Was Jesus Suicidal?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Deleted member 466836, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Anyone ever think of this?

He knew if he did XYZ he would die.

Doing XYZ saved others.

Is knowingly dying to help someone suicidal?

2. Not sure. Definitely sure he would be considered a cult leader if he did that shit now and days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aren’t all religions cults per se?

And what if your everyday Joe did it? Let say to save his family. He’d be a suicidal lunatic.

• Like Like x 1
  4. If it was an act of sacrifice for others then it would be called Love or heroic.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I feel like religion is the main thing holding back scientific research and expansion.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. So if I take allow my life to be taken in order that my family will have a “better” life, you think that’s love or heroic? Not disagreeing btw.

7. Maybe it’s the other way around?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Not just to better their life. It has to be kind of an if or situational sacrifice.
    4 people, 3 parachutes.
    Suicide for insurance enrichment? Foul, one may think they are bettering the family but perhaps the family would have had a better value with that person still around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sacrificial

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Without looking up dictionary definitions:
    I think, most commonly, suicide is the deliberate taking of ones own life for personal reason(s).
    Not to be confused with with the catch phrase 'suicide mission' where someone might volunteer to place his life in danger in a sacrificial way, with the knowledge/expectation that death awaits him. Pushing someone else from in front of a train, placing your own life in jeopardy to save another. Sacrifice is unselfish. Suicide is self centered, the way I see it.
    Jesus did not take his own life, He sacrificed it for the benefit of others and not by His own hand.
    I think "cult" might describe any movement with a following.
    Being Christian myself, I often hear the word used to refer to a belief that removes Deity from Christ. But I suppose that's more church language than anything else. Personally, I'd lean more towards the "ANY movement with a following" definition.

My nickels worth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. I’m a Christian and I totally get what you guys are saying.

Just weird dinner table conversation about a news story.

That being said, I was put in the nuthouse, oh excuse me, behavioral center because apparently I’m passively suicidal because I truly, honestly have absolutely no problem with not waking up in the morning.

Trust me I have a good shrink and 2 different therapist so I’m not going to do anything. I just said the wrong thing.

I still tell them this and I’m sorry but they can’t dissuade me from my belief. I know what waits for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jesus was a phoney :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. But He loves you anyway...

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Guy's been dead for 2000+ years, I don't think he can love anyone anymore as a fossil...at this point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. The Aztecs would have cut his heart out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Liking Jesus is out of fashion now, it's all about Mohammed now. Get with the trend man. You get 72 virgins in heaven, that beats 0 virgins, am I right?

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Now that's metal as fuck.

18. Ahh Namaste, nope nope... peace, nope nope, ahhh may the force be with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. #19 ICGreen, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    That was a Koran typo, it's actual 72 Virginians (with ax handles).

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. No it is human arrogance

• Agree Agree x 1