Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Was I illegally searched?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by NeverMistakeMe, Dec 29, 2012.

1. So I'll explain the situation. I was walking from school to the store on a busy road, my friend got off the bus and he started walking up to his house with me. I was also about to meet up with a friend for some bud. My friend took his turn and I kept walking.
    All the sudden a police car turned in front of me into a drive way and told me to come over to him and put out my cigarette. I did and he asked me what I was doing, I told him I was going to the store. He said I looked like a suspect, that was his answer when asking him why I was being pulled over. He called over a detective and while he was on his way he turned me over on his car and searched me and I told him I didn't want to be searched. He then brought me to the other side of the car, I think he was about to put me in the back before I said 'am I being detained?' he said yes and brought me to the front of the car.
    The detective showed up, looked at me, looked at the officer and said did you search him for weapons? And he said yeah and then he told me I could keep walking and if I had any questions. I said not really, but you kind of just stopped and searched me for no reason.
    He then yelled at me and told me I know nothing about the law, he put a lot of emphasis on 'WE ARE JUST SEARCHING FOR WEAPONS', then the cop said why are your jeans so tight at the bottom and rolled, do you have dime bags in there? The cop also said 'you're gonna be a man about it right, and not tell your mom and dad about this?' I said idk and he flipped out on me. I then just left....

2. Lol what the fuck. How do some of these people even gets jobs in law enforcement. As to your question, I don't know. Sounds pretty retarded to me.

3. Im not really sure what your local laws are like but that last part sounds a little sketchy when the police man wanted you not to tell your parents. I mean there could have been a shooting nearby or something and I'd understand but the way you described the police's actions it sounds unlawful.

4. Sounds pretty bad to me. Idk the cops from my hometown are kinda like that too. They all just try to act like they have to authority to do whatever they want and basically trick people into thinking it's legal.

5. Sounds like a joke of a bloke

6. That is not a search. It's called a pat Down. Check terry v Ohio. They are legally allowed to search for weapons for officer safety. If they find drugs they are no are not used in court unless you were under arrest. He had a reasonable suspicion because he thought you looked like a suspect to another crime. What you should have done was say no when he asked you to come over. You have the right to walk away unless your are being detained which he could have done because he had reasonable suspicion. I am a law student about to graduate and that pat down is legal.

7. This. Pat downs are legal.

8. I would've demanded to get his badge number and told him to keep his greasy bacon hands off me.

9. Demanding for a badge number is never smart in a police encounter. No one demands for one unless they're planning on reporting the office. Pissing off the police when involved in a police encounter is pretty dumb.

Not to mention insulting them is even worse. You're just asking for it with that attitude.

When in a police encounter, be courteous, look them in the eye, and don't talk back. You're free to calmly alert them you don't consent to searches, and you don't have to answer any details you find unnecessary. But having an attitude, well you're going to have a miserable night doing that.

10. Sounds like those weren't actual cops. Extremely sketchy if you ask me.

11. should have said

"Dime bags? My smallest re up is a kilo officer"

12. [quote name='"DrSheldonCooper"']

Demanding for a badge number is never smart in a police encounter. No one demands for one unless they're planning on reporting the office. Pissing off the police when involved in a police encounter is pretty dumb.

Not to mention insulting them is even worse. You're just asking for it with that attitude.

When in a police encounter, be courteous, look them in the eye, and don't talk back. You're free to calmly alert them you don't consent to searches, and you don't have to answer any details you find unnecessary. But having an attitude, well you're going to have a miserable night doing that.[/quote]

Dr you forgot you are dealing with a lot of uneducated children here.

13. If I felt I was searched for no reason then I would have asked for his badge number as well. There is nothing wrong with complaining about the service of a public employee.

To live in fear of retaliation from a police officer is ridiculous. Those are exactly the cops that need to be reported.

14. Just everywhere. When people are confronted with authority, all reasoning seems to go down the drain.

Some people wonder why the police continuously hassle them in encounters. I don't wonder though, I know their attitude and lack of reasoning is their downfall.

15. They were real cops lol, it was a cop and then a detective came. Whole thing lasted about 15 minutes. I live in a very small town so everybody knows the cops and their names lol.

16. But I feel like reporting him would be pointless, I doubt anything would happen, besides; the DETECTIVE was in on it, who do I go to then?

17. report the officer. Stuff does happen when they receive enough. Really the only you can do. If he is a shitty cop, your report won't do him in, but someone's might.

18. Technically they had "reasonable suspicion" because they claimed you looked like a suspect. That is all they needed, and all they were allowed to pat you for was weapons.

They didn't reach into your pockets or any bags right?

19. I know very little of the law except how much a fix-it ticket costs. That's sounds so fucked though. Shoulda got his name and told your mommy.

(That last part was half sarcastic and half serious.)