edibles as an alternative (but if you have to, a few tokes will NOT cause your chest to explode with cancer)

AJOM wants an account (and/or money) for the actual paper, but here are some other links. (no idea why medical information is being restricted...it used to be fully disclosed...:mad:)

Pot doesn't make you stupid, hole riddled studies do;
    Harvard Gazette: Study: Intelligence, cognition unaffected by heavy marijuana use :bongin:

This gives people insight on how studies can be full of fallacies and that real studies are still needed. (and mention of mj's benefits)
    Self-reported medical use of marijuana: a survey of the general population -- Ogborne et al. 162 (12): 1685 -- Canadian Medical Association Journal :smoking:

Nice article on observed benefits and need for real studies
    Therapeutic aspects of cannabis and cannabinoids -- ROBSON 178 (2): 107 -- The British Journal of Psychiatry :smoke:

Mentions medical use
    Clinical Uses of Marijuana :D

Now hold onto your brains, mouse and keyboards...
    ...as the flood gates of knowledge will be opened by checking on Storm Crows massive list of links by clicking here :gc_rocks:

Here is a nice timeline of the war on MJ...summed up, bigots, racist, greedy corps and prohibitionist have lied since the turn of the century in 1900 AD.
    Marijuana Timeline | Busted - America's War On Marijuana | FRONTLINE | PBS :mad::cry::poke::bolt::eek::(

One note; True studies are needed, but recorded history mentions MJ for over 10k years, and its usage as a medicinal herb...yet, no documented reports of it killing, being the cause of a death, ever...but big pharm corps can squeeze out a new chemical from its fat-cat ass, that has kidney failure, liver damage, brain damage, heart attacks, erectile dysfunction, explosive diarrhea, projectile vomiting, blindness, skin falling off, hair falling out, even DEATH as side effects, and FDA approves it after it's head honchos receive some gifts/job offers/'educational seminar trips to Hawaii' from the corp needing the approval...
    :mad::mad::mad:

8. #9 Storm Crow, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
    GC has the July 2010 version of my List- My home version of my List has more on brain cancers- I'm just throwing in everything from 2010 - 2011-

Cannabidiol Enhances the Inhibitory Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Human Glioblastoma Cell Proliferation and Survival (full - 2010)
    http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/Brain_Cancer_Study.pdf

The expression level of CB1 and CB2 receptors determines their efficacy at inducing apoptosis in astrocytomas. (full - 2010)
    The Expression Level of CB1 and CB2 Receptors Determines Their Efficacy at Inducing Apoptosis in Astrocytomas

Opposite changes in cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 receptor expression in human gliomas. (abst – 2010)
    Opposite changes in cannabinoid CB1 and CB2 recept... [Neurochem Int. 2010 May-Jun] - PubMed result

Cannabinoids inhibit glioma cell invasion in brain cancer studies (news - 2010)
    http://www.examiner.com/x-19678-Cannabis-Revolution-Examiner~y2010m3d11-Cannabinoids-inhibit-glioma-cell-invasion-in-brain-cancer-studies

Cannabis Rx: Cutting Through the Misinformation : Dr. Andrew Weil (news - 2010)
    Dr. Andrew Weil: Cannabis Rx: Cutting Through the Misinformation

Cannabis Inhalation Associated With Spontaneous Tumor Regression (news - 2010) (They sent these girls home to die- and they didn't! :smoke: :smoke: )
    Cannabis Inhalation Associated With Spontaneous Tumor Regression, Study Says | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform

Spontaneous regression of septum pellucidum/forniceal pilocytic astrocytomas-possible role of Cannabis inhalation. (abst – 2011)
    Spontaneous regression of septum pellucidum/fornic... [Childs Nerv Syst. 2011] - PubMed result

A combined preclinical therapy of cannabinoids and temozolomide against glioma. (abst – 2011)
    A combined preclinical therapy of cannabinoids and... [Mol Cancer Ther. 2011] - PubMed result

Stimulation of the midkine/ALK axis renders glioma cells resistant to cannabinoid antitumoral action. (abst – 2011) Stimulation of the midkine/ALK axis renders glioma... [Cell Death Differ. 2011] - PubMed result

Marijuana Compound Induces Cell Death In Hard-To-Treat Brain Cancer
    (news – 2011)
    Marijuana Compound Induces Cell Death In Hard-To-Treat Brain Cancer - NORML

"Apoptosis" means the normally programed death of a cell. Hope that helps! Keep on educating! :yay:

Granny :wave:

9. People seem so determined to find anything something wrong with smoking weed.....but they just can't justify it so they use fear mongering scare tactics.

People are getting smarter, that shit wont fly with this generation (hopefully)

10. BA142, "that shit wont fly with this generation"

It won't fly with ANY generation if we get the medical facts out about cannabis!

Educate yourself, then others!