Wanting to build my own home recording studio, need some help!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Martinsaurusrex, Jun 6, 2011.

1. #1 Martinsaurusrex, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2011
    Hey guys, so I record most of my music out of my old home studio that was owned by my brother (all of the equipment was his) so I didn't really have to worry about any of the actual equipment... up until last night when I got the news that he's moving the remainder of his stuff. (That means everything I was using :[!) And I figured I would come here seeing as how I know some of you are audiophiles and could help me out. Anyway, all I need to know is what do I need? Seeing as how I didn't build my old studio, I don't know what to get for this one! If it means anything, I'm going to be using a Windows based computer for the editing, but as of August or September I'm going to be getting a new Macbook. So if you could give me a list of things I need then that'd be awesome!

Currently I'm looking at home bundles so I could save a little bit of cash, this is the one that caught my eye;

GuitarCenter

Now what else am I missing? My brothers studio costed him thousands upon thousands of dollars, so I'm completely clueless as to what else to get, I'm not looking to spend more than like ~600 dollars on all of this though. :eek:

Thanks in advance, and cheers <3

Ah, and a quick edit, I believe this is the right section for this, but if not then please move this to the proper one, I apologize in advance if it is in the incorrect section. :x

2. Well, you're missing the most important piece in that bundle listed. An interface!

GuitarCenter
    GuitarCenter
    GuitarCenter

All of those packages contain an interface, which is what you need to transfer your mic input to usb. If you're hoping to use more than two mics at the same time while recording, you'll need to drop more money on a nicer interface, but these would all be fine for basic singer/songwriter stuff (anything without full drum kit recordings)

3. #4 Martinsaurusrex, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016

Nice! Thanks! Is the first interface you linked able to supposrt 2 mics?

4. Yeah, but it only comes with one mic. If you're looking at buying more mics, I love the mxl two pack that's I think 100 bucks. It's the 990 and 991 and they come in a sweet case.

5. Yo cuh I make music all muthasuckin day fa real, you need a keyboard and some inspiration..ya dig?

6. #7 Martinsaurusrex, Jun 7, 2011

Haha, I make music as well. I picked up all my stuff already. Got my mics, my monitors, cables, software all of that stuff. I just need a midi controller and I'm all set. :)

7. I have a really basic home studio for doing demos, and have a 24 track recorder for more expansive recordings. since I am a drummer, I also use a Roland v drum set for demos. it all depends on what you are trying to do, how much space you have, etc. when I mike drums, I only use four, per the glyn johns method of drum micing. my studio has to be small because I live in a tiny apartment. but I get some decent sounding recordings most of the time.

8. As of August or September, dont get a Mac... lol

I'm not sure those packages will be your best bet. they all come with really small monitors. dont get me wrong, Fostex makes some mean monitors but the PM0.4 is a bit small and you wont really have very good frequency response in terms of low end.

The first package is a little better cause its got the 5" monitors and an MXL 990 (mic i always wanted)

9. 600 isn't much for a music budget.

I plan on spending 2k this summer on music stuff.:(

Also if you wait it out, research for a while, you'll find that its better to buy the right gear the first time instead of having to upgrade later

10. Hey guys, so I ended up waiting and spending 1k on it. Guitar center hooked it up. They give me solid monitors, 4 input USB audiobox from personus, 3 mic stands, 3 condensor mics (1 standard 2 acoustic recording) and pro tools!

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

11. Oh dude, you're set.

I use Sonar in Windows 7. I've using it for years - almost a decade. It's great. I think I can do as much in Sonar as some can do in Pro-tools and Logic.

I'm also working on a shoe-string budget, but to make a good sounding recording on that, it's all about technique.

Now, I've never been to school for it, but I've put in so many hours - just learning it and getting it. Mixing is fun. Mastering is hard but can be done with some presets and good plugins.

12. #13 Martinsaurusrex, Jun 10, 2011

I've already got Studio One: Artist, and if I keep on going with this will upgrade to Pro.

I'm not going to school for it either, I'm going for IT, but this is just a passion of mine, I love making music, so I figured I'll go all out when he took his stuff away.

Thanks for the feedback mate.

13. What monitors did you get?