Warning: Wall of text if you dont want to read dont open.

Discussion in 'General' started by caster12, Jul 22, 2011.

1. To begin I want to express the informality of the following literature. Although it seems only logical, based on the objective nature of this document, for it to be subject to a great deal of professionalism and formality, these aspects will be lowly prioritized due to their minuscule significance in the scope of things. The theme is so incredibly pervasive in, not just the “average human” as the media projects, but rather every person.
    \tAs children grow from infancy to their toddler years, and eventually to into their equally thrilling teenage years, our society has emphasized the importance of confidence in oneself in order to succeed and inevitably develop into a functional member of society. However, the further I analyze this, the more I realize that society has made self-confidence a rarity amongst the youth. As technology becomes more relevant in the daily lives of the youth, societal pressures pushing for perfection increase, creating seemingly endless struggle for the younger generation. Almost all teens have Facebook accounts, allowing them to broadcast their lives 24/7, creating an even more social experience, which may seem good. However, along with this added socialization comes more pressure to remain socially acceptable. Another pertinent example is when a teenage girl sees a model on the cover of a magazine, it is only natural for her to want to be more attractive. Whether she openly acknowledges it or not, it is quite obvious that beauty is highly regarded in modern society. In fact 78% of girls age 18 are not content with their bodies and even more surprisingly, 9% of 9 year olds have attempted to vomit in attempt to become thinner as stated by the Teen Eating Disorder Organization.
    \tI believe society is a paradox by nature. It has created unrealistic standards, leaving many teens feeling lost. I can personally say that I had employed a mentality of not caring too deeply of what anyone else though, aside from my family and close friends. However, as I drifted away from some of my close friends, I came to the realization, that despite the confidence that I do have, I was growing more and more insecure, and in fact did care what others thought of me. I can only speak for myself, but from other stories that have presented themselves to me, this doesn’t seem to be unusual.
    \tI did not write this in attempt to draw pity to myself. That was actually quite far from my intention actually. I openly admit my insecurity, as a thing of my past. I consider myself of a very limited maturity, which I attribute in large part to my age. However even in my state of immaturity I have realized the insignificance of others opinions. I can honestly say that I no longer am insecure in the slightest. I believe the one thing that helped me come to this seemingly obvious realization is simply, myself. I began to spend more time by myself, giving me more time think about who I am and how I feel. Thinking about how I feel has always been an area of difficulty for me. However, I feel it is easier to do so while I do something I enjoy. In my particular case, that activity happens to be skateboarding and listening to music at night ( I find it more relaxing at night).
    Thus far I have avoided discussion of weed in order to effectively communicate the aforementioned points. However, weed has played a pivotal role in my life. I used to be a significantly more social smoker. But lately I have enjoyed smoking alone far more. My main reason behind this is that what I enjoy so much about is my ability to think from an alternative perspective. I have always been intrigued by the concept of perspective. I find it amazing that everything is interpreted differently by each person, making us truly unique.
    I would like to consider myself a very capable person, however I lack motivation in nearly everything, ranging from religion (in my religion, mind altering substances are not allowed: aka weed, among other drugs I have no interest in) to school (I still have fairly good grades and got a 2200 on my SAT). As most anti-pot campaigns would do, I don’t attribute my laziness to my weed habits. In fact its quite the opposite. I am only motivated when I’m high. I feel bad for all the time I have wasted, and I feel the urge to try harder to reward my parents for all the hard work they put into raising me. I even feel more religious, making me feel bad for smoking weed, even though I know it is quite harmless.
    So basically when im high I wish I was sober and when im sober I seek that level of motivation, and in turn want to be high. When im high it’s not like I really hate it. I still love it. Its just sometimes I get confused about it. This is when I realized that much like society as I defined earlier (a paradox), my life is also a paradox.
    I KNOW THIS IS LONG. IF YOU DIDN’T READ DON’T TELL ME. JUST DON’T COMMENT. I REALLY DON’T CARE IF ANYONE READS THIS. I WROTE THIS BECAUSE IT HELPED MY THINK BY ALLOWING ME TO ARTICULATE MY THOUGHTS

does anyone have any thoughts on this? or further insight? i might be the only one that is intersted inthis stuff ahahhaha i guess ill find out

2. HOLY SHIT. This is exactly how I've been feeling for the past two months.

I'm a little mind blown right now.

3. yeah i figured i wasnt alone haha im just surprised you read all thathahaha

4. Eh, I like talking about things like this when I'm high lol

5. And this is why I never created a Facebook. Have you guys seen social network that shit is crazy when stoned you get all into it and stuff, ha.

6. Man i just tried stop thinking this way. honestly it only makes a person sick. knowing too much about the world can over whelm you and when you try to understand it perfectly the resault is it's not a very good picture. how to change the world for the better tends to make you more optimistic. if you try a little bit it makes a ripple effect to others and thats the power of being human. so if you want to change something come up with a simple thing u can do and go with it. the resault ussually is that you make changes you didnt even expect.

7. Leave self enlightenment for the philosophers; it is often the easiest way.

Life is there to be lived, not analysed.

Worrying how others percieve you as only succeeds in growing gray hair prematurely.

And yeah, I am as crap at following my own advice, as I am at giving it...

8. Ho! But ney! The analysation of life is what moves our species forward! When people don't try and find answers, and just accept things in the way they are presented to them, you get the dark ages. You get slavery. You get famines and all sorts of problems. Understanding and reasoning is why we do not live like chimpanzees and apes!

I actually would argue that now is the time for answers, that we are at a pivital point in our society, with things changing and old systems failing. As a society (so yes, everyone) we need to find a solution. How? It couldn't happen over night, so how do we all find some magical answer? We THINK. Eventually, the good ideas will spread. Question things. Strive to learn, and eventually, as a society, we will move FOWARD!

