WANTED: expert opinion in hydro department

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by hypocritisizer, Oct 20, 2011.

1. #1 hypocritisizer, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
    Seeds went in just over two weeks ago. Within 36 hours they sprouted and after a week transplanted the started cubes into 4x4 grodan blocks. I think I must have made a mistake when preparing the solution I used to condition the rockwool because soon after the transplant I began to notice signs of over feeding. Some stopped growing all together, real small, thick looking leaves. It wasn’t good. I think I may have accidently added too much of botanicare’s hydroplex, causing nutrient burn.
    I flushed and fed with RO water PH at 5.8 over the course of the following week and normal growth began to take place but some still seemed to be having problems.
    Today is day 19 and the seedlings are on their 4th set of leaves, over all everything seems to be trucking along but they’re some things I don’t like. I’m not seeing the consistency and vigor across the whole crop that id like. Also, a few plants are experiencing issues like leaf canoeing, tip burn, and some just don’t look too good at all.
    Here’s what’s I’m working with
    · 1000w digilux MH dimmed to 600w mode, air cooled, 30 inches away from canopy
    · 24/7 lights on
    · 16 inch osculating fan, approximately 2 feet away from the canopy
    · 10kbtu ac ducting ac from adjacent room into veg room.
    · Temps: 75-78 from 3am-3pm 78-85 3pm-3am
    · Humidity: 45%-65% 3am-3pm 55%-70% 3pm-3am
    The plants have been fed 100ml per day of-
    1. RO H2O
    2. Roots excelorator .4ml/4l
    3. Superthrive 1ml/4l
    4. Hygrozyme 6ml/4l
    5. Myco madness 1tsp/4l
    6. Myco maximum 1tsp/4l
    7. Botanicare cns17 grow 7ml/4l
    8. Camg 3ml/4l
    9. Solution is PH’d to 5.8

This is my first time doing this sort of thing so if I left out any info you’d like to hear just let me know and ill throw it in.

2. My advice is based on pure experience.

My advice to you is just to just "reset". What I mean by that is drain rez and just put in plain distilled water that of course has been ph'd. I do this when I feel the plant isn't growing optimal and or if I see something that's bothering me.

9 out of 10 times my plants will bounce back and their vigor will return.take it easy on the nutes. You'd be surprised just how long they can last without and still be perfectly healthy

3. image shack goes threw your photos... you need to remove them, they will delete your account... host them here on GC using the GC app, simple.... also some don't like to click outside links... so you might get more help

do you measure PPM? those numbers look high for the size of the plant(s) you have there

do you follow a nutrient schedule? do you have a link?

4. I'm not so much an expert, but I have had quality sucess with Botanicare.

I use the Power series of nutes, and RO filtered water.

So far my Botanicare TDS numbers have been off the charts, way above what I had been led to believe was safe.... I was patient and watched closely for burn...Flushed my tray and rez every 2 changes..Changed my rez weekly...Daily PH monitoring and adjusting...Turned out great...

Now I didnt look at all the pics, but from what I see, Id folow the advice of a previous post and flush with plain PH'd water. Then Id "feed" with RO'd, Cal+Mg added, PH'd soultion, Then just stick with that till you get some new segments, atlest 2 if not 3.

Good Luck:D

5. Got it. I'll stick with GC from now on. Thanks, i appreciate it.

yes, the ppms were 537 for the last feed there. ive been aiming at keeping ppms below 500 but i think i went way over on the rockwool soak..

Not exactly, I'm pretty close to the botanicare custom feed chart but I'll be using bud candy instead of sweet, final phase instead of clearex (or whatever botanicare's flushing product is), roots exelorator by house and garden instead of zho, superthrive, Humboldt nutrients myco madness and maximum and general hydroponics camg.
    heres the link to botanicares feed chart- http://botanicare.net/sites/default/files/BotanicareFeedSheet_1.pdf

I've been applying supplements at 1/2 and 1/4 strength but I'm guessing the combination of everything even at those reduce loads has just been too much for them to handle?

Do you have any recommendations on what strengths to use when trying to use so many additives?

6. I liked your advice here and went with it. I flushed them earlier today with RO water PH'd to 5.8. The ppms were at 23. I flushed with 100ml and tested the runoff. The PH of the runoff was 7.8 and the PPM's were at 1375. Obviously I've been doing something wrong… too many additives at too high rates?

Should I continue to flush for the next few days until I see the PPM's of the runoff drop to 400-500 and the PH closer to 5.8?
    Or should I give a light feeding tomorrow, the next day, and then flush again on the third?

