War czar: Consider a draft

Discussion in 'General' started by high as hell, Aug 11, 2007.

1. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/10/war.adviser.draft.ap/index.html'

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

"I think it makes sense to certainly consider it," Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

"And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another," said Lute, who is sometimes referred to as the "Iraq war czar." It was his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.

President Nixon abolished the draft in 1973. Restoring it, Lute said, would be a "major policy shift" and Bush has made it clear that he doesn't think it's necessary.

"The president's position is that the all-volunteer military meets the needs of the country and there is no discussion of a draft. Gen. Lute made that point as well," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

In the interview, Lute also said that "Today, the current means of the all-volunteer force is serving us exceptionally well."

Still, he said the repeated deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan affect not only the troops but their families, who can influence whether a service member decides to stay in the military.

"There's both a personal dimension of this, where this kind of stress plays out across dinner tables and in living room conversations within these families," he said. "And ultimately, the health of the all-volunteer force is going to rest on those sorts of personal family decisions."

The military conducted a draft during the Civil War and both world wars and between 1948 and 1973. The Selective Service System, re-established in 1980, maintains a registry of 18-year-old men.

Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, has called for reinstating the draft as a way to end the Iraq war.

Bush picked Lute in mid-May as a deputy national security adviser with responsibility for ensuring efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan are coordinated with policymakers in Washington. Lute, an active-duty general, was chosen after several retired generals turned down the job.

2. [​IMG]
    Move.

:hello:eric:hello:

3. Canada's an illusion. The Union is formed.

The Draft will not happen... at least not for the current Wars, and probably not without another terrorist attack. There is just not enough public support for it yet. I bet this announcement is just the first step in introducing the idea that a draft is necessary into the public psyche.

4. This would change so many things on so many levels. Anythings possible.

5. Canada is an illusion? What do you mean, man?

6. [quote name='xericx'][​IMG]

Thank god I live in Maine, if the draft is reinstated I would be there in a heart beat lol

7. Canada welcomes everyone! :D

8. I'm scared of the draft...

I dont know what i'd do.

I filled out the paper work after some hesitation when it happened, But i did my thang so theres a chance that.... Yeah anyways...

If it happens, Im not down to go fight a war in some random ass country.

Im huge against the war.

I feel we have a war in the streets in nearly every damn state in the united states. Detroit, Rouge, Ecorse, Taylor among other citys jus in michigan with gangs and different gangs killing each other.

I feel we should be taclking our own problems before invading odd countrys with minimal threat.

Once a dude i seen in a coney island joint dissin on a white boy who rolled up in from new york said 'We got missles in the hood'.

Dudes not lying.

We need to solve our own first and foremost.

9. KSR, I agree with you completely. Sadly, I do not think the Government believes it will find much oil under Detroit :p. That is why I like Ron Paul, he sounds like the kind of president who would focus on what actually matters, which is the country and not odd foreign policy. I seriously wish someone like Ron Paul was running in Canada.

10. I think he's talking about the north american union

11. Well, you might be able to dodge the next daft (if there is one,) by moving to Canada although I would imagine that at this point in time the Canadian Police would detain and send you back to an American prison.

But if anyone thinks moving to Canada is going to allow them to escape American Imperialism and law, they are sadly disillusioned and soon to be in for a rude awakening. Canada and it's resources will soon all be under the rule of the IMF and World Bank. Start saving up your Ameros.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=14965

12. why,? why does the u.s. have to stick it's nose, in the worlds business ?

the chinnese are proably laughing thier ass off right now,,,,

as bad as i say this,,,, the super power, of the u.s. needs a good ass whippin

the central gov. needs to be abolished,,, and let each state govern it-self,

fuck this stupid shit,,, of being a superpower,,, we need to be a separationalist country,

and grow weed legally,,, fuck the rules,,, it's HAMMER TIME''

13. That is a possibility... Though, remember one fact about Canada if you remember one fact at all. The further North you go, the more freedom you have. :)

Yeah, there are some big problems in Canada. But, I think the Canadian people are more likely to get really fucking pissed off and take matters into their own hands. I cannot state that as fact, but hell, a country that settles a civil war with a bar fight, should never be underestimated! :p

14. Let me start off by saying that I am 100% against the war and I absolutely despise Bush and his co neo-cons.

But, I think we should reinstate the draft. Why? Because not enough people in the country fucking pay attention to the world. And by the world, I mean the rest of the world, the US foreign policy and its effects on other countries in the world. Some people think that 9/11 came out of nowhere (and I'm not calling all Americans ignorant) from terrorists that "hate freedom". Our policies do directly effect many other people in the world, and there is a large chunk of the country that seems to feel that America is some sort of bubble. Think there is a large anti-war sentiment right now? If all healthy 18-20something males faced the prospect of going to war right now there would suddenly be thousands of people protesting. A draft would force people (that aren't right now) to pay attention.

15. Yes, a draft would probably cause that... Unless the US is hit with another 9/11 of course. ;)

16. Sorry. But this is going to happen... it's happening. The time for getting pissed off has long passed. Not that it would have affected anything anyway.

This world will be ripe for revolution after the wars in the Middle East. Once the World Bank becomes the only bank, true liberty and advancement in sciences will be made. The internet will give too much knowledge to too many people for us to continue this central banking oppression, so the revolution will happen... by the gun or pen, it will happen. But not until they unite us all.

The divide and conquer strategy has only one flaw. It's perfect. You must then give your people liberty or they will revolt.

17. Depends... You can make it so people will never cry for liberty, and the way to do that, is through constant fear.

18. Without religion and war, what will we fear?

19. im not sayin how the new draft bill will be (if there is one) but a few years ago a bill was proposed to reinstate the draft. It obviously failed miserably, but it made a few changes. First it made sure canada was not an option by making some deal with canada so they wouldn't except anyone hiding from the draft. Also woman were also going to be drafted. (yea, equal rights) And any consienceous objectors wouldn't have to fight, but would be forced to go overseas and be a cook, or something like that which doesn't techniquely involve fighting. Also since nowadays a lot more people go to college than back during the 70s, they weren't ganna let college be an excuse.

But hey if a draft does get reinstated, I wont be going over to some other country and waiting for some Iraqi with a machine gun to kill me; Ill be going to washington to make my last stand there killin a few of the people who voted yes on the new draft bill

20. Luckily I have duel citizenship parce que je suis demi-francais. If a draft did arise, which is a definate possibility, I would simply renounce my US citizenship and become a full French citizen. That means I can live anywhere in the European Union. Next stop- Amsterdam.