Wanting to do more

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by ringleader2012, Nov 12, 2012.

1. I live in the state of Tennessee and after seeing Colorado and Washington decriminalize marijuana its made me want to help in the decriminalization of marijuana for my state.

Being a fresh out of high school 18 year old male I find myself wondering "Whats next?", "Whats important to me?", and "What can I do?".

As of right now I'm doing as much research as I can trying to learn up on as much law for my state as I can and what necessary actions I would have to take for my state to become 1 step closer to decriminalization of marijuana.

What can I do as a normal citizen? What information should I read up on? What are the next necessary steps?

I would appreciate anyone that gives me some information on where to start.

I read http://forum.grasscity.com/legalization-activism/531824-bills-initiatives-referendums-oh-my.html and figured maybe the best thing to do is write out a bill and go door to door for signatures?

Give me some feedback on what you think.

2. First thing, you want legalization, not decriminalization. Decriminalization just means it's not a criminal offense, you can still be fined and put into rehab if caught. Legalization is basically the same as alcohol and tobacco currently, with little tweaks and twists since it's a new market.

You're on the right track, read everything. Not just the pro-marijuana stuff, read all the contrary evidence as well. Approach your research as unbiasedly as you can, even look into the propaganda side. Sure we all laugh among ourselves at statements like "Pot makes you stupid", but people out there believe it, so you need to know where they're coming from.

Before you try to influence others, challenge yourself. Watch debates and try to refute the claims made in support of prohibition. Be ready to back up your counter claims with evidence. Things like peer reviewed articles and anything published in medical journals are always good for credibility, try to focus on them rather than radically pro-marijuana sites or groups for your evidence. The facts are on our side, but remember to not let yourself be disheartened by the multitude of government funded smear campaigns. There's been a lot of money put into fighting marijuana, and you need to be aware that as sad as it is, that makes them a powerful force.

Once your confident, start small. Talk to friends and family about it, if you can change even one persons mind, they could go on to convince somebody else. It might seem like a drop in the ocean, but every drop counts, especially at the point in history we are currently in.

I wish you the best of luck, and remember, you can always contact your politicians. Provide them with evidence to support your cause. You may not persuade them outright, but every voice counts, and if we cover their desks in messages of support for law reform, then they will have no choice but to acknowledge it whether they want to or not.

3. The federal government hasn't even responded to the states that legalized, hold your horses.

4. most people who actually smoke in wa hate 502 and voted against it. The reason it passed is it was endorsed by all sorts of politicians and police departments and is actually a new form of prohibition.
    If you want to pass something in your state it has to keep the rights of the people at its forefront, and doing that it will be hard to generate the support they had in wa.

5. please tell?

6. It is still a crime to smoke outside/ in public. It is a felony to possess more than one ounce. The penalties remain the same for growing, sharing or selling, and paraphernalia. Smoking with a friend who is over 18 but under 21 is a felony. No one is allowed to grow except commercial growers, who to apply must submit to an intensive background check and property inspection BEFORE they can grow any plants. Essentially you can have it but if you do smoke it, it better be in private in your own home. More rules are to be set by the wa state lcb and they have set the grower price at 3$ a gram, and the retailer's price 12$ per gram. Bud must be sold through a processor, who sells it to a store, who sells it to a customer. 25% is tax revenue for each sale made.

Besides all that, we just made legal a revolutionary idea in marijuana driving while intoxicated laws. We have set a legal threshold of nanograms of thc in our blood, and a regular smoker exceeds that level on a given day WITHOUT SMOKING!
    Basically, it becomes a felony to get behind the wheel if you like to blaze

Pretty twisted, but I do not think it will make much of a difference. Cops want to arrest the drunks where they can breathalyze on the spot. I think The mmj community will take a small hit, but continue to boom.

But yeah, this law is not all people sounded it out to be, though it is good someone is finally once again taking the feds head on on the issue

7. All your points are true but you also must realize, this legalization is brand new so obviously there will be some flaws in it. Give it some time, let people digest this first, hopefully by then there will be new approaches to the law. This is the first time in 80 years that marijuana is legalized, no one really knows which way to approach it so it'll take some time.