@OP yea that type of stuff I reallized a while ago.. very interesting when broken down into details. It's like technology, and business causes competition. Competition causes false confidence and personalities, and lies, in order to succeed. Those things cause a society where up is down and left is right. We don't even know what we're doing or who we are anymore, because it's so false. Really I'm hoping that will change soon.

9. but then arnt you in a way accepting the way things are by just sitting there hoping?

like i said, wheather you do something or do nothing change happens. its the law of karma. not the new age karma but the real definition of it. after looking at the op i can see someone cought up in circular reasoning. this is an instance whare hes just going to rationalize to him self things that have nothing to do with each other and its otherwise unhealthy because it creates stress within the guys head. honestly the best advice for him is to stop thinking that way and try to focus on what he can do for him/her self to make ripples, not speculation.

10. *I'm 22 and I'm as lost as ever. It's hard to not care what others think of you because what they think of you decides things like if they want to talk to you or in a job interview if they want to hire you.

I suppose the best approach is to only care when it involves people that are important to you. (Give everyone the benefit of the doubt of respect, until they prove otherwise) Everybody isn't going to like you even if you are virtuous and kind.

+Don't. :)

11. You will eventually fall into a comfortable level of caring how people perceive you. There's no one best level of this that's right for everyone. Some people care a lot, and it works for them. Some not much, and they're happy that way. It's different for everyone.

Why is it bad to care what people think of you to any degree? That's another thing that our society pushes on us; detachment and being aloof. The cool kids don't care what other people think of them, or so they claim. I'm of the opinion that no one cares nothing at all for how they are perceived by anyone. I think people that tell you they don't care at all are being dishonest.

Confidence comes from knowledge. It's possible to will yourself to appear confident without it, but it's a front.

12. Ney, but I indeed do something about it. I change my actions, based on my beliefs. I change my beliefs based on my thoughts. Thus, the world is changed by ideas, you see? I would agree, the OP is thinking circularly, but hopefully he will get out of that mindset and figure out what it all means to him. He still has unanswered questions, thus the circles.

Sure, I could not think about it, and live my life and have fun all the time, not worry, party, eventually die, and not give a fuck, but that does nothing but make things worse for the world. I want things to change, so I change the way I think, and it changes my actions, and that changes the world. One person is never enough to change the way things work for everyone else. We all have to make that decision, and implement it. Thus, we all have to change our thoughts. The best way for that to happen? Spread ideas, think, talk, communicate! Nothing is yet set in stone, which is why I hope, because I do not know, but changing things is as easy as think, realize, communicate ;)

13. your right partying all the time isnt good either man. i just find its better to take what you can with a grain of salt and give yourself the structure to know whats right for people. when you find that balance you can make a stronger impact in people. thats the most powerful change for society, because then you become a model for the people around you.

14. Much as you might not like to think so; we are all condemned to one form of slavery or another, be it to the kids and missus, the money or whatever it is that holds ones attention.

I just choose not to bother wasting whatever is left of my life on rhetorical questions, and attempting to answer the inanswerable...

We are never going to solve the human condition that causes corruption, war and love of materialism, so why bother trying?

And, yes, when I come out of my grumpy-man mood i'll probably read this and think what a cynical whotsit i'm being; don't take me too seriously.

15. Ey, I agree with you to an extent... but I just don't like to think of the result. If what you say is true, humans are doomed to misery, suffering, and eventual extinction. It just seems like if everyone realized how shit really works, and we really worked at it together as a society, things could change, and for the better. But there is the problem, will society as a whole ever strive for the same goals and work together? Or are we just going to compete for the same resources until we are driven apart completely and life just becomes kill or be killed? It just seems like, in nature, animals of the same species work together. I don't see that in humans anymore, not like it should be at any rate, and its destressing. I don't know what is going to happen.

16. I think if we want to avoid becoming slaves to society then we should just moved to the woods and become hermits. live off nature shut out every one we know and wallow in our own misery. honestly that's the only conclusion that can be ascertained when you worry so much about changing the world. if you want the worlds problems on your shoulders then do everything jesus and buddah did.

17. You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't let that stuff get me down, but shit if everyone takes your point of view, the world would be terrible. It's not jesus or buddah's responsibility to change things, it's societies as a whole. So until everyone at least worries a bit about it, I have to worry a lot. Doesn't bother me, shouldn't bother you either

18. what do you think we can do to change society then?

19. think positive. think. learn. work together. those are some first steps. we need to develope ourselves into a better functioning society. so changing that is all about the way we interact with eachother. humans put too much importance on money and objects instead of eachother. that needs to change before we can move forward.

20. Whilst I commend ismokecannabis' positive outlook on change, and how things ought to be; ideals and reality are not one and the same thing, as the Communists found out (it would have been nice to have seen Marx and Engels reaction to the modern world application of their theories, and no, I am not comparing your views with communism either)

If people do reach the point of changing fundamentally their views on how we should act and behave towards one another, it would only arrive through some form of catastrophic event ie, world nuclear war, global internet/computer failure, alien invasion or something akin to this...

It is not going to happen just through one or two or even a million discontented people...we are fundamentally selfish creatures, and it is the competition for those finite resources that ismokecannabis mentioned, or for monetary gain, that pushes our race forward, with the scientific discoveries that come along with it, not generally for the want for a better humanity. Most medical breakthroughs only come from pharmaceutical companies wanting to make bigger profits, or from an army trying to keep its soldiers alive in order to maintain governmental control over said finite resources...

Sad but true.