War on Drugs - still not working

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Limecat, Mar 5, 2011.

1. At least some are starting to come to their senses, albeit for the wrong reasons - financial of course:

States Rethink Drug Laws - WSJ.com

I wrote a blog recently on the Top 5 reasons to know the name Ron Paul, #5 was the war on drugs. Here is what I said:

#5, The War On Drugs
    Dr. Paul is in favor of ending the Federal Government's "War on Drugs." It has cost taxpayers over $1,000,000,000,000 and thousands of lives while doing nothing to combat the problem. That seems to be the status quo in Washington: spend money we don't have to expand the Federal Government, creating more bureaucracy, all while eroding liberty and freedom of the average American.

Dr. Paul is quoted on this subject as saying, "I think we should look at the federal drug war and I would say the federal drug war has failed, so we should reject it. When I talk about changing the law, I want to go back to the constitutional approach to a problem like this, and that is through the states. Up until 1937 there wasn't even a law against marijuana and at that time they just passed a law to tax it. So we've had an experience in this country where we didn't have all these laws, but it was regulated by the states. Alcohol is legalized by the federal government but it is regulated by state laws. So I'm thinking more of an approach like that."