Also, I'm concerned with PH swings in-between feeding in the rockwool cubes. I'm positive everything I've given them has had a PH at 5.8 so how is the runoff at 7.8? Some sort of drift or salt build up?

7. Thanks for the advice; I flushed today and hoping to see some improvements in the girls shortly. Are you experienced with flood and drain tables?

8. Sounds like too many products, especially for such gentle children.

I would feed them a 50/50 water and 7-up solution, and smear some peanut butter on the leaves. hah.

I think some nice reverse osmosis, or distilled water would do fine for a few days.

9. #9 hypocritisizer, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011

i dont know about the reverse osmosis or this "distilled water" you talk about (sounds like some snake oil scam these clever marketers have fooled you with.

but im feeling your idea about the peanut butter... jiffy or skippy? no others allowed in this house hold.. and the jiffy might be crunchy,, i fear the chunks would damage many stomatas..

but seriously.. lol

I understand... it's just all of the products I'm using are labeled with instructions telling me they're to be used at these times and in the quantities I've been applying. So my thoughts are something like this-
    All of these products are designed to be used during these stages of growth, but perhaps not all at the same time. So should I scale each product back in equal increments and use all products at these reduced rates per feeding? Or should I scale each product back, apply reduced loads of only a couple different products each feeding, (eventually leading to my adding of my reduced weekly recommended dose of each product over the course of a week) and then have a "flush" day? Or should I feed the base nutes each day, alternating supplements in the previously stated method and finishing with a "flush"?

I hope that makes sense...

10. I would flush for a couple days, then start with a light feeding with a couple selected products, and build from that.

11. Flush until you see a difference.

I would wait until the nutes that are already in the plant have run their course.

I sort of look at it like medicine. You wouldn't take more if you were overdosing. You would stop all together and wait to go back to normal.

Hope this helps!!

12. #12 hypocritisizer, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    Ok so after reading the enormous amount of advice, pointers and fan mail I’ve been receiving from this thread-

I flushed them with RO water PH to 5.8 ppm of 28 3 days in a row. Runoff tested (day 1, 2, 3)-
    1.\tPH 7.8 and ppm of 1375.
    2.\tppm 535 and the PH 7.5
    3.\tppm 230 PH 7.8.

I have observed any and all signs of burn halt in progression or disappear and new growth looks great but I can’t seem to shake the canoeing or taco effect on some of the more developed plants. It doesn’t seem to be hitting the smaller ones as hard.
    I think I have flushed the bulk of what salt build up I had acquired and the plants seem to have been surviving just fine on whatever they have already absorbed and what remains in the rock wool.

However, I’m only watering once a day and I believe during the time between feedings the PH of the moisture in the rockwool slowly becomes more basic as the plants absorbed the nutrients. This is why I see the canoeing in the larger plants, because they’re taking up more nutrients then the smaller ones and thus causing a greater swing in the PH (or perhaps the only plants even experiencing PH swing. I just thought of this right now but I collect the runoff from all the plants and test. There’s no way of knowing every plant has the same PH problem or if it’s only a few individuals… shit)

Could I be right or just extremely medicated?
    New rule… no more getting lit and coming up with tweaks for the garden...

Anyway I decided to rig up the flood and drain and do away with hand watering for now. Ill mix up a 15 gal rez (for now, I have bigger 25 gal I’ll be using later on)
    •\t2.5ml/4l CNS17 grow
    •\t2.5ml/4l CaMg

Ill flood briefly every 8 hours, check and adjusting the PH before every feeding in hopes of eliminating the PH swings.
    Sound good?

13. I think the canoeing has something to do with 3 things.

Humidity
    Temperature
    Fresh air

Mine are doing the something.

14. Upload new pics.....I wanna see

15. of those three..I'm thinking fresh air. It's the only thing my room does NOT get constantly. There's an a/c in the room next door and it's rigged up to ducting that brings in the a/c. because of the lower temperatures we've been experiencing lately I haven't had to run it. Thus not bringing in any fresh air. However, my temps and humidity are always damn close to perfect. 75-85 degrees and 50-70 percent humidity. And I have excellent air movement inside the room (aprox 5x10 with a 16 inch fan on 24/7).

So I'm down to either inadequate fresh air or unstable PH in my rockwool blocks in between feedings...

It makes me sad seeing them like this…I've been praying for somebody to pop on and be like “oh dude my last grow had the same problems! I just ____ and everything was better!” lol

16. Sorry for the lack of visuals... my picture taking ablities have been taken away at the moment but ill get some up tomorow around this time.

lots of them

:D

17. My plants are in my closet and I know for a fact they probably don't get enough fresh air. Eventhough growth is still green and healthy.