Warning! Lots of questions! *Newb here*

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Spudder, Jul 19, 2007.

1. So, lets get started! Lol have a little space in the corner of this room, my estimate is around 10 foot by 12 but that is the area in which i can grow in. I plan on buying some seeds from dr. chronic. Here comes the first question. I have heard wonderful things about Nirvana's "AK48", "White Rhino", "Misty", and "Papaya". Which strain do you think I should start out with? I was thinking more towards the Misty, Papaya, or White Rhino but they all look so good! I have been reading about hydroponics and soil growing and i believe i'm going to go with the soil. Mainly because growing Hydroponically seems like it would cost a great deal more. I was thinking about using the 430 watt lighting system seen here: http://www.insidesun.com/index.php?action=item&id=41&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0
    Yet for a few dollars more I could get the 1,000 Watt one seen here:
    http://www.insidesun.com/index.php?action=item&id=75&prevaction=category&previd=2&prevstart=0
    How much more would the electricity bill per month be on the 1,000 watt compared to the 430? Also, the room is pretty open do you think i will need a type of "curtain" to surround my plants to reflect the light? I plan on putting occilating fans in to strengthen the stems, but do you think I will need more then that? The room has a feed from the outside for combustion air intake for the furnaces and water heaters. Is there anyway I could impliment growing tomatoes along with my marijuana plants? I have heard that they are damn near identical on growing... Also, I have read a TON on ferts and nutrients, but I still don't understand. The more i read, the more confused I get! One minute people are telling me, in the vegetative state use 20-20-20 ferts every other water then switch to 5-50-17 or 10-20-10 ferts for flowering... The next People are telling me to use Bat guano and worm castings to make a "tea" for the plants every time you water! I am really confused. I do believe i have the soil mixture down though, tell me if it's right though! 2 parts peat based soil, 1 part worm casting, 1 part perlite, 1 part vermiculite, and 1 cup of dolomite lime for every 5 gallons of soil mixture. Is that correct?
    I am really sorry for the huge post but I will LOVE anyone who answers this GIGANTIC post!:love::gc_rocks:
    Thanks!
    -Spud

Attached Files:

2. That light looks good. Inside sun is pretty good. Check with Mike to make sure that he does indeed have all the parts in stock before buying.

Consider getting an MH HPS switchable ballast. If I had it to do all over again I would get that. Or you can just get an MH conversion bulb for that hps ballast.

I love both AK-48 and White Rhino. Both smoke real nice.

A 1000 watt light will use 2.5 times as much energy as a 430 and generate twice as much heat. How much light you need really depends on how many plants you plan to grow. The 430 will do 4-6 plants in 1-3 gallon pots. Bigger than three gallon pots and 6 will be hard pressed.

If no other lights will be on in the room then a curtain is not necessary. If lights will be on in the room when plants lights are off, especially during flower, you will need a light proof curtain. Plants must be 100 percent dark during their night time, while in flower.

You will need at least one oscillating fan

20-20-20 ferts can be used all the way through however, generally weed does best if while in veg it gets a higher first number, the N and while in flower it gets food highest in p the second number. I would just get some water soluble ferts to start, then after you have more experience you can start making your own nutes. Organic fertilizers can also sometimes be mixed with water.

You can grow tomatoes with the weed but, just make sure you follow the one plant per pot rule; no mixing tomatoes with weed or multiple weeds in one pot.

Your soil mixture sounds fine; just go easy on worm castings if seedlings will be planted in it. Seedlings need no food [castings, guano etc.] for at least 3 weeks of life.

3. why is this? i considered growing 2 plants in my DWC set up.. does this only hold true for soil (due to lack of root room) ?

4. Yes, you only want one per pot in soil otherwise they compete for water and nutes and struggle. Two plants per DWC might be OK as long as they are the same strain. Different strains should be grown in different systems. Sometimes even plants grown in hydro that are the same strain can struggle because ever plant needs different requirements. Unless they are genetically identical ie. clones they should probably be in different hydro systems.