Was I justified in taking some of my dads bud?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Louis438, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Okay so awhile back, I realized my dad smokes. He toked up in the basement alot and I caught him down there one time (our basement isnt finished so there's shit everywhere, I couldnt actually see him) & he walked past me with his fist balled up reaking of weed. So I was 100% sure of what he was just doing.

I snooped around a bit in the back of the basement where he left from & found an ash tray full of old stems & seeds, so I started looking around more and looked in this file cabinent and found his shit. a stone pipe, a metal one, a pack of papers and about a quarter of dank.

So I was dry, took about a half gram & rolled a doob. This was my first time smoking a joint indoors so I didnt realize how much it would smell.. I'm chilling in my room 30 mins later and my dad wakes up & asks what that smell was & shit pretty much hit the fan there.

But the thing is, I got my wisdom teeth pulled and 4 other teeth pulled at the same time awhile before this happened, and I got prescribed Oxycodone. I noticed they were coming up missing when I needed them & I found out my dad was stealing them. He stole about half the bottle (got prescribed 30). I thought about this the day after I got caught and I kinda want to bring it up so I dont seem like the total bad guy. What do you guys think about the situation?

2. It seems like you should talk to your father about the missing prescription.

3. ^ have a talk instead of keep stealing from each other and point the finger at each other. have a grown man talk.

4. Yeah you should just talk to him about it. Unless he's opposed to you smoking or something, you shouldn't have a problem. Offer to give him a couple dollars for the bud you took, or to smoke him out/give him bud next time you have some.

5. he found out u smoked? or found out u took from his stash?

6. both, sucks he had to found out this way but it is what it is I guess. & he caught me back in december... but I had a close call a couple days ago which had me thinking about this situation again (I dont take his bud anymore)

7. why the fuck would he steal your oxycodone lol

8. Bring it up to him. He stole your pain meds for your PAIN. You took .5 of pot that he DOESN'T need.

9. Clearly your father enjoys the gentle herb, as his collection of paraphernalia attests, but stealing from him was not right.

To your father that just isn't going to fly. He won't look at this as 'even pay-back' for stealing your medication. Being a parent can screw-up some people's way of thinking. In his mind it may have been acceptable to take some of your medication, because you are his child. (Self-justified possession mindset: whats yours is his after all he has given you, including life. However, for you to steal from him is outrageous.)

The fact is, stealing is wrong and two wrongs don't make a right. So IMO, no, you cannot ‘justify' the theft.

What you can do is try to mend the situation, while at the same time opening the lines of communication with your father on these two issues.

Tell him that you felt hurt when you noticed pills missing. Tell him that had he'd asked you for a couple, you'd have gladly shared. Let him know that you enjoy marijuana too, and since you don't have any, you wanted to share his but didn't feel it was acceptable to ask. So you did what he had done: you stole.

Look him in the eye when you say it. Be the man he wasn't. He will respect you for it, though he may not say it for many years (if ever).

Let him know that you've thought about it, and you realize how wrong that action was. Stealing is wrong.

Tell him that you won't do it every again (and don't!), and that if he would ever like to share what you have in the future, all he has to do is ask.

Leave it at that. No need to push it. Don't demand answers, simply ask for a moment to speak your peace. If he wants to continue talking, let him. Listen. If he does not, go in peace – a little bit more of a man than when you sat down.

Later on, a day or so, when you feel the time is right, ask him if he'd like to have more freedom to enjoy himself. It seems silly to be sneaking around when you both know you have an enjoyment of it.

Then offer a helpful tip about how badly smoking indoors smells, and suggest he invest in a vaporizer. Show him some online. Turn this negative into a positive. Pick out a vaporizer together. Offer to go halves on one of the better models.

This isn't an impossible situation. This is a challenge. Challenges can be overcome.

It may work out that your father does not want to smoke with you. That's fine. You need to respect him. The larger picture of this is not to smoke with your father, it is to get him to see you as a man who is deserving of respect.

Peace.

PS: A father stealing his child's needed pain medication, and so much of it, may be indicative of a deeper issue. I would also suggest you keep aware of him and his habits. No need to spy on the guy, but if he starts exhibiting atypical (for him) and degrading behaviour, then he may need you to be there for him more than ever. I hope that will not prove to be the case.

10. idk why but the whole situation seems funny to me.

11. Until we're informed he's a closet-junkie pill addict.

The whole "father and son both smoke but haven't mutually acknowledged their shared interest" aspect is a bit comical though.

I can only hope this works out. I'd go with GaiaGuy's advice.

12. You should get your dad some dank and keep him away from pills

13. Why can't you guys roll one up and talk about this? I would love to find my parents smoking!

14. For taking your man-made meds, you deserve at least an 8th of dank.

15. No.

first, no matter how you spin it, you do not need 30 oxycodone for a wisdom teeth extraction. Irresponsible of your doctor to give you so many. 15 Is plenty enough, regardless of whether or not your dad took them or of you had dropped them down the drain or something.

Second, who paid for the medication? I assume, since you still live with him, it was your dad. Either through his health insurance or whatever, if you're the one paying out of pocket for prescription meds then you are making enough money to save up and move out. Inversely, if you have a job and have your own medical coverage plan, you probably make enough to move out.

Third, you live in his house. He reserves the right to treat you how he wants. When I or my brothers were living at home (or living there rent and board free for the summer) if we got a painkiller prescription she would fill it and take it from us. Including the vicodin my brother got for his wisdom teeth and the norcos I got for my root canals. She wouldn't allow us to keep them ourselves even though the script was in our name. It sucks and you'll feel like a child but that's life when you live with your parents.

Don't steal or snoop around on your dad.

16. Talk to your dad about how you know he smokes who knows you might end up smoking on occasions together,on another note don't take whats not yours its not right just feel that if you got a quarter of dank and because your dad finds you smoking he is untitled to take a half gram or how ever much he decides is appropriate.

17. Just tell him, "I think I'm missing some Oxycodone, dad...I don't think they filled the whole prescription." -_- "What should I do dad?"...."Should we take it back and git it refilled or something?..." Play it kool though...see what he says...

maybe later say you were thinking about it..."dude you weren't taken my pills are you dad...I mean i would be cool with it..."

but don't do that with a kool dad...i mean I wouldn't play that sort of game with mine...he's cool